Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997715 times)

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27610 on: February 18, 2010, 01:51:33 PM »
Mrs. Doubtfire and Home Alone are very good kids movies.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #27611 on: February 18, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
I don't want to saay too much about it, but "Revanche" is an absolute masterpiece. Powerful, and in the vein of Bresson. See it.

Saw it twice in the theater and left really impressed both times.  Antares isn't on Revanche's level but it's a fine film, methinks.  I'm not reminded of Bresson though.  I see it as a film of The Decalogue in the style of Haneke.

The film reminded me aeshtetically of "L'Argent" for some reason.

Hmm, I don't see it.  Could you expound?  It's not clear to me if this--

That's not the only aspect. The grandfather's house setting reminded me of the family's home setting in L'Argent, as well as the lack of score and the pacing.

Gotcha.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #27612 on: February 18, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »
Sure, he's not Martin Scorsese, but not everybody has to be.  Does that mean Percy Jackson is good?  Probably not or it wouldn't be getting released in February but does it look like there's enough there to inspire the hatred that was no doubt spewed by those numpties over on /Film?

I agree. I was just pointing out that their hatred is not totally unfounded. You cant look at /Filmcast like you do FS. FS is obviously far superior, but the Filmcast it OK if you look at it as a bunch of random guys, of widely varying expertise, talking about film.

Why should they be looked at differently? They present themselves as critics, every chance they get they talk up their inside connections or talk about their opinions on film/TV as if they are the opinions of critics and should be used as a barometer by those thinking of seeing said film/TV show. They put out a terrible show full of nothing but hyperbolic opinions and try to masquerade as critics, and none of that would even be a problem if once, just once they managed to articulate an argument so that it made the least bit of sense or could hold up in any sort of debate.

By the way, as far as maligned Columbus films go, Bicentennial Man is a decent watch. It falls apart in the final act, but Columbus makes a decent sci-fi yarn and all in all puts forth a respectable effort with that film.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #27613 on: February 18, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
So is Hone Alone.

Ah, the fond memories I have of little Culkin sitting in his room honing his skills in silence.  ;D

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #27614 on: February 18, 2010, 02:15:01 PM »
Mrs. Doubtfire and Home Alone are very good kids movies.

Wrong. I watched Mrs. Doubtfire again recently. It's really good. Speaks very well to the state of divorced families even today. And Home Alone is just plain awesome. Saw that a year ago on the big screen and it was tons of fun. In fact, I wasn't even a big fan of Home Alone as a kid, but I love it now.

Plus, how could you not love a movie that has this in it?
Home Alone - Angels With Filthy Souls (only the clip)

Sure, he's not Martin Scorsese, but not everybody has to be.  Does that mean Percy Jackson is good?  Probably not or it wouldn't be getting released in February but does it look like there's enough there to inspire the hatred that was no doubt spewed by those numpties over on /Film?

I agree. I was just pointing out that their hatred is not totally unfounded. You cant look at /Filmcast like you do FS. FS is obviously far superior, but the Filmcast it OK if you look at it as a bunch of random guys, of widely varying expertise, talking about film.

Why should they be looked at differently? They present themselves as critics, every chance they get they talk up their inside connections or talk about their opinions on film/TV as if they are the opinions of critics and should be used as a barometer by those thinking of seeing said film/TV show. They put out a terrible show full of nothing but hyperbolic opinions and try to masquerade as critics, and none of that would even be a problem if once, just once they managed to articulate an argument so that it made the least bit of sense or could hold up in any sort of debate.

That's all very unfair. I find that they often make really good points. Unfortunately their show often works out like an internet forum where people drown out the good point being made so that it all sounds bad. But they really don't masquerade as critics. They simply relate their own opinions. And I actually enjoy the fact that it isn't discussion totally focused on deep intelligent analysis. They're just a bunch of guys who love movies and like to talk about them. Also, I don't think Quigley was being unfair to Lightning Thief. I have seen a good majority of the film and all of his complaints were well-articulated and completely valid.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #27615 on: February 18, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »
Sure, he's not Martin Scorsese, but not everybody has to be.  Does that mean Percy Jackson is good?  Probably not or it wouldn't be getting released in February but does it look like there's enough there to inspire the hatred that was no doubt spewed by those numpties over on /Film?

That's all very unfair. I find that they often make really good points. Unfortunately their show often works out like an internet forum where people drown out the good point being made so that it all sounds bad. But they really don't masquerade as critics. They simply relate their own opinions. And I actually enjoy the fact that it isn't discussion totally focused on deep intelligent analysis. They're just a bunch of guys who love movies and like to talk about them. Also, I don't think Quigley was being unfair to Lightning Thief. I have seen a good majority of the film and all of his complaints were well-articulated and completely valid.

We've had this discussion before, and I still disagree. I think they do present themselves as critics and I find them to be equal parts pretentious and idiotic, which is a terrible combination.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27616 on: February 18, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »

We've had this discussion before, and I still disagree. I think they do present themselves as critics and I find them to be equal parts pretentious and idiotic, which is a terrible combination.

That is fair Bill. I get the distinct impression that you dont like any critics though so I imagine the /Film guys are just one among them.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #27617 on: February 18, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »

That is fair Bill. I get the distinct impression that you dont like any critics though so I imagine the /Film guys are just one among them.

I actually like a few critics, I love Ebert and Kermode, and I'm very high on Phillips. I've been coming around on A.O. Scott, but I'm still not completely in the like boat with him, and I will read what Desson Thomson, Vincent Canby and Bosely Crowther have to say about some films that I watch. I don't always agree with the above guys, but I can understand their side of things and like the way they frame their arguments, for the most part at least, and that's not something I find in a lot of other critics.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27618 on: February 18, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »

I actually like a few critics, I love Ebert and Kermode, and I'm very high on Phillips. I've been coming around on A.O. Scott, but I'm still not completely in the like boat with him, and I will read what Desson Thomson, Vincent Canby and Bosely Crowther have to say about some films that I watch. I don't always agree with the above guys, but I can understand their side of things and like the way they frame their arguments, for the most part at least, and that's not something I find in a lot of other critics.

Fair enough, those are certainly the best critics (except Phillips whom I like but his Pixar fanboyism is WAY out of control).

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #27619 on: February 18, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
Almost all critics annoy me(well, most, anyway). I enjoy Roger Ebert, Jim Emerson, Mike D'Angelo, Filmspotting, Michael Philips and Glenn Kenny, amongst others, I can't read most criticism though, especially when it's pretentiously snide when reviewing a genuine film(not like, The Proposal or something) . Like, who the fu** are you, Rex Reed, to think you're better than the artist you're reviewing? It's like 90% of critics are trying to be Addison DeWitt and it can be pretty noxious. Like it or not, you do need criticism though. It's essential to any artform.

I realized at a certain point that /Filmcast just wasn't for me. No point in complaining about a show for which I am certainly not an intended audience member(though I do like some of the geek shit that they talk about). When they go outside of that zone was when I got frustrated, and it wasn't to my taste.

Kermode I can only take in small doses. Sometimes I find he can be funny and perceptive, and other times he can come off as surprisingly middle-brow(which is a little odd considering his horror love), and it sometimes makes his ravings a little intolerable. His "I'm right and everyone else is wrong" schtick gets pretty old as well. He is entertaining though, which is more than what you can say for alot of critics, and why I remain a fan.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:46:48 PM by Holly Harry »
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

love