love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996979 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #30740 on: April 30, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
I've read your gripes about the fire before, 1SO, but it was in the comic book and I bought it, so it never bothered me on the screen.  I don't think Vaughn was over the top, I think it fits the type of film he's made.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #30741 on: April 30, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
Yojimbo (1961)

We start off with a shot following behind a man, a little below eye level. What a great introduction! Who is he? The credits run, and he continues to walk, never showing his face:

And even after we see his face, this man remains a mystery throughout the film. The only name we get is one that he clearly made up ("Call me Sanjuro. It will do.") and his history is never explained. His motives are clear enough: this small town he stumbles on has a lot of bad men with too much money for their own good. "Sanjuro" plans to kill them and take their money - not by brute force, but by craft and wit. And it's working at first:

Unfortunately, nothing ever goes that smoothly. A government inspector arrives in town, and everyone stops fighting to play nice. Once the inspector leaves, "Sanjuro" redoubles his efforts to play each side against the other and get them fighting again. It gets messy very quickly, and "Sanjuro" ends up very much involved by the end, no longer able to remain in the belltower, literally or figuratively.

As with other Kurosawa scripts, by now, we've seen this story and its various elements many times over. What makes me love Kurosawa's movies so much is the execution. Everything fits together into a perfect adventure story, with suspense, surprising plot twists, action, and character melding together. Nothing ever feels compromised to my mind. My only criticism of the movie is the music is overly and abruptly melodramatic. Rating: On the Kurosawa list, only below The Seven Samurai and Ran. Overall #32, between La Dolce Vita and City of God, at least for now. I loved this movie!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #30742 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »
Didn't love it nearly as much as you, but it is a fantastic film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #30743 on: April 30, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »
I've read your gripes about the fire before, 1SO, but it was in the comic book and I bought it, so it never bothered me on the screen.  I don't think Vaughn was over the top, I think it fits the type of film he's made.
I just want to agree that this is a gripe.  A minor point, and not why the movie doesn't work for me.  But it was a good example of the kind of decisions that make for the film's inconsistent tone.  Vaughn is very talented, and there are great scenes and moments but not a complete vision for the entire picture.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #30744 on: April 30, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »
Yojimbo (1961)

We start off with a shot following behind a man, a little below eye level. What a great introduction! Who is he? The credits run, and he continues to walk, never showing his face:

And even after we see his face, this man remains a mystery throughout the film. The only name we get is one that he clearly made up ("Call me Sanjuro. It will do.") and his history is never explained. His motives are clear enough: this small town he stumbles on has a lot of bad men with too much money for their own good. "Sanjuro" plans to kill them and take their money - not by brute force, but by craft and wit. And it's working at first:

Unfortunately, nothing ever goes that smoothly. A government inspector arrives in town, and everyone stops fighting to play nice. Once the inspector leaves, "Sanjuro" redoubles his efforts to play each side against the other and get them fighting again. It gets messy very quickly, and "Sanjuro" ends up very much involved by the end, no longer able to remain in the belltower, literally or figuratively.

As with other Kurosawa scripts, by now, we've seen this story and its various elements many times over. What makes me love Kurosawa's movies so much is the execution. Everything fits together into a perfect adventure story, with suspense, surprising plot twists, action, and character melding together. Nothing ever feels compromised to my mind. My only criticism of the movie is the music is overly and abruptly melodramatic. Rating: On the Kurosawa list, only below The Seven Samurai and Ran. Overall #32, between La Dolce Vita and City of God, at least for now. I loved this movie!

Represent.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30745 on: April 30, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »
Yep, Yojimbo is legit.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #30746 on: April 30, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »
The Fall - Adorable little girl, amazing opening and ending sequences, and visual sexy time for my eyes. Must... buy... Blu Ray

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #30747 on: April 30, 2010, 01:14:18 PM »
Spaceballs: The Movie (1987, Mel Brooks) Grade: D+

The release of 1980's Airplane! turned the concept of the parody movies from niche to mainstream.  For the next 8 years we were given a steady diet of them: great ones like The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad and pretty bad ones, like Saturday the 14th (in the theater, opening day thank you very much) .  The one parody that was sitting out there ripe for the plucking was the Star Wars trillogy.  It was strange that no one had taken it on yet.  So when "Spaceballs" hit the theaters audiences were eager to like it, and came out mostly disapppointed - myself included.  Way too many missed opportunities, often chosing toilet and slapstick humor over genuine smart satire.  And that was that.  The Star Wars parody was made and remains to this day the only real attempt at it.  

Watching it again this week, it's got some pretty clever bits, like the winnebego, and when the light sabres get tangled.  And Rick Moranis is really pretty great.  But by-in-large my feelings are the same - big time missed opportunity.

I tend to think of Mel Brooks as this great comic mastermind, but looking back at his directing credits this morning, there is only Blazing Saddles, Silent Movie and Young Frankenstein that I think would really hold up as relevant anymore.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:31:49 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #30748 on: April 30, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
Spaceballs: The Movie (1987, Mel Brooks)
Watching it again this week, it's got some pretty clever bits, like the winnebego, and when the light sabres get tangled.  And Rick Moranis is really pretty great.  But by-in-large my feelings are the same - big time missed opportunity.

I tend to think of Mel Brooks as this great comic mastermind, but looking back at his directing credits this morning, there is only Blazing Saddles, Silent Movie and Young Frankenstein that I think would really hold up as relevant anymore.

I like Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and The Producers, but Mel Brooks has to be one of the most overrated comedy dudes ever. I was 18ish when I first saw Spaceballs and thought it was pretty terrible (except for Moranis), I probably would've enjoyed it more when I was 12.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #30749 on: April 30, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
I first saw Spaceballs in the theater and loved it (I was 5), but it hasn't aged super well. It has a handful of good gags and Moranis going for it, but that's about it. But, I like it more than a lot of his other films.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love