Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 4038575 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31420 on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »
Robin Hood (Ridley Scott, 2010)

Oh, I get it, the Magna Carta. 6-15-1215!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #31421 on: May 19, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »
Latest film in my 90's marathon: Before Sunrise

Verdict: Sunset was better.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31422 on: May 19, 2010, 11:45:48 PM »
A Bittersweet Life (2005)

A Bittersweet Life says to the Vengeance trilogy "Why so serious?"

[...]

Rating: 3/5

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #31423 on: May 20, 2010, 04:28:31 AM »
Ordet - Perfect
Going to the top of my queue.
Glad to hear it.

Ordet - Perfect

It is a great piece of art. I don't think it is possible to depict the concept of faith any better than this movie has done and thus I give it a rating of 10/10.
Funny you should said that because it's the #1 film on the Arts and Faith top 100.

I have Ordet at my library and I always almost get it but never actually pick it up off teh shelf. How is the faith component put across? Is it similar, less/more serious than say Bergman? Is it heavy-handed or ethereal or is it ridiculed like in Carrie?
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #31424 on: May 20, 2010, 04:44:12 AM »
It is not a very heavy movie. It is put across pretty seriously but it is very interesting how it unfolds because there is always a plot to stand by.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31425 on: May 20, 2010, 02:23:58 PM »
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (Curtis Hanson, 1992)

Is there any genre that's more poorly defined than the thriller? One look at IMDB's top 50 thrillers list proves my point. Monster films claim to be thrillers, action films claim to be thrillers, horror films claim to be thrillers, prison movies claim to be thrillers... A CLOCKWORK ORANGE claims to be a thriller! It's stupid. Not one of them qualifies for the genre in my opinion. If you want to watch one of the all-time great TRUE thrillers, then watch The Hand That Rocks The Cradle. What makes it a thriller is that it's none of those other things.

I've seen it at least half a dozen times, but not for many years. I sat down with it last night and man, what a blast I had. I was sitting there saying "oh, you sneaky bitch!" to nobody in partuclar during nearly every scene (I was by myself ;)). Watching this film is like reading great airport fiction. It's not rocket science, but it totally sucks you in.  

I give a lot of credit to director Curtis Hanson who seems to have knack creating good thrillers. This film kicked off an unbelievable hot streak for him, starting with The River Wild (another GREAT true thriller), L.A. Confidential, Wonder Boys, and 8 Mile. That's a damn good run for a guy you don't hear much about (and I only discovered it while writing up this review).

Credit to the cast as well, starting with one of my favourites, Ernie Hudson. Sure he plays the quintessential mentally handicapped gentle giant, and sure it's just a cheap trick by the writter to gain our sympathy, but damnit that's what these kind of movies are all about. So f*** it. When it's time for tears, Big Ern delivers. Rebecca De Mornay is outstanding as the psychopath. And man, she does some truly evil shit. You'll just hate hate hate her by the end of the film, Which makes that punch in the face that sends her flying accross the dining room table, and the 3 story fall onto the picket fence, oh so satisfying. Julianne Moore is also in this and delivers an enjoyable supporting performance. Annabella Sciorra & Matt McCoy also get the job done (though Matt's performance is more funny than it is good).

This film is a real gem. If it's been a while, and you need an excuse to eat popcorn, watch this!!!

IMDB link
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:25:53 PM by smirnoff »

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #31426 on: May 20, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »
The River Wild (another GREAT true thriller)

I always thought that, but nobody ever agrees with me.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31427 on: May 20, 2010, 02:29:27 PM »

*mad high fives*

I mean c'mon! You got Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, David Strathairn, John C Reilly... it's an amazing cluster of talant. And what an adventure!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #31428 on: May 20, 2010, 02:36:08 PM »
I remember enjoying Hand That Rocks and River Wild back whenever they first came out. Good to know they're still fun. :)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #31429 on: May 20, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »

*mad high fives*

I mean c'mon! You got Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, David Strathairn, John C Reilly... it's an amazing cluster of talant. And what an adventure!

Add another high five to the mix, I enjoyed The River Wild a bunch when I watched it.  :)

love