love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997470 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31440 on: May 20, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
I watched Blade Runner last night. What an amazing movie. Makes me wonder why Sci-Fi movies aren't dark and moody anymore. Everything we see these days has to have bright flashing lights. Despite being so dark, the lighting in Blade Runner is incredible and the thing still looks amazing after almost 30 years. Also WTF at Edward James Olmos being in this. Why can't Ridley Scott go back to these kind moody 70's sci-fi flicks, Alien and Blade Runner are his two best movies.

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31441 on: May 20, 2010, 09:48:02 PM »
Yeah, watching OLD Ridley Scott makes me wonder what the hell happened TO Ridley Scott. Curious, which version of Blade Runner did you watch?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31442 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
Yeah, watching OLD Ridley Scott makes me wonder what the hell happened TO Ridley Scott.

He just kept getting better and better.  :)

dedpool1979

• Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31443 on: May 20, 2010, 10:28:37 PM »
Yeah, watching OLD Ridley Scott makes me wonder what the hell happened TO Ridley Scott.

Where do you buy your drugs? And can you send me some? Kidding. I dunno, I think he's been really hit and miss the last decade or so.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #31444 on: May 20, 2010, 10:28:55 PM »
Doubt (John Patrick Shanley, 2008)

Amazing performances, terrific writing. A powerful combination. My expectations for the story were somewhat offbase, and I was surprised that the profundity of the themes are given a relatively subtle treatment, relative to the grandiose theatrics of the characters. And honestly it's probably a lot more interesting that way, so good on it.

Now I get to read joem's review! See you next week. ;)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31445 on: May 20, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »

Where do you buy your drugs? And can you send me some? Kidding. I dunno, I think he's been really hit and miss the last decade or so.

For me the fact I have only seen two Pre-00s movies of his and didn't like Blade Runner kind of biases things.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #31446 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »

20 Essential Vitamins and minerals: Film #5

The Bicycle Thief (1948, Vittorio De Sica)

I like thinking about the meetings at a movie studio board room where they pour over screenplays.  Imagine the meeting to decide whether or not greenlight Cast Away "hmm...man makes friend with a volleyball".  The idea sounds so preposterous that you almost have to see it just to see if they could pull it off!  So here we have this premise - man loses bike, man looks for bike.  Is it enough to keep my interest?.... (cont...)

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31447 on: May 20, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
20 Essential Vitamins and minerals: Film #6

Chinatown (1974, Roman Polanski)

Watching Nickelson in this role was like watching home movies of your parents as kids - it almost doesn't matter what is going on on screen, you're just completely intrigued by how they acted in their younger days.... (cont...)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31448 on: May 20, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
Doubt (John Patrick Shanley, 2008)

Amazing performances, terrific writing. A powerful combination. My expectations for the story were somewhat offbase, and I was surprised that the profundity of the themes are given a relatively subtle treatment, relative to the grandiose theatrics of the characters. And honestly it's probably a lot more interesting that way, so good on it.

Agree completely.

Now I get to read joem's review! See you next week. ;)

I started back in January. I'm almost half-way through. 
(jk - it's great! :) )

(switchboard)

dedpool1979

• Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31449 on: May 20, 2010, 10:37:09 PM »

For me the fact I have only seen two Pre-00s movies of his and didn't like Blade Runner kind of biases things.

I suppose it would