love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997473 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #29520 on: April 02, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
You Can Count On Me (Kenneth Lonergan, 2000)

I really can't fault this film for anything. I enjoyed every minute of it. Laura Linney and Mark Ruffalo give two great performances, and Matthew Broderick also deserves a lot of credit for his role as the uptight bank manager. This wasn't one of those dramas that feels larger than life. It's believable and natural, and still plenty compelling.

I'll write more about it later but I really liked all of the scenes with Ruffalo and Culkin.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #29521 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
You Can Count On Me (Kenneth Lonergan, 2000)

I really can't fault this film for anything. I enjoyed every minute of it. Laura Linney and Mark Ruffalo give two great performances, and Matthew Broderick also deserves a lot of credit for his role as the uptight bank manager. This wasn't one of those dramas that feels larger than life. It's believable and natural, and still plenty compelling.

I'll write more about it later but I really liked all of the scenes with Ruffalo and Culkin.

Indeed. Ruffalo was such a kid himself.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #29522 on: April 02, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »
This is England (Shane Meadows, 2006)

I put off watching this one for a long time. I figured it for the type of film that uses excessive violence to get publicity and ends on a sour note so that people take it seriously. I was wrong on both counts. This is England is more concerned with the social dynamic, the little details and the quiet moments than it is with shocking its audience or making political statements.

What a story Shane Meadows tells. I wasn't surprised to learn that he based it on his own experiences. It has that genuine feel to it. And the actors deserve just as much credit as the director. Top to bottom great performances, especially considering the age and limited experience of most of the cast. Stephen Graham was the only familiar face, and as usual he was terrific. Enough so I'll probably find a spot for him on my BotD ballot. If not for this role than for his role as the perpetually angry driving instructor in Happy-Go-Lucky. (Oh, THAT guy!) Nevermind, that's not the same guy at all! I'm just confusing actors.  ::)

There is violence in the movie but not a lot, and by today's standards it's not even that graphic. It's enough to be effective without turning your stomach and making you want to shut off the movie. And for a film about skinheads I was expecting it to be full of nasty, racist characters. But actually most of them were good-hearted and not violent at all... and certainly not racist.

It was a recent Battleship Pretension episode that brought this film to my attention in a big way. One of the hosts (I still haven't learned who's who... I think it was the loud one) had it as his number 1 film of the decade. I wouldn't rank it that high but it's certainly up there amongst the best. I'll have to let it settle a bit to decide just where it goes on my list. For now I highly recommend it and give it a full four stars.

IMDB link
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:32:49 PM by smirnoff »

Zhankfor

• how lynch get pragnent?
« Reply #29523 on: April 02, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
Hot Tub Time Machine

Silly, immature fun. Worth seeing.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #29524 on: April 02, 2010, 03:47:20 PM »
Bananas

My wife had never seen this, and she's starting to give Woody a chance, after really liking Whatever Works, so I was eager to show her some of the sillier stuff.  She had a blast.  I prefer his later stuff, in general, but still really like this.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29525 on: April 02, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »
Stephen Graham was the only familiar face, and as usual he was terrific. Enough so I'll probably find a spot for him on my BotD ballot. If not for this role than for his role as the perpetually angry driving instructor in Happy-Go-Lucky. (Oh, THAT guy!)

Ummm...Eddie Marsan played the driving instructor in Happy Go Lucky.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #29526 on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »
Stephen Graham was the only familiar face, and as usual he was terrific. Enough so I'll probably find a spot for him on my BotD ballot. If not for this role than for his role as the perpetually angry driving instructor in Happy-Go-Lucky. (Oh, THAT guy!)

Ummm...Eddie Marsan played the driving instructor in Happy Go Lucky.

Yes he did, and he was fantastic. I would consider supporting such a nomination as he's easily the best part of that film I think.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29527 on: April 02, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #29528 on: April 02, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »
The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

I'm very satisfied with how this lived up to the hype. There's something about it, tonally, that I just really loved. The cinematography is as beautiful as I was led to believe, and the story takes its time to build into an emotional climax that is very effective. The performances are wonderful all around the board, but Casey Affleck in particular is exceptional. The exploration of the relationship between Jesse James and Robert Ford is really interestingly portrayed, especially in the second half.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. 2007 was an awesome year.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29529 on: April 02, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

I'm very satisfied with how this lived up to the hype. There's something about it, tonally, that I just really loved. The cinematography is as beautiful as I was led to believe, and the story takes its time to build into an emotional climax that is very effective. The performances are wonderful all around the board, but Casey Affleck in particular is exceptional. The exploration of the relationship between Jesse James and Robert Ford is really interestingly portrayed, especially in the second half.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. 2007 was an awesome year.

We just seem to agree on nearly everything.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

love