Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998422 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #28800 on: March 18, 2010, 12:48:56 AM »
Clockwork Orange had the same effect on me with classical music.  I watched it first in high school and have listened to classical music ever since.  I was never a big Mozart fan though. 

I am not a huge Mozart fan either. More of a Beethoven person.

Yeah...he's not bad... Of course, it is my first classical CD since Clockwork plays the 9th Symphony over and over.  Mahler would be my favorite but I like Prokofiev for piano concertos.  One think I tried to get my friends to do is actually go to a Symphony performance, it is quite amazing how dynamic the sound from the orchestra can be.  the CD's can never compare.  When I wan in college, I use to be able to get student tickets for $2 to the City orchestra so I use to go almost every performance for a couple of years unless it got sold out.

Now tickets are more like $100:(
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #28801 on: March 18, 2010, 12:52:31 AM »
i have the same reaction to classical as progrock.  sure its great that y'all have all this talent and what not but Elvis Costello is like 8000x the songwriter you'll ever be.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #28802 on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:04 AM »
i have the same reaction to classical as progrock.  sure its great that y'all have all this talent and what not but Elvis Costello is like 8000x the songwriter you'll ever be.

I love Elvis Costello.  You tube has a great click with him playing and Fiona Apple singing "I Want You"  Sorry everybody for the off topics
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28803 on: March 18, 2010, 01:01:32 AM »
Clockwork Orange had the same effect on me with classical music.  I watched it first in high school and have listened to classical music ever since.  I was never a big Mozart fan though. 

Yeah...he's not bad... Of course, it is my first classical CD since Clockwork plays the 9th Symphony over and over.  Mahler would be my favorite but I like Prokofiev for piano concertos.  One think I tried to get my friends to do is actually go to a Symphony performance, it is quite amazing how dynamic the sound from the orchestra can be.  the CD's can never compare.  When I wan in college, I use to be able to get student tickets for $2 to the City orchestra so I use to go almost every performance for a couple of years unless it got sold out.

I've had symphony and opera season tickets for a few years now and I love it, although I have pretty much seen all the major operas several times now so I may not buy them again next year.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #28804 on: March 18, 2010, 02:57:27 AM »
My Kid Could Paint That (2007, Amir Bar-Lev)

Clovis' recent comments on this film had me pining to watch it again.  Plus, it helps me find its placement in my Top 50 of the decade.  Clovis, I love you man, but shoot, you're just wrong on this one!  

My long-winded extended thoughts here:  http://www.filmspotting.net/boards/index.php?topic=7522.msg422418#msg422418

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:31:36 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28805 on: March 18, 2010, 02:59:46 AM »
My Kid Could Paint That (2007, Amir Bar-Lev)

Clovis, I love you man, but shoot, you're just wrong on this one! 

It's certainly not the first time nor will it be the last I am sure. :D

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28806 on: March 18, 2010, 03:31:26 AM »
The Kid (1921)

It's Charlie Chaplin!! Who doesn't love Chaplin? Anyways, Chaplin cares for this abandoned kid, but then the mother wants him back and Chaplin-esque hilarity ensues. CHAPLIN!!
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #28807 on: March 18, 2010, 06:00:34 AM »

I've had symphony and opera season tickets for a few years now and I love it, although I have pretty much seen all the major operas several times now so I may not buy them again next year.

I know this thread is getting off topic, so I started a new thread in Music to share musical examples from film. Not a best of list, perhaps more a catalogue of good or inspiring stuff you have heard recently and would like others to know about: http://www.filmspotting.net/boards/index.php?topic=7525.0
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Daedalus

• Visit my blog at www.thelabyrinth.me
    • Robin Cunningham's Blog
« Reply #28808 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:26 AM »
I watched "The Messenger" and was a little under-whelmed.  I had listened to interviews with the screen-writers over at the Creative Screenwriters Magazine podcast and was intrigued by the thoughtfulness of the writers and the ripeness of the premise.  I have always liked Ben Foster, and Samantha Morton and felt that if Woody Harrelson received a nomination for his performance that this movie was sure to please.

What I found was that despite the performances, which were all good, the actors playing the Next Of Kin continually pulled me out of the story.  I felt that their displays of grief bordered on the histrionic.  I find that usually it is more powerful when the character on screen feels the grief, and then does not cry, or wail, or vomit.  It allows me to feel their courage and their conflict much more accutely.  Not to say that their reactions are not authentic, but just that they don't show me anything beyond the ordinary and so maybe those reactions don't belong in a film.

I was also puzzled by the storyline between Samantha Morton and Ben Foster.  Perhaps it was a lack of chemistry between them, but I didn't feel why Ben was so drawn to this widow.  They had lovely moments together, like the first time he comes in to her house (awkward!  How many times have I been there?), but they never really got my heart pounding.

What did get my heart pounding was the last scene of the film.  It was very moving to have that story told so simply, and then watch the ice melt around Woody Harrelson's heart.  It definitely left me feeling like a worthwhile story had been told.

At the end of the day, it was likely my own critical mind that left me under-whelmed, because "The Messenger" had some great moments.  I look forward to hearing what other peoples experience with the film was.
Get lost in the labyrinth.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #28809 on: March 18, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
The Prestige

First time i watched it since it originally came out.  Even though I knew the story, it didn't lose anything the second time.  Though I liked The Dark Knight, I would rather Nolan explore more films like this moving forward.

love