Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996654 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #30960 on: May 07, 2010, 05:57:01 AM »
Thanks roujin for personally recommending this movie to me. I never would've seen it otherwise.

I don't remember recommending this to you, but the recommendation makes sense!

The biggest reason why I liked the film was because I had really grown to like the actors in the movie. I had seen them all in a bunch of other Sammo films, and the thought of them doing this really bad ass war movie made me laugh. And then it turns out that they did make a totally bad ass action movie.

You didn't find that one fan dude at the end awesome?

Yeah, he was lots of fun. I recognized him from Jackie & Sammo's Dragons Forever. From what I recall he basically played the same character, but instead of a fan he had a pipe. Good times.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #30961 on: May 07, 2010, 10:57:54 AM »

The Adventures of Robin Hood Michael Curtiz + William Keighley, 1938

There were many hearty laughs throughout as Errol Flynn dashed around arrowing random dudes, getting out of tight situations, macking on the ladies, all for Richard the Lionheart. Flynn is really charming. I don't know how much I would like him in a role that isn't full of dastardly heroics, but he's awesome here. I love how everyone on his side is always laughing and having a good time, while the side with Claude Rains (LOOOOOOOOOOL) is all blerghy blergh blergh. Anyway, the thought of Eugene Pallette being a great swordsman will give me humor ammunition for many lonely nights.

Nana Jean Renoir, 1926

This movie was more or less single-handedly ruined by the lead actress, Catherine Hessling. She's all exaggerated silent movie acting, verging on mugging, and it hurts just to look at her. Anyway, I got other problems with the film, most of them having to do with how it works as an adaptation. You'd think a 140-minute film would get a bunch of stuff from the book, but, no, there's like a million things missing. Some characters get combined, others dropped. I expected all of that, really, but it still peeved. The film also makes some annoying changes to the character's basic natures, but there are a few moments when the film manages to get things right (like when Nana makes Count Muffat act like a dog - high society completely corrupted by sex!), but it mostly is annoying and overlong and a complete disappointment.

Jab We Met Imtiaz Ali, 2007

Shahid Kapoor plays some random rich guy who feels terrible about his life. His company isn't doing great, his girlfriend has just married some other guy, life is tough. He wanders around town like a bum and randomly gets on a train. There he meets Kareena Kapoor (Bebo), a constant chattermouth who won't stop bothering the nearly suicidal Kapoor. Through some crazy, crazy twists, they both end up off the train. Things will happen from here. The plot is nonsense, but that's okay. Why? Well, if you have to ask, I'll tell you. Shahid Kapoor and Bebo have incredible chemistry and they both frequently elevate the material. And the songs are actually pretty great in this one (minus the last one, which pretty much does away with the reality of the situation to stage a music video at some nondescript club-like location. But, yeah, cliches abound, but the actors and their charm make it much more entertaining than it has any right to be.

Coeur Fidele Jean Epstein, 1923

I'm all wrote out, but this was amazing (in its emotions, montage, etc, etc, GREAT).

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #30962 on: May 07, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
Jab We Met Imtiaz Ali, 2007

Shahid Kapoor plays some random rich guy who feels terrible about his life. His company isn't doing great, his girlfriend has just married some other guy, life is tough. He wanders around town like a bum and randomly gets on a train. There he meets Kareena Kapoor (Bebo), a constant chattermouth who won't stop bothering the nearly suicidal Kapoor. Through some crazy, crazy twists, they both end up off the train. Things will happen from here. The plot is nonsense, but that's okay. Why? Well, if you have to ask, I'll tell you. Shahid Kapoor and Bebo have incredible chemistry and they both frequently elevate the material. And the songs are actually pretty great in this one (minus the last one, which pretty much does away with the reality of the situation to stage a music video at some nondescript club-like location. But, yeah, cliches abound, but the actors and their charm make it much more entertaining than it has any right to be.

Yeah, the story is totally pedestrian but the songs and the cast make it fun for me :). It was easily my favorite Bollywood soundtrack from that year.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30963 on: May 07, 2010, 11:21:03 AM »
Why? Well, if you have to ask, I'll tell you.

but I didn't ask.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #30964 on: May 07, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
I also watched:

Dil Chahta Hai Farhan Akhtar, 2001

Three hours of Aamir Khan mugging, Saif Ali Khan being a charisma-free zone, and shiny, happy people. There were two things I really, really liked in this movie. The first was all the stuff between Sid and Tara. That seemed like something complicated and knotty that couldn't be resolved in a conventional way, but then it was anyway. It almost seemed like something human under all the artifice (and I dig artifice, but not this sleek, let's go first class to Australia nonsense, you know?). The second thing I really liked was the number where they go to the movies. This is pretty much the only time I liked Saif Ali Khan, since he got to act all goofy. He's on a date with this girl he likes and soon they both find themselves inside the movie, singing and dancing, I guess making fun of BOLLYWOOD! cliches, it's great. Aside from that, this was often a slog, and I had no patience for Aamir Khan's whole "watch me as I learn to love" bullcrap. That dude really bugs me for some reason.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #30965 on: May 07, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Why? Well, if you have to ask, I'll tell you.

but I didn't ask.

It's ok, I did. And clearly everyone writes these reviews for my enjoyment.  :)
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30966 on: May 07, 2010, 11:33:46 AM »
Because, seriously, roujin is always too short.

The Adventures of Robin Hood

How good can a film about men frolicking in the woods in tights be?

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30967 on: May 07, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »
Iron Man II

It's fun enough and the CGI is amazing. Downey is a great actor and Scarlett Johanson is the female Keanu Reeves (although her battle scene is pretty awesome).  

Overall, it's a good but instantly forgettable summer film.

Grade: B-

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #30968 on: May 07, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Tagline: He's a bad lieutenant and he calls New Orleans home.

I think I need to break out a new rating system where I rate something on a scale of one to five iPhones where five means I used my iPhone a lot and one meaning I used it very little. A high rating on this scale is bad news because it means the movie was not interesting. Bad Lieutenant would score at least a four iPhone rating. I checked my blogs, played some solitaire and read a couple e-mails before ultimately shutting the film off with an hour left.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #30969 on: May 07, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »
It's such an awesome movie though.