Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3689749 times)

joem18b

• Elite Member
    • does writing excuse watching?
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #28250 on: March 10, 2010, 02:19:13 AM »
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

The old saying is that a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. I think you could also say a conservative is a liberal who watched the first half of Precious. I was really concerned through the first 45 minutes of so of this that seemed to be playing up every racial stereotype that makes me want to go off into a lecture on personal responsibility and reform welfare. It seems every film that looks into a predominantly black school has to have the rowdy students who make the class utterly ineffective. I think how as a student of that age it would have never occurred to me that that was acceptable behavior. You've got her "welfare queen" mother and really hideous diets.

But as the film develops through the second half it goes a long way towards redemption, indulging more liberal motives to desire a more effective social safety net (though I'm a bit surprised at one point she talks about never having seen a doctor...she should be qualified for Medicaid) that gives people a better chance at breaking the cycle of poverty and you see her trying to break out.

I almost think Mo'nique is the main problem here. Her character is so unrelentingly vicious she makes Hans Landa look like a teddy bear and her scenes just seem overwrought. The film introduces more interesting characters that are underdeveloped that I would have rather spent time with. This being the case, it is an imperfect but ultimately worthwhile venture.

theater i was sitting in, for the most part, the conservative whites said i tole you so, the liberal whites said well oh my, and the blacks laughed out loud, especially at that sly devil Mo'nique.

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #28251 on: March 10, 2010, 03:28:46 AM »
Woohoo!

Saw that it's on the Instant Netflix (along with some other Jias), I'm looking forward to watching it again.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #28252 on: March 10, 2010, 03:50:59 AM »
Platform (Jia Zhangke, 2000)

flieger, you write the best reviews on the boards, hands down.  My only complaint is the way you format your reviews.  Why don't you double space between paragraphs or something?   :)  It's kind of hard on my eyes.

Anyway, Platform is my favorite Jia by far.  I love his compositions in it but I reserve the description of complex complicated compositions for, say, 60s and 70s Jancso or 90s Hou.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:37:26 AM by Still Walking »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #28253 on: March 10, 2010, 04:50:23 AM »
"Stalker" (Tarkovsky)

I was riveted. Clearly one of the best films ever made. Nice to see a Sci-Fi film that uses the genre to explore ideas as opposed to being merely a platform for spectacle.

It's one of the few films that left me in awe after seeing them for the first time.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28254 on: March 10, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
Paranoid Park (Gus Van Sant, 2007)

I just caught up with this one yesterday but didn't enjoy it much. The problem is the material. There's not enough of it. Half the movie is spent watching people mill around in slow motion. While this was effective in setting the mood it did nothing to advance the story or keep my attention. Isn't 10 seconds of watching people walk down a hallway long enough? Why, in this movie, does it need to last for a full minute? Lots of time to think, not a lot to think about. That was my experience in a nutshell. Not bad, not good.

I'm much more excited about catching up with Milk. Mainstream Van Sant is what I enjoy (Gerry being the exception).

IMDB link
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:49:24 PM by smirnoff »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #28255 on: March 10, 2010, 10:29:34 AM »
blame roujin for the format

Always blaming someone else. Glad you liked it.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28256 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »
Shinjuku Incident

This was very dark for a Jackie Chan film.  Its not a martial arts film, rather its a Japanese Yakuza film starring Jackie Chan as the leader of a gang of illegal Chinese immigrants in Tokyo and their rise to power.  Its not great, but its interesting watching Chan tackle some of the darkest material of his career and deliver a solid performance.  Again, not amazing, but worth a look.

Grade C
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #28257 on: March 10, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »

I just caught up with this one yesterday but didn't enjoy it much. The problem is the material. There's not enough of it. Half the movie is spent watching people mill around in slow motion. While this was effective in setting the mood it did nothing to advance the story or keep my attention.
I'd argue the entire film is a mood piece so I'd half to disagree. You don't really watch art films for consistent plot advancement.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #28258 on: March 10, 2010, 11:27:42 AM »

I just caught up with this one yesterday but didn't enjoy it much. The problem is the material. There's not enough of it. Half the movie is spent watching people mill around in slow motion. While this was effective in setting the mood it did nothing to advance the story or keep my attention.
I'd argue the entire film is a mood piece so I'd half to disagree. You don't really watch art films for consistent plot advancement.

I gotta agree with Sam here. I don't really understand what you were expecting, noff.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #28259 on: March 10, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »
Le Trou
Hate to move Grand Illusion or Great Escape over as my favorite prison break movie, but I have to. Becker's Le Trou has an excellent dynamic between its characters, and every step of the process is perfectly directed. He knows when to be meticulous, showing us long takes that build suspense, and when to be brief. All the actors to a great job, suprised they were all non actors prior to this one.

5/5