Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997986 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31400 on: May 18, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »

The Unbelievable Truth* Hal Hartley, 1989

Somehow, I just knew Hartley would hold up. Robert Burke shows up his old town fresh out of prison, clad in black, refusing drink, being mistaken for a priest. Adrienne Shelley is a local high school girl who believes that the world will soon be destroyed by atomic bombs (history will cease to exist). She breaks up with her boyfriend who has just bought a suit and never listens to her. Basically, characters try and try and try to negotiate the world that is ruled by deals, negotiations, understandings - money; they go into these arrangements to try and survive, to try and make sense of it all, but then reject them to truly embrace life/love/ROUJIN. And it does all this while being funny and awesome and all post-modern sentimental (the best!). I also totally saw the comparisons that Hartley gets to Godard this time - in the framing and in certain devices that he uses (like near the ending when Shelley walks around reading this book, while some douche talks about being leveraged; or in the way that characters always seem to be having conversations with themselves, never with each other). So, CINECAST! yes.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #31401 on: May 18, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
Ajami (2009, Copti and Shani)
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31402 on: May 19, 2010, 12:55:06 AM »
Porco Rosso (Hayao Miyazaki, 1992)

[...]This narrative confusion combined with rather unenthralling action sequences ultimately leaves me unsatisfied.

Rating: 2/5

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #31403 on: May 19, 2010, 01:27:22 AM »
Punch Drunk Love (2002 Paul Thomas Anderson)

Chaotic, good, but not top 20 (or even 50) for the decade. Sandler's performance was good. Had a very indie aesthetic.

Why See It? For Sandler's performance and the chaos

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31404 on: May 19, 2010, 03:38:49 AM »
Coffy (1973, Jack Hill)

Course, man.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #31405 on: May 19, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »
Ordet - Perfect

Ordet is a movie about faith. It really questions the faith we have to the extremest measures possible. Men and women of various levels of faith are shown for instance there is the man and wife, the man being a non believer while the wife is a believer 100%. Then there is the father who hopes he has faith but doesn't know because he is again, tested extremely because of his mentally ill son.

The movie seemed ok for the better half but I wasn't getting the concept of faith totally which Dreyer was trying to put across. Some where around the mid point of the movie, I would have thought I would give this movie a rating of around 5. It slowly shifted to 8 as the movie treaded along. Fifteen minutes after I had watched the movie, I finally got the concept exactly as the director was trying to put across and the movie seemed perfect to me.

It is a great piece of art. I don't think it is possible to depict the concept of faith any better than this movie has done and thus I give it a rating of 10/10. This movie is timeless.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #31406 on: May 19, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
Ordet - Perfect

Going to the top of my queue.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Pratters

• My Blog
« Reply #31407 on: May 19, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
I watched the Royal Tenembaums about 6 months ago and didn't like it. And today I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox and although it is funny in places, I just don't see Wes Anderson as a very smart director. He tries to play the smart card but I have not been impressed by the two movies I have watched of his.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31408 on: May 19, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »
Ordet - Perfect
Going to the top of my queue.
Glad to hear it.

Ordet - Perfect

It is a great piece of art. I don't think it is possible to depict the concept of faith any better than this movie has done and thus I give it a rating of 10/10.
Funny you should said that because it's the #1 film on the Arts and Faith top 100.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:20:41 PM by lotr-sam0711 »

Pratters

• My Blog
« Reply #31409 on: May 19, 2010, 06:31:28 PM »
I have watched about 7-9 of the 100 films and except 1, I liked all quite a lot. Seems like a very good list. I possess a fait few movies from that list which I will try and put higher up in my queue. Syndromes and a Century is in my 150 To watch film list as well, so it will be the film I'll watch next.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:37:58 PM by Pratters »