Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997032 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27600 on: February 18, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
Titanic

Much Much better then I thought it would be. Definitely better then Avatar. Could make my top 100. The romance itself is great, but what really makes this movie is the final hour when the boat sinks, it's just soo amazing. It's sentimental and big, but I fell for it. In a way I didn't really fall for Avatar.

Crazy Heart

BRIDGES!! I enjoyed it, I thought Bridges was great, Gyllenhaal was ok, Colin Farrell was pretty good. The movie is not very interesting, and a bit cliche, and Cooper's visual style has a couple of tricks but not much else. But Bridges makes this enjoyable.

His Girl Friday

I'm not exactly sure what just happened, but I think I enjoyed it.

Thought Farrell was particularly great in what limited screen time he had. Not as great as Bridges, but pretty close. He wasn't given all that much to do, but when he had to sell a scene he did it wonderfully.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27601 on: February 18, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
Sure, he's not Martin Scorsese, but not everybody has to be.  Does that mean Percy Jackson is good?  Probably not or it wouldn't be getting released in February but does it look like there's enough there to inspire the hatred that was no doubt spewed by those numpties over on /Film?

I agree. I was just pointing out that their hatred is not totally unfounded. You cant look at /Filmcast like you do FS. FS is obviously far superior, but the Filmcast it OK if you look at it as a bunch of random guys, of widely varying expertise, talking about film.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #27602 on: February 18, 2010, 12:18:33 PM »
His Girl Friday

I'm not exactly sure what just happened, but I think I enjoyed it.

Allow me to help.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27603 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Interesting, I saw the play twice, once on Broadway, and loved it but thought the film was pretty terrible.

Admittedly Rent is not one I've seen live (though I watched a filmed version of a stage performance that came out last year that I thought was distinctly worse than the cinematic version). It is kind of a mixed bag on whether I like live or filmed versions of musicals/plays. I like Phantom and Cats better in the filmed versions but Jesus Christ Superstar, Seven Brides, Doubt, and Streetcar Named Desire in the live versions I've seen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27604 on: February 18, 2010, 12:38:36 PM »
Interesting, I saw the play twice, once on Broadway, and loved it but thought the film was pretty terrible.

Admittedly Rent is not one I've seen live (though I watched a filmed version of a stage performance that came out last year that I thought was distinctly worse than the cinematic version). It is kind of a mixed bag on whether I like live or filmed versions of musicals/plays. I like Phantom and Cats better in the filmed versions but Jesus Christ Superstar, Seven Brides, Doubt, and Streetcar Named Desire in the live versions I've seen.

Ya, it's like the old adage "the book is always better". There is an energy seeing live theater that cannot be replicated on screen. To be fair to the filmed version of Rent, I was lucky enough to see the main cast of the Broadway version which would be considered by many among the best ever so I saw the film with a really high bar set.

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #27605 on: February 18, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »

Bill Maher's take on world religion in his documentary titled Religulous (Religion + Ridiculous) is, to put it simply, looking at the core of world religions and finding flaws in them. Maher says that to have faith is to give in. Instead, we should doubt and question every thing.

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. This is why rational people, anti-religionists, must end their timidity and come out of the closet and assert themselves. And those who consider themselves only moderately religious really need to look in the mirror and realize that the solace and comfort that religion brings you comes at a horrible price.

With the last sentence, Maher takes an extreme attitude towards religion. According to him, religion in any form is dangerous as it answers unanswered questions and gives power in the hands of people we don't want power given to.

I am a Liberterian, so I don't give a rat's ass about what you believe in. I, for your information, am agnostic. 7/10.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:53:39 PM by Pratters »

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #27606 on: February 18, 2010, 01:07:47 PM »
I don't want to saay too much about it, but "Revanche" is an absolute masterpiece. Powerful, and in the vein of Bresson. See it.

Saw it twice in the theater and left really impressed both times.  Antares isn't on Revanche's level but it's a fine film, methinks.  I'm not reminded of Bresson though.  I see it as a film of The Decalogue in the style of Haneke.

The film reminded me aeshtetically of "L'Argent" for some reason.

Hmm, I don't see it.  Could you expound?  It's not clear to me if this--

That's not the only aspect. The grandfather's house setting reminded me of the family's home setting in L'Argent, as well as the lack of score and the pacing.

The ending "sealing the deal" is reference to it being a masterpiece.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #27607 on: February 18, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »
Wow, the /filmcast attacks a movie by a 'fashionable to hate' director, I'm shocked.

Sometimes it's fashionable to hate a director for a reason. He has an impressively long list of really bad films. ;)

He has made one good movie (Doubtfire) and a couple OK ones (Potter and Home Alone), although I realize most people love Potter. He has made 9 really bad movies. Overall RT 33%.

Calling Mrs. Doubtfire good is being pretty generous. That movie didn't hold up for me at all. Home Alone is still entertaining. Other than that, he's responsible for the worst of the Harry Potter movies (not entirely his fault, the child actors have a lot to do with that) and a couple of real stinkers, including the totally dreadful schlockfest that is Stepmom. Sounds like it's just a case of kicking a guy when he's down (for most of his career).

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #27608 on: February 18, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
I still like Mrs. Doubtfire.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #27609 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »
I still like Mrs. Doubtfire.

Mrs. Doubtfire is a great movie. A great movie. So is Hone Alone.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

love