love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998143 times)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #29770 on: April 07, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »
Uh-oh. Have some fan-boys here, do we?

No not really. It's just that this is normally a very cordial forum and this film is one of the few that caused a long debate. Some people love it and others hate it.

unlike Inglourious Bastards which we all agree su-ux.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29771 on: April 07, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »

No not really. It's just that this is normally a very cordial forum and this film is one of the few that caused a long debate. Some people love it and others hate it.

Did I mention I hate you and everything you stand for?  ;)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29772 on: April 07, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »
I don't remember a lot of TDK hate. I know a lot of people didn't find it to be excellent but I don't remember people coming out and saying it was awful...except FLY.

Hello all. I have the internet for the first time since January 15. I feel compelled to read from page 1708 of this thread til this one. Plus another 50-odd threads of juicy Filmspotting goss. I obviously missed all the Oscars chat and God knows what else which is a terrible shame. I am very happy to be back on board - hopefully I can power through all I've missed within a week. :)
Whatever you do, don't read this. I warned you.  :P

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #29773 on: April 07, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
Our's is the era of irony. Everything in pop culture is suppose to be slightly tongue-in-cheek. Gray's films are not ironic at all. They are straight ahead sincere stories about peoples lives. In some ways, Gray is the anti-Wes Anderson.

I know "ironic" is the consensus line on Anderson, but I don't see his films that way at all.  Rather, his movies are about profoundly sad people who find themselves unable to express themselves in a serious manner.

I agree.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #29774 on: April 07, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »

Did I mention I hate you and everything you stand for?  ;)

;D

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #29775 on: April 07, 2010, 01:16:25 PM »
Our's is the era of irony. Everything in pop culture is suppose to be slightly tongue-in-cheek. Gray's films are not ironic at all. They are straight ahead sincere stories about peoples lives. In some ways, Gray is the anti-Wes Anderson.

I know "ironic" is the consensus line on Anderson, but I don't see his films that way at all.  Rather, his movies are about profoundly sad people who find themselves unable to express themselves in a serious manner.

I agree also. That's so well put, sdedalus. I will resist the urge that rises from within the core of my being to make a joke to offset the extent of your profundity. ...err...

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #29776 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
12:08 East of Bucharest (2006)

This film was a mix of comedy, tragedy, and politics. It follows three men during one day in a small town in Romania - the local news broadcaster is setting up a special programme about the anniversary of the revolution, and he invites the history teacher and another fellow (who used to play the town's Santa) to join him on it. The discussion is over whether or not anyone protested on the day of the revolution prior to Ceausescu resigning (at 12:08 pm). If so, then their small town can legitimately claim that they were "part of the revolution". The entire point of the film is that the revolution didn't really change much in their town. The drunk is still a drunk, the successful accountant is still successful (now as a wealthy farm owner), and so on.

Not everything works in this film, but there are a couple of high points. First, this really captures the feel of a small town. I grew up in one (albeit in Pennsylvania) and many little bits rang true, especially the part about how, no matter what changes in the world outside, small towns follow their own natural laws of change. Second, there was a brilliant bit near the end. During the entire T.V. programme, you're aware that you are watching through the camera in the T.V. studio - it goes in and out of focus, for example. Now, when the show ends, the men get up and leave. We're still stuck watching through that camera as the camera operator goes around and cleans up. He then walks out of the room and flips off the light. There's this amazing feeling of being trapped that occurs at that moment. It's too bad that it isn't used to it's fullest extent here. Feeling trapped is certainly an aspect of living in a small town, but it's never really discussed before or afterwards, so I'm forced to assume that the filmmakers are content to just be playing with our perception of the film. Too bad. It could have been brilliant, and I've filed the concept away for future reference if I ever write a screenplay.

Verdict: Good, not great. More interested in presentation than ideas or emotions. I recommend the film for the humour and truths about life in a small town.

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #29777 on: April 07, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »

Dogville - Close to a masterpiece

Dogville is a movie which is nearly three hours long and for a simple story, that seems too long at first. The first one hour is difficult to walk through and it seems to make very little sense. Perhaps it could have been edited into half an hour but that is the only main fault I find with the film.

The story is about forgiveness, whether you should forgive at all or not. The last 25 minutes of the film deals with these issues and is top drawer in my opinion. I did anticipate the ending and the path the movie was taking but that did not mean I didn't like it. The only inexplicable thing is the children, specifically the infant being dealt with the way the way they were.

The gradual change in attitudes of the people towards the protagonist is very well told and dealt with by an excellent director. I am not a huge fan of Lars von Trier so far even though I have only watched Antichrist and I was not that impressed by it. He definitely has his unique style of telling a story though which I appreciate. I would definitely like to see some more of his films in the future. 7.5/10 for this one.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:55:23 PM by Pratters »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29778 on: April 07, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #29779 on: April 07, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
Kick-Ass (Matthew Vaughn 2010)

Dave (Aaron Johnson) is a Mr Average Geek until after being mugged yet again he wonders why nobody ever tries to be a superhero. His friends point out that it is because they would die in about a day. Still Dave has an itch and it need scratching, well pommelling. Donning a wet suit he goes out to help those who need it and quickly finds himself in large amounts of pain and not long after that in way over his head when he comes to the attention of a local gangster. While this film is quite silly with much of its violence there are moments of much nastier violence, just to remind you that it hurts. Still people do seem to recover remarkably well at times.

Aaron Johnson, as Dave, captures a believable average geek and does a really good job in the film. He sounds a bit like Toby Maquire, which adds to the spiderman feel of this movie, but spiderman is not the only character referenced. Batman and Al Pacino's Scarface are also there. Nicholas Cage plays Big Daddy, the father of Hit Girl and is better than he usually is. Out of his costume he looks like Walter (Bryan Cranston) in Breaking Bad. Chloe Moretz plays Hit Girl in an impressive performance for someone so young, but on checking IMDB noted she has had over 20 roles already.

Kick-Ass is set in a world which is divided in 2, those who do evil and those who stand by and either watch or look away. It is into this world that Kick-Ass is born. It might be classed as a commentary on all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing, but the minimal comments on this and the large amount of silly violence does not make it a good example.

I really enjoyed this film and would definitely recommend it to those who do not mind silly violence or 12 year old girl swearing and killing people (apparently some people object to this).

Why See It? For a somewhat more realistic superhero movie

love