love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996207 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #27910 on: February 24, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie 2009)

I was not going to see this film because the ads implied it was more an action film with Sherlock Holmes punching his way out of situations. That is not the Sherlock Holmes I think of. Still, I ended up seeing it and was very pleasantly surprised. My favourite Holmes is Jeremy Brent, but Robert Downey Jr makes a good Holmes and Jude Law a good foil in Watson. Downey Jr plays Holmes with a glint of madness in his eye. They have dropped obvious references to his opium use, preferring to have him bare knuckle fight instead. Funny what that says about our society. Anyway this is not the pure cerebral Holmes, nor is it an action one, but it is an interesting mix.

The visualisation of London in the 1890's is very impressive. It looked like it is lived in with a variety of people. Gritty and hard, but without the Dickensian vagabond children, a very believable recreation of the time. Oh course that is coming from someone with little knowledge of the time.

While some of those who watched this with me were bored after the first hour, I enjoyed the whole time. Of course they also enjoyed the eye candy of Downey Jr, even if suspicious that his six pack was computer enhanced. An acceptable way of spending 2 hours, but don't expect any non-technical awards.

Why See It? An unexpectedly good yarn.

flieger

« Reply #27911 on: February 24, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
While some of those who watched this with me were bored after the first hour, I enjoyed the whole time. Of course they also enjoyed the eye candy of Downey Jr, even if suspicious that his six pack was computer enhanced.

So did you enjoy his six-pack?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27912 on: February 24, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »
Whip It (2009 Drew Barrymore)

Like Sherlock Holmes an enjoyable time spent. I was disappointed that the younger sister and the violent roller babes were dropped out of the story after good set ups. It seems like they were victims of a late change in the film making.

Why See It? To see the directorial début of Drew Barrymore and have a bit of fun.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27913 on: February 24, 2010, 01:55:06 PM »
While some of those who watched this with me were bored after the first hour, I enjoyed the whole time. Of course they also enjoyed the eye candy of Downey Jr, even if suspicious that his six pack was computer enhanced.

More jealous, but Downey is not hard on the eye.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #27914 on: February 24, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »

More jealous, but Downey is not hard on the eye.

If anything I find the mileage on him these days to be even more attractive.

One thing that bugged me about the movie was the scene where they get out of a cab with the half-built bridge looming in the background--I thought "Climactic final battle will be on the bridge and the bad guy will die by falling from it" at that moment.  How cool would it be to just once see a movie with a big looming structure that DOESN'T figure in the story...?

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #27915 on: February 24, 2010, 02:20:01 PM »
I love MacGuffins!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #27916 on: February 24, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
World's Greatest Dad
I just didn't believe the reactions were true to what would happen.

Satire works like that.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27917 on: February 24, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
Brotherhood of the Wolf

Harumph, I Say!

I loved the over-the-top nature of the entire enterprise.  It was full of great artistic flourishes, utilizing sex and violence to further cinema.  (I'm thinking of stuff like the naked woman whose body dissolves into the landscape, and the moment of muddy, splashy horror punctuated with freeze-frames.)

This movie is the feature-length equal of Russell Crowe in Gladiator screaming "Are You Not Entertained!"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #27918 on: February 24, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
Brotherhood of the Wolf

Harumph, I Say!

I loved the over-the-top nature of the entire enterprise.  It was full of great artistic flourishes, utilizing sex and violence to further cinema.  (I'm thinking of stuff like the naked woman whose body dissolves into the landscape, and the moment of muddy, splashy horror punctuated with freeze-frames.)

This movie is the feature-length equal of Russell Crowe in Gladiator screaming "Are You Not Entertained!"

That breast mountain thing was great.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #27919 on: February 24, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

Liked it, didn't love it, but it definitely has it's moments. Josh Charles and Chris "with the tits" Meloni were definite standouts, though I don't think anyone came close to Frankie Faison and his entire scene. MAN. When they talk about "one-scene" Oscar nominations, this is what I wish would get recognition.