Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996528 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #29810 on: April 07, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »
This film illustrates the point I was trying to make about "kids films". While the main character in this film is a kid this is in no way a kid's film. It has no easy morality or golden rules. It contains only the harsh realities of life. Lynne Ramsay is not one for fairy tales.

So basically it's like all the great films starring kids/for kids that I, and others have been harping on for a long time, complex, just like kids are. Except the fairy tale part, everyone has time for fairy tales, I don't want to know anyone who doesn't.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #29811 on: April 07, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »
I know it sounds a little like I am crying wolf comparing my second film in as many days to Where the Wild Things Are but this film is so close in tone, visuals and theme that Spike Jonze had to have seen it before making his film. My favorite scene in WTWTA seems to be taken right out of Ratcatcher. When Max is sitting at his mothers feet playing with her stockings has to be an homage to the same scene in this film.

Given my love for this film, my indifference towards WTWTA, and their similarities, I think I need to rewatch the latter.
Hun, they don't seem all that similar to me at all.

Glad you liked Ratcatcher. I re-watched it last summer and loved it as much as I did the first time.

Spike Jonze has said that Ratcatcher was one of the primary influences on WTWTA.

HAHA! Really? You are not screwing with me?

http://weloveyouso.com/tag/ratcatcher/

Boom.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29812 on: April 07, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »
I know it sounds a little like I am crying wolf comparing my second film in as many days to Where the Wild Things Are but this film is so close in tone, visuals and theme that Spike Jonze had to have seen it before making his film. My favorite scene in WTWTA seems to be taken right out of Ratcatcher. When Max is sitting at his mothers feet playing with her stockings has to be an homage to the same scene in this film.

Given my love for this film, my indifference towards WTWTA, and their similarities, I think I need to rewatch the latter.
Hun, they don't seem all that similar to me at all.

Glad you liked Ratcatcher. I re-watched it last summer and loved it as much as I did the first time.

Spike Jonze has said that Ratcatcher was one of the primary influences on WTWTA.

HAHA! Really? You are not screwing with me?

http://weloveyouso.com/tag/ratcatcher/

Boom.

That is so awesome. Maybe I am learning something about film afterall! :D

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #29813 on: April 07, 2010, 08:27:30 PM »
La Danse: The Paris Opera Ballet  (Frederick Wiseman, 2009)
The best documentary of last year (and again this year, Filmspot-wise) is probably a better celebration of the human body in motion than Riefenstahl's Olympia.  Totally unexpected from Wiseman, too, who I think has more a reputation for a critical eye for a look of wonder.  The long takes are wonderfully immersive, but also very conducive to getting lost in thought about various unspoken and undirected themes.  Standout scenes include one particular rehearsal of a pas de deux and the exqusitely filmed performance of Medea and her children.  Art from art.
Grade: A-
How does La Danse compare to Ballerina - have you seen the latter? I haven't, but I put it my Netflix queue on someone's recommendation - can't remember who.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29814 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
[puts on "man" hat]

I'll be waiting for the Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman love scenes in Darren Aronofsky's upcoming film to get my ballet fix.  ;)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #29815 on: April 07, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »
I expect Ratcatcher to crack the upcoming edition of the Top 100 which would make me extremely happy.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29816 on: April 07, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I expect Ratcatcher to crack the upcoming edition of the Top 100 which would make me extremely happy.

It will make my top 100

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #29817 on: April 07, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »

It will make my top 100

Mine, too.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #29818 on: April 07, 2010, 09:02:32 PM »
I'll probably kick it out of my top 100.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #29819 on: April 07, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
We're gonna have to choose a Borzage movie to be on the list, ET.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”