Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996689 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27900 on: February 24, 2010, 08:33:57 AM »
Carrie

Best horror film ever? Maybe.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #27901 on: February 24, 2010, 08:58:24 AM »

Broken Embraces (Pedro Almodovar, 2009)
Drenching the screen in reds, yellows, blues and greens, Almodovar goes Hitchcock, and Powell, and Sirk, sort of, but he pulls his punches when it comes to delivering the melodramatic narrative, in a way I haven't seen before. Can't really decide if this was a good thing, or a dulling of his ravishing cinematic talents. Certainly he seems to be working to create a different sort of film, with all the meta-ness, the intertextuality - Women on the Verge and all that - but it reminds me a lot of What Have I Done to Deserve This?, just with 25 years of extra artistic baggage, where lots of things happen but I'll be damned if I can really get into the nuts-and-bolts of what is actually happening. Perhaps it doesn't matter. I might need to watch it again. Certainly wouldn't be a strain on the eyes, with the cinematography, and Penelope Cruz confirming (as if she really needed to) her status as the preeminent star of her time.

Yes, Penelope Cruz is fantastical.

Sweeney Todd is probably Burton's best film, and it's sad that another film like it will never be made again.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #27902 on: February 24, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
Sweeney Todd Edward Scissorhands is probably Burton's best film, and it's sad that another film like it will never be made again.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27903 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:50 AM »
World's Greatest Dad

I can divide this into two parts.  The beginning I loved, the dysfunctional elements of it reminded me of Squid and the Whale and I believed everything about it.  Until after the main event and then I pretty much didn't buy anybody's reaction to what happened.

I had been really looking forward to this since I really liked Sleeping Dogs Lie.  To me, that movie stayed consistent throughout and I believed the emotional impact of what happens.  But in the end, WGD lost my interest as I just didn't believe the reactions were true to what would happen.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27904 on: February 24, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
Carrie

Great analysis.  There was a time when DePalma was my favorite director.  Hard to believe now.  I hope you watch more.  In particular, I'd love to get your take on Dressed To Kill, Body Double and Casualties of War.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27905 on: February 24, 2010, 11:45:26 AM »
Carrie

Great analysis.  There was a time when DePalma was my favorite director.  Hard to believe now.  I hope you watch more.  In particular, I'd love to get your take on Dressed To Kill, Body Double and Casualties of War.
I will most definitely be watching more De Palma in the future.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #27906 on: February 24, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »
Watch out for facedad!

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #27907 on: February 24, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »
You people are killing me.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #27908 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
World's Greatest Dad

I can divide this into two parts.  The beginning I loved, the dysfunctional elements of it reminded me of Squid and the Whale and I believed everything about it.  Until after the main event and then I pretty much didn't buy anybody's reaction to what happened.

I had been really looking forward to this since I really liked Sleeping Dogs Lie.  To me, that movie stayed consistent throughout and I believed the emotional impact of what happens.  But in the end, WGD lost my interest as I just didn't believe the reactions were true to what would happen.

I had a similar reaction.  I rate this as my disappointment of the year.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27909 on: February 24, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
Brotherhood of the Wolf

This film just seemed bloated to me, though admittedly I was watching the Director's Cut, and sometimes that is a chance for the Director to indulge in all the scenes that were cut out of the theatrical cut for damned good reasons. I mean, the film is titled Brotherhood of the Wolf, and then the existence of such a brotherhood is treated as some sort of shock 2/3 of the way in? It has a few other obvious plot reveals, I mean there is no way that the guy who brags about how he uses a unique bullet to mark his kills would be revealed by his bullet later in the movie, is there?

And the romantic elements seem to be introduced just as an excuse for some witty banter or else to provide a convenient furthering of a plot point rather than any particular viability, which makes it easy for them to be ignored for large sections of the movie. On the whole the film just tries to be too epic, with too many elaborate false ends that add very little. The cinematography captures its self-import in the battle scenes where slow motion is used nearly to the point of satire...battle scenes that feel right out of Prince of Persia (whose film adaptation will probably incorporate a lot of these techniques) with its repetitive, nameless hordes. It was all big and grandiose, but did not add up to anything for me.