Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998049 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #29730 on: April 06, 2010, 08:21:23 PM »
Did you know Japan started awarding an Academy Award in Animation in 2007 and that this film won it in 2008, joining praised films like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Ponyo. Yeah, so maybe there is a reason this one isn't as widely discussed.

Tekkon Kinkreet (2007)

I'll tell you one thing, Clovis would not like this movie...it is animated and is from the kids perspective.  :D This is the sort of film that makes you see where he is coming from. The focus here is on two orphans, Black and White, who are living in a sort of slum with crime and strip clubs and such. I'm not sure if the whole world is meant to be surreal or if it is just this neighborhood, but the kids have a few supernatural seeming powers.
[...]
Rating: 2/5

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29731 on: April 06, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »
I know it gives headaches.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29732 on: April 06, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »
Did you know Japan started awarding an Academy Award in Animation in 2007 and that this film won it in 2008, joining praised films like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Ponyo. Yeah, so maybe there is a reason this one isn't as widely discussed.

Tekkon Kinkreet (2007)

I'll tell you one thing, Clovis would not like this movie...it is animated and is from the kids perspective.  :D This is the sort of film that makes you see where he is coming from. The focus here is on two orphans, Black and White, who are living in a sort of slum with crime and strip clubs and such. I'm not sure if the whole world is meant to be surreal or if it is just this neighborhood, but the kids have a few supernatural seeming powers.
[...]

yeah, I wasn't crazy about it either.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29733 on: April 07, 2010, 12:33:44 AM »
Pineapple Express

There are ten minutes at the start and maybe ten minutes in the middle of this that are entertaining; the rest is just kind of tiresome and noisy.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #29734 on: April 07, 2010, 12:34:36 AM »
Pineapple Express

There are ten minutes at the start and maybe ten minutes in the middle of this that are entertaining; the rest is just kind of tiresome and noisy.

Too true

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #29735 on: April 07, 2010, 12:34:50 AM »
Our's is the era of irony. Everything in pop culture is suppose to be slightly tongue-in-cheek. Gray's films are not ironic at all. They are straight ahead sincere stories about peoples lives. In some ways, Gray is the anti-Wes Anderson.

I know "ironic" is the consensus line on Anderson, but I don't see his films that way at all.  Rather, his movies are about profoundly sad people who find themselves unable to express themselves in a serious manner.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #29736 on: April 07, 2010, 12:43:17 AM »

Tekkon Kinkreet (2007)

[...]

yeah, I wasn't crazy about it either.

I enjoyed it, but was shocked at the violence in a City of God way, although why it needed to be so stark is beyond me.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29737 on: April 07, 2010, 01:21:50 AM »
Our's is the era of irony. Everything in pop culture is suppose to be slightly tongue-in-cheek. Gray's films are not ironic at all. They are straight ahead sincere stories about peoples lives. In some ways, Gray is the anti-Wes Anderson.

I know "ironic" is the consensus line on Anderson, but I don't see his films that way at all.  Rather, his movies are about profoundly sad people who find themselves unable to express themselves in a serious manner.

Agreed.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #29738 on: April 07, 2010, 04:10:28 AM »
A Shark's Tale

The worst 'big' (ie dreamworks or pixar)animated film of the last ten years, for me. Very little charm to it, its just noisy and annoying and way way way too up itself with the "clever" pop culture references. Will Smith is massively irritating and the whole thing just seems like a underthought platform to role out a bunch of celebrities, as if that will automatically make a good film. It disnae. Rubbish stuff. Martin Scorsese is the best thing about it, his part is actually alright. or at least his performance is.

Control

Huge clamour in the UK to hail this as some kind of masterpiece on first release which i always thought was a little OTT. It's well made and well performed but really its a fairly nuts and bolts biopic.

24 Hour Party People

One of my favourite films of all time and easily my favourite music film. It's imaginitive, a brilliant script and thoroughly entertaining all the way through without being too reverential about its subjects.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #29739 on: April 07, 2010, 06:32:31 AM »
Hello all. I have the internet for the first time since January 15. I feel compelled to read from page 1708 of this thread til this one. Plus another 50-odd threads of juicy Filmspotting goss. I obviously missed all the Oscars chat and God knows what else which is a terrible shame. I am very happy to be back on board - hopefully I can power through all I've missed within a week. :)
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

love