Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998149 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #28510 on: March 10, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »
Shinjuku Incident

This was very dark for a Jackie Chan film.  Its not a martial arts film, rather its a Japanese Yakuza film starring Jackie Chan as the leader of a gang of illegal Chinese immigrants in Tokyo and their rise to power.  Its not great, but its interesting watching Chan tackle some of the darkest material of his career and deliver a solid performance.  Again, not amazing, but worth a look.

Grade C
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28511 on: March 10, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
Paranoid Park (Gus Van Sant, 2007)

I just caught up with this one yesterday but didn't enjoy it much. The problem is the material. There's not enough of it. Half the movie is spent watching people mill around in slow motion. While this was effective in setting the mood it did nothing to advance the story or keep my attention.
I'd argue the entire film is a mood piece so I'd half to disagree. You don't really watch art films for consistent plot advancement.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #28512 on: March 10, 2010, 11:27:42 AM »

I just caught up with this one yesterday but didn't enjoy it much. The problem is the material. There's not enough of it. Half the movie is spent watching people mill around in slow motion. While this was effective in setting the mood it did nothing to advance the story or keep my attention.
I'd argue the entire film is a mood piece so I'd half to disagree. You don't really watch art films for consistent plot advancement.

I gotta agree with Sam here. I don't really understand what you were expecting, noff.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #28513 on: March 10, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »
Le Trou
Hate to move Grand Illusion or Great Escape over as my favorite prison break movie, but I have to. Becker's Le Trou has an excellent dynamic between its characters, and every step of the process is perfectly directed. He knows when to be meticulous, showing us long takes that build suspense, and when to be brief. All the actors to a great job, suprised they were all non actors prior to this one.

5/5

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #28514 on: March 10, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »

I, for one, fully support the smirnoff in this case. Although I actively disliked the material, I appreciated the mood and cinematography, but felt Van Sant was way too indulgent with it.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #28515 on: March 10, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
When I get the chance to make a movie I will indulge myself to the extreme.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28516 on: March 10, 2010, 12:23:56 PM »

I gotta agree with Sam here. I don't really understand what you were expecting, noff.

I didn't know what to expect going in. I didn't read the synopsis, didn't know the genre and didn't know the style. If I had I probably wouldn't have rented it because I'm not much of an art-house guy. All I knew is that it was GVS and that the buzz was positive. That was enough for me to give it a chance. I try not to know everything about a film before going in if I can help it, and sometimes that comes back to bite me. It's certainly not Van Sant's fault I was destined not to enjoy PP. I should've made that clear in my review. That's my fault.

Anyways, I hope now that 2.5 star rating isn't so wrong looking. I'm not rating the film after all, I'm rating my experience.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28517 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »

Fart jokes. Thousands and thousands of fart jokes.

Right? ;)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #28518 on: March 10, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »

Fart jokes. Thousands and thousands of fart jokes.

Right? ;)

Maybe even a shart or two.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #28519 on: March 10, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »
Howl's Moving Castle (Hayao Miyazaki, 2004)

I appreciate this movie more each time I watch it. The story is wonderfully whimsical, it's pure fantasy in the most fun way. Sophie is a wonderful protagonist, and a great guide through this crazy story. It's ultimately a personal story about her, but there's also a lot going on in the backdrop that is really fascinating. The awesome steampunk world, all the character's histories, the politics of the war, the mythology of sorcery: it all adds a considerable amount of depth to an already entertaining story.

I was watching it with someone who hadn't seen it before, so I was a lot more conscious about the ending, which is admittedly, very silly. Not necessarily in a bad way, there's something kind of awesome about how quickly and neatly everything manages to wrap up, but it is startlingly upbeat. The only thing I can't really get behind is the song that plays during the ending, which I feel takes it too far over the top and distracts from what's going on (not helped by the song being translated into the subtitles over the dialogue...Come to think of it I should check to see how they handled it in the English dub).

I'd really like to check out the source novel now, as I imagine it elaborates on a lot of the elements I love from the movie.

love