Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3688963 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #30380 on: April 30, 2010, 12:57:57 AM »
Kick-Ass
Aside from being funny, this is such a legitimately well made film.

My questions remain unanswered...

How is it that Kick-Ass is this huge internet sensation, the biggest thing on youtube, but when he shows up at the drug house Nobody Knows Who He Is? 

Another big internet event is Hit Girl rescuing her father and killing a bunch of bad guys.  She ends the show by walking right up to the camera and shooting the lens point blank.  Yet later that night, when she shows up at the bad guys building, the doorman lets her in because "she's just a little girl."  THAT'S EXACTLY WHO THEY SHOULD BE ON ALERT FOR! 

Finally, does anyone else think the Lumber Store fire was way too big to believe Red Mist and Kick-Ass would even dare to walk inside.  These kind of decisions (amount of fire, flame intensity) are exactly the job of the director, but it's like Vaughn didn't bother to come up with an answer.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #30381 on: April 30, 2010, 01:32:40 AM »

Step Brothers 7/10

Sure it's dumb and crude, but it made me laugh a lot and that's all I really wanted. Mary Steenburgen reminded me a lot of her similar role in Clifford, with Richard Jenkins filling the Charles Grodin role. Adam Scott can play a great douchebag, though it got tiresome fast.  Sometimes I get tired of Ferrell's schtick but it pretty much worked for me here. Reilly was perfect. Also, a Jon Brion score? Awesome.

A handful of favorite lines:
“we go on riverboat gambling trips”
“this is a house of learned doctors”
“the clown has no penis”
“it was my mom’s, I took the shoulderpads out”
“I did start taking baby aspirin to reduce my risk of heart attack”
“stop being a CINECAST!ing dinosaur and get a job”

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #30382 on: April 30, 2010, 01:43:23 AM »
This Is How We Do It
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #30383 on: April 30, 2010, 01:50:44 AM »

Iron Man 2 (Jon Favreau, 2010)

It is 124 minutes long.

Surprisingly, I didn't really feel the length at all until I was in the elevator back home... basically a "damn, it's 1 AM" kind of thing.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #30384 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:22 AM »
Kick-Ass
Aside from being funny, this is such a legitimately well made film.

My questions remain unanswered...

How is it that Kick-Ass is this huge internet sensation, the biggest thing on youtube, but when he shows up at the drug house Nobody Knows Who He Is? 

Another big internet event is Hit Girl rescuing her father and killing a bunch of bad guys.  She ends the show by walking right up to the camera and shooting the lens point blank.  Yet later that night, when she shows up at the bad guys building, the doorman lets her in because "she's just a little girl."  THAT'S EXACTLY WHO THEY SHOULD BE ON ALERT FOR! 

Finally, does anyone else think the Lumber Store fire was way too big to believe Red Mist and Kick-Ass would even dare to walk inside.  These kind of decisions (amount of fire, flame intensity) are exactly the job of the director, but it's like Vaughn didn't bother to come up with an answer.

I think the answer to your first questions is: not everyone is into the web as we are. I did not see any computer in the drug den, nor anyone on a smart phone. They were more interested in their business and product.

The second is they goofed, they had not been briefed to be on the look out for hit girl. It was a little stretch, but very forgiveable.

Finally the amount of fire did not cross my mind at the time, and Red Mist's friends were supposed to be in the building, so due to my own thoughtlessness I would have to give him a pass.

Yes there are faults with the film, it is no masterpiece, but I found it a very good film and very enjoyable to watch. So it may have a little guilty pleasure aspect to it, but even Fight Club has that.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #30385 on: April 30, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
I've read your gripes about the fire before, 1SO, but it was in the comic book and I bought it, so it never bothered me on the screen.  I don't think Vaughn was over the top, I think it fits the type of film he's made.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #30386 on: April 30, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
Yojimbo (1961)

We start off with a shot following behind a man, a little below eye level. What a great introduction! Who is he? The credits run, and he continues to walk, never showing his face:

And even after we see his face, this man remains a mystery throughout the film. The only name we get is one that he clearly made up ("Call me Sanjuro. It will do.") and his history is never explained. His motives are clear enough: this small town he stumbles on has a lot of bad men with too much money for their own good. "Sanjuro" plans to kill them and take their money - not by brute force, but by craft and wit. And it's working at first:

Unfortunately, nothing ever goes that smoothly. A government inspector arrives in town, and everyone stops fighting to play nice. Once the inspector leaves, "Sanjuro" redoubles his efforts to play each side against the other and get them fighting again. It gets messy very quickly, and "Sanjuro" ends up very much involved by the end, no longer able to remain in the belltower, literally or figuratively.

As with other Kurosawa scripts, by now, we've seen this story and its various elements many times over. What makes me love Kurosawa's movies so much is the execution. Everything fits together into a perfect adventure story, with suspense, surprising plot twists, action, and character melding together. Nothing ever feels compromised to my mind. My only criticism of the movie is the music is overly and abruptly melodramatic. Rating: On the Kurosawa list, only below The Seven Samurai and Ran. Overall #32, between La Dolce Vita and City of God, at least for now. I loved this movie!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #30387 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »
Didn't love it nearly as much as you, but it is a fantastic film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #30388 on: April 30, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »
I've read your gripes about the fire before, 1SO, but it was in the comic book and I bought it, so it never bothered me on the screen.  I don't think Vaughn was over the top, I think it fits the type of film he's made.
I just want to agree that this is a gripe.  A minor point, and not why the movie doesn't work for me.  But it was a good example of the kind of decisions that make for the film's inconsistent tone.  Vaughn is very talented, and there are great scenes and moments but not a complete vision for the entire picture.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #30389 on: April 30, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »
Yojimbo (1961)

We start off with a shot following behind a man, a little below eye level. What a great introduction! Who is he? The credits run, and he continues to walk, never showing his face:

And even after we see his face, this man remains a mystery throughout the film. The only name we get is one that he clearly made up ("Call me Sanjuro. It will do.") and his history is never explained. His motives are clear enough: this small town he stumbles on has a lot of bad men with too much money for their own good. "Sanjuro" plans to kill them and take their money - not by brute force, but by craft and wit. And it's working at first:

Unfortunately, nothing ever goes that smoothly. A government inspector arrives in town, and everyone stops fighting to play nice. Once the inspector leaves, "Sanjuro" redoubles his efforts to play each side against the other and get them fighting again. It gets messy very quickly, and "Sanjuro" ends up very much involved by the end, no longer able to remain in the belltower, literally or figuratively.

As with other Kurosawa scripts, by now, we've seen this story and its various elements many times over. What makes me love Kurosawa's movies so much is the execution. Everything fits together into a perfect adventure story, with suspense, surprising plot twists, action, and character melding together. Nothing ever feels compromised to my mind. My only criticism of the movie is the music is overly and abruptly melodramatic. Rating: On the Kurosawa list, only below The Seven Samurai and Ran. Overall #32, between La Dolce Vita and City of God, at least for now. I loved this movie!

Represent.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/