Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997225 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #29800 on: April 07, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
A+ is near masterpiece?

It stems from the great film-its I often suffer from. There are levels of A+-ness and I find it hard to grade sometimes, especially new films. I can easily see this one moving squarely into the clear masterpiece category after another couple viewings.

Either way Lynne Ramsay is in the top 5 of best working directors.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #29801 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
I know it sounds a little like I am crying wolf comparing my second film in as many days to Where the Wild Things Are but this film is so close in tone, visuals and theme that Spike Jonze had to have seen it before making his film. My favorite scene in WTWTA seems to be taken right out of Ratcatcher. When Max is sitting at his mothers feet playing with her stockings has to be an homage to the same scene in this film.

Given my love for this film, my indifference towards WTWTA, and their similarities, I think I need to rewatch the latter.
Hmm, they don't seem all that similar to me at all.

Glad you liked Ratcatcher. I re-watched it last summer and loved it as much as I did the first time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:48:04 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #29802 on: April 07, 2010, 07:48:05 PM »
I know it sounds a little like I am crying wolf comparing my second film in as many days to Where the Wild Things Are but this film is so close in tone, visuals and theme that Spike Jonze had to have seen it before making his film. My favorite scene in WTWTA seems to be taken right out of Ratcatcher. When Max is sitting at his mothers feet playing with her stockings has to be an homage to the same scene in this film.

Given my love for this film, my indifference towards WTWTA, and their similarities, I think I need to rewatch the latter.
Hun, they don't seem all that similar to me at all.

Glad you liked Ratcatcher. I re-watched it last summer and loved it as much as I did the first time.

Spike Jonze has said that Ratcatcher was one of the primary influences on WTWTA.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29803 on: April 07, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
I feel like I'm missing something.  Why does the screenshot from La Danse: The Paris Opera Ballet look like it was produced by Eli Roth?

I assume it's from Medea, but is the film that liberal with the red in general?
It's an atypical scene.  There are very few dress performances in the film.  Most of the dance sequences look more like this:

That's part of what makes the Medea sequence so great, too.  The final performance (and the way it's filmed) is still completely transcendent and engrossing, despite the fact that we've spent the previous two hours behind the scenes, studying rehearsals and seeing all the effort that goes into these type of performances.  It's similar to the scene of Jason's audition in Every Little Step in the way that... well, just trust me.

edit: Haha, Clovis' one review immediately earned more responses than my ten.  I'm done here!  :D

pixote
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:52:23 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29804 on: April 07, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
Spike Jonze has said that Ratcatcher was one of the primary influences on WTWTA.
Interesting. In style they don't seem similar to me.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29805 on: April 07, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »

Really? The have the same somber mood, the same escapism through imagination, even the same color pallet and very similar cinematography, not to mention they share that scene with the stockings.

Am I going to have to make a side by side visual comparison?  ;)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29806 on: April 07, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »

HAHA! Really? You are not screwing with me?

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #29807 on: April 07, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »
Ratcatcher (1999, Lynne Ramsay)
Grade: A+
I'm so proud. :)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29808 on: April 07, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »
I guess what I remember most from Wild Things is the loudness and the kineticism. Also, there's a much different kind of intensity in each film. I guess there's overlap in themes but they still seem very different to me. The escapism is completely different in each film too.  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 07:56:54 PM by matt the movie watcher »

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29809 on: April 07, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »
I guess what I remember most from Wild Things is the loudness and the kineticism. Also there's a much different kind of intensity in each film. I guess there's overlap in themes but they still seem very different to me.

I agree but the parts that are directly comparable are those not in the fantasy world, which probably not coincidently were my favorite of WTWTA. The fantasy parts were the kinetic ones.

love