Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998065 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27650 on: February 19, 2010, 09:18:13 AM »

Brief Interviews With Hideous Men
I was deeply moved by this movie on an intellectual level. It really makes me want to read the book. The discussion about the current state of feminism, and how it seems to have not effected men is great, but so is the points about humiliation and pain and how it makes one a stronger person.  The ideas of this film are woven together brilliantly, and I was captivated from the very first.  However, the performances were for the most part lackluster and just uninteresting, except for Dominic Cooper, Frankie Faison, and one scene by John Kraninski.  But still fascinating.  Much more interesting than Roger Dodger, a film that covers some of the same territory.    4/5

I'm so glad you liked it! That Frankie Faison scene is on a whole other level.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #27651 on: February 19, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »
Revanche
A truly stunning tale of loss and revenge that plays like Shakespearean tragedy, but with understated performances and a realism that really adds to the incredible tension the film sustains.  I think my favorite thing about the film is how it takes an exceptionally melodramatic plot and plays it as realistically as possible.  The cinematography is gorgeous, editing is spot on.  Performers are all very good.  Actually, my very favorite thing in the film is how Johannes Krisch, as Alex, chops wood.  He conveys so much emotion in his stance, restrained motion and powerful blows.
A

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #27652 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:31 PM »
The Man Who Wasn't There (2001, Joel and Ethan Coen)  Grade: A-

Goose Egg Marathon Film #28

You come to expect a certain level of quality going into a Coen Brother's film.  You know the cinematography will be impeccable, the characters will be memorable, the dialog witty, and at it's core will be a member of the fringe getting in over his head in an effort to better his life.  In this case, did the Coen brothers deliver yet again.  And did the sum of its parts add up to a collective masterpiece?...  (more...)

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #27653 on: February 19, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »

The Decalogue 1-3
I believe that  Krzysztof Kieślowski is truly one of the greatest writer/directors of all time.  

The Decalogue is fantastic - it has been about 10 years since I last saw it, but it is still a favourite of mine!

A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love both expand on this series perfectly - adding a lot of detail to part 5 & 6.

I'm trying to figure out which I should watch first-- the rest of the Decalogue or the two "Short Films".  What do you think?

Watch The Decalogue ones first in two ways:

1) Decalogue 4 - 10 then watch A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love
2) Decalogue 4, Decalogue 5, A Short Film About Killing, Decalogue 6, A Short Film About Love, Decalogue 7-10
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #27654 on: February 19, 2010, 01:45:55 PM »
So yeah, interesting but I have to admit that this has me a little worried about my plans of watching all those super-long films he's made.

As for Rivette, Celine and Julie Go Boating is totally breezy.

I've seen only seen a few films that are just as fun at the very least as CaJGB.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #27655 on: February 19, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »
Reading from page 1835.  Wanna respond to quite a few things.  I deeply hate this thread.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #27656 on: February 19, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »
Shutter Island

I saw a movie today and it was a movie. Or was it really a movie? Or maybe I dreamt the movie. Or maybe the movie was the dream. But maybe I didn't see anything or dream anything. Or maybe it was all real and it actually happened. It's possible that what I saw was actually there but it wasn't there at all and it was just a figment of an imagination. Or maybe a pigment. By was it my pigment and was it my imagination? Does it make sense that I am not sure what I saw and if I saw it yet I am definitely haunted by those fine lines between the lines that may not exist at all? Does what I am saying make any sense. Is there any sense to be made or to be had and if so is there even a point searching. Or maybe the searching is the point.

*This has been another review by roujin FroHam.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #27657 on: February 19, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
And knowing that things like Dancer in the Dark or Dogville weren’t quite as controversial really makes me wonder what all the fuss is about.

Eh, they were both fairly controversial, mainly when it comes to the treatment of America. But yeah, the controversy takes a back seat to the films.

I love Europa. As for the reason with the black and white and color, as for my interpretation, keep in mind when the film takes place. It's post-WWII, a black and white era, and with the movie taking place at a basically evolving industry, the world is about to be thrown into the latter half of the 20th century, a color era. It's already halfway there. Anyway, it looks cool. Apparently inspired Spielberg and the Schindler's List aeshtetic.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #27658 on: February 19, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
Reading from page 1835.  Wanna respond to quite a few things.  I deeply hate this thread.

ahhh...that was a great page.  CS Schneider's great personal reflections on Jesus Camp.  Brief discussion about Jet Li's  Fearless and Matty's dismissal of The Fountain

We meed a "Unofficial write-about-the-last-movie-you-watched flashback thread"
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #27659 on: February 19, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »
And knowing that things like Dancer in the Dark or Dogville weren’t quite as controversial really makes me wonder what all the fuss is about.

Eh, they were both fairly controversial, mainly when it comes to the treatment of America.

And women.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love