love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996208 times)

flieger

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #30370 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:59 AM »
I'm 4/4 of the way through Le Monde Vivant, and it will definitely make my top films of the decade.

Same. woo-hoo!  8)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30371 on: April 21, 2010, 01:24:02 AM »

Real Cool Time (Alain Guiraudie, 2001)

This sounds amazing. Nice review Worm.

Thanks 'Noke :). And hi!

Hi! How are you doing?

I really hate reading yours and flieger's reviews, cause it reminds me of all the great films I am not/cannot watch.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #30372 on: April 21, 2010, 01:40:42 AM »
You feel this way because Anderson doesn't make comedies.

Well, no he does, and he has said that he does, but he doesn't make comedies in the way that most people are accustomed to. He doesn't pander, which makes his films funnier and more emotionally satisfying for me.

His movies are (sometimes) funny, but they aren't comedies.

They don't have gags or jokes in any normal sense of the words.

Doesn't mean they aren't comedies.

I wasn't making a causal argument.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

flieger

« Reply #30373 on: April 21, 2010, 01:55:21 AM »

Le Monde Vivant (Eugene Green, 2003)

We are alone.

It is strange that we can be alone even though we are two.

Grammar makes it so.

Then I must thank grammar, for letting me be alone with you.

Not much I can really say after the awesome triumvirate (triumvirate of awesomeness?) of roujin, duder and worm@work have so thoroughly analysed, lyricised and pictorialised this wonderfully unique film.

The framing of Ozu, yes. The delivery of Bresson, yes. The power of words, yes. The power of words, especially the spoken word, and a wonderfully direct exploration of life, death and love.

There is an absurdist playfulness in its delivery that made me so happy. Here is a film that could come off as mannered, and twee, and precious and all that, but ends up as funny, affecting and resonant. Lines like "That's all maximus cool.", and "That's my lion. Are you afraid of lions?" are given such droll, deadpan simplicity, not only by the actors, but by the pitch-perfect editing of Green, who cuts with a wit and directness I rarely see.

The humour leavens the tragic, but also gives it such resonance, and joyousness. Green's sense of play throughout the film - of letting the child actors smile spontaneously, the Lion Knight's stance, hip cocked slightly to one side, the ogre's roar - all work to give the final scenes a sense of revelation, of discovering anew that which is lost, of being naked, stripped bare. Here is a seriousness that is never dull, a simplicity that is never trite, and sublimity results.

Top 50? Natch!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:59:45 AM by flieger »

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #30374 on: April 21, 2010, 02:13:37 AM »
I'm 4/4 of the way through Le Monde Vivant, and it will definitely make my top films of the decade.

Same. woo-hoo!  8)

w00t :)! This is actually happening!
Awesome writeup, flieger :).

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #30375 on: April 21, 2010, 03:51:46 AM »
35 Shots of Rum

This film made me thirsty...and bored. I still don't quite see the appeal on this forum of all these films wherein nothing happens.

Stuff happened.  You just found them uninteresting.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #30376 on: April 21, 2010, 03:56:18 AM »
The ending. Really interesting. I was so glad the film didn't go for an easy ending, easy in the sense that it would show exactly what happens that night and the next morning. I love that we didn't see that; I love that our last close view of him was so ambiguous -lying in the earth, between dark and light, gazing at the storm. I guess the ending was kind of perfect. We do know what happens to him - that he chose the taste of cherry, so to speak - but we don't see exactly how he got there, from being in the hole to making a film. What do you think of it?

I'm undecided.  LOL.  My question was referring specifically to the film crew.  Sorry, I wasn't clear.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #30377 on: April 21, 2010, 11:51:35 AM »
The ending. Really interesting. I was so glad the film didn't go for an easy ending, easy in the sense that it would show exactly what happens that night and the next morning. I love that we didn't see that; I love that our last close view of him was so ambiguous -lying in the earth, between dark and light, gazing at the storm. I guess the ending was kind of perfect. We do know what happens to him - that he chose the taste of cherry, so to speak - but we don't see exactly how he got there, from being in the hole to making a film. What do you think of it?

I'm undecided.  LOL.  My question was referring specifically to the film crew.  Sorry, I wasn't clear.
Yeah, I was being unnecessarily ambiguous - I knew you meant that part of the ending - I was just including the stuff just prior to that as "the ending"; I think the film crew - it is him making a film, right? - is his choosing "the taste of cherry" over death because he's choosing to film/recreate a moment in his life in which he felt the kind of small but poignant happiness that was akin to the other man's taste of cherry.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #30378 on: April 21, 2010, 12:05:45 PM »
The Changeling

This had been on my radar for a long time.  All my Horror Gurus had praised it.  I'm glad I watched it, its very good.  Its a Horror film in the vein of Don't Look Now and the original The Omen, though not as scary.  This utilizes the Horror genre and its conventions to tell a compelling and well imagined story while giving George C. Scott a very interesting role he makes the most of.  Deserves all the praise it has garnered.

Grade B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #30379 on: April 21, 2010, 12:28:30 PM »
You feel this way because Anderson doesn't make comedies.

Well, no he does, and he has said that he does, but he doesn't make comedies in the way that most people are accustomed to. He doesn't pander, which makes his films funnier and more emotionally satisfying for me.

His movies are (sometimes) funny, but they aren't comedies.

They don't have gags or jokes in any normal sense of the words.

"These are O.R. scrubs"
"Oh, are they?"

love