Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3767132 times)

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #29480 on: April 07, 2010, 04:28:01 PM »
Here's the torrent with english subtitles if posting torrents is allowed on this site -

If not, just delete that and any one wanting the link can PM me. :)

mod edit (clovis): I think it's best if we dont post those types of links on the open forum.

Cool. :) (Pratters)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:34:55 PM by Pratters »

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29481 on: April 07, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »
An Education

Still an 'A'.

Grade A
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #29482 on: April 07, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »
Why can't we all live in the same town?

Tell me about it! Most of the bollywood films which come in India are crap and only the high budget English films make it to the theatres here. NO chance of foreign language film. I thought I was very lucky to see Inglourious Basterds (which I didn't like too much - I would give it a 7/10) and District 9 on the big screen last year. The Hurt Locker is releasing next week in the theatres but I am stranded in a small town. Would have loved to see it on the big screen. Watched it when it was released and rued the fact that it was released early so standed virtually no chance for the Oscars. And then it WON!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #29483 on: April 07, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
Road To Sangam - I watched this a few months back and gave it a 10/10. Not even popular in India because of bad marketing, watch this movie if you can. I posted a review of it in FYC 2010 films

According to our rules it also would qualify for best of the decade since imdb lists it as a 2009 film.

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29484 on: April 07, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »

The Princess and the Frog  (Ron Clements & John Musker, 2009)
Fairly disappointing.  I was really with it early on but then it just lost its groove.  It was much more interesting when the protagonist was an African American girl, as hyped, and not a frog.  At its best when it explored the atmosphere of New Orleans.  Pretty weak story, overall.
Grade: C+

Brothers  (Jim Sheridan, 2009)
Watched this on a double bill with The Princess and the Frog; a weird pairing.  Was dreading it, based on the trailer, but it was actually a little better than I expected.  Again, though, the story just wasn't that strong.  Pretty ordinary, and the atmosphere of dread just kind of bugged me.

A Christmas Tale  (Arnaud Desplechin, 2008)
Another disappointment — but only because expectations were so much higher.  I don't remember all my little problems with the film, but two stand out in my mind as being symptomatic of the kinds of issues that keep the film from being great.  First, despite all the intriguing things to focus on in the well drawn world of the film, the film gives an inordinate amount of attention to the feud between the brother and sister — and it's just not that interesting or even all that credible.  It felt written and forced.  Second, there's the scene where the grandmother or great aunt or whoever visits the house, and the whole point of her visit is just to accidentally reveal some secret to the character who happens to be the one person most affected by that secret.  That was silly.  So, yeah, it's not as good a film as Amélie is all I'm saying.
Grade: B

3D isn't there yet, for me, and I doubt it ever will be.  That said, the fall from the ship was great; and the horse running through the woods; and a few other things.  I wasn't super-duper impressed with the world of the film (I feel like maybe filmmakers are just held to a lower standard than, say, graphic novelists), but I was content.  There's enough good spectacle on display to overcome the deficiencies in plot and dialogue and characterization.

Love Happens  (Brandon Camp, 2009)
I watched this on a plane.  That was the right place to watch it.
Grade: C-

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29485 on: April 07, 2010, 06:27:23 PM »
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Rating 4/5

April MDC selection. Some really good stuff marred by Zack Snyder's poor direction and the worst end-credits in history.

A Christmas Tale
So, yeah, it's not as good a film as Amélie is all I'm saying.

What a strange, strange pair of films to compare. What, because they are both French?

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #29486 on: April 07, 2010, 06:27:50 PM »
Brothers  (Jim Sheridan, 2009)

Does C+ mean it's worth watching in your grading system? I am curious about seeing this film.

Grade: C-

:D :D

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29487 on: April 07, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »
A Christmas Tale
So, yeah, it's not as good a film as Amélie is all I'm saying.

What a strange, strange pair of films to compare. What, because they are both French?

Heh, yeah, pretty much.  :)

(Actually, I thought the opening of A Christmas Tale recalled the opening of Amélie, formally speaking.)

Does C+ mean it's worth watching in your grading system? I am curious about seeing this film.

C+, for me, is just short of a recommendation — i.e., the film has its moments, but I didn't quite like it overall.

pixote

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #29488 on: April 07, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »
Are movie selections on planes really this bad?

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29489 on: April 07, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »

Police, Adjective  (Corneliu Porumboiu, 2009)
The surveillance scenes were mostly fantastic — both when the cop was watching the kid and when we were watching the cop (at his various meals, for example).  Some of the latter scenes were held a bit too long, I thought, but I liked the idea all the same.  Where the film faltered, I thought, was in the dialogue-driven passages.  The writing there just wasn't as evocative as the purely visual moments, and I didn't like the shift from such understated storytelling to the opposite.

La Danse: The Paris Opera Ballet  (Frederick Wiseman, 2009)
The best documentary of last year (and again this year, Filmspot-wise) is probably a better celebration of the human body in motion than Riefenstahl's Olympia.  Totally unexpected from Wiseman, too, who I think has more a reputation for a critical eye for a look of wonder.  The long takes are wonderfully immersive, but also very conducive to getting lost in thought about various unspoken and undirected themes.  Standout scenes include one particular rehearsal of a pas de deux and the exqusitely filmed performance of Medea and her children.  Art from art.
Grade: A-

The White Ribbon  (Michael Haneke, 2009)
I don't remember many specific criticisms about this one except that when it was over, I just kind of shrugged.  It's a very nice production, with strong performances and excellent black-and-white cinematography, but thematically it was just kind of meh for me.  Narratively, too, in the latter stages.

Antichrist  (Lars von Trier, 2009)
This film contains some of the best shots of last year (e.g., the walk in front of the mountain), but also some of the worst shots (specifically, the handheld stuff in the apartment early on).  There's a metaphor in that.  And while Gainsborough's performance is pretty good, it's mostly for naught, as this film is just boring.  Too boring for me to care about its themes.  And provoking an audience reaction isn't that hard, ya know?
Grade: C

Fantastic Mr. Fox  (Wes Anderson, 2009)
Delightful from start to finish.  There was one line, maybe two, that felt forced (and way forced, at that), but most everything else was charming and amusing and funny and I already said delightful, right?  And the animation was totally cool and smile-inducing in its own right.  The best ficton film since Children of Men.
Grade: A

pixote
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:35:13 PM by pixote »