Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998570 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31490 on: May 21, 2010, 09:22:44 PM »
The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)

The muddled notions of time travel ensure an analytic like myself will never enjoy the film, but the lack of compelling characters and conflicts are more serious failings.

I snuck into this one and am glad I didn't have to pay for it afterward.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #31491 on: May 21, 2010, 10:47:07 PM »
The Woodsman (2004, Nicole Kassell)

Pretty intense stuff. It's a very quiet, contemplative movie with moments of brilliance. The whole cast gives some of the best performances I've seen them in, including Michael Shannon, Mos Def, Kevin Bacon, and Kyra Sedgwick.

Grade: B+
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31492 on: May 21, 2010, 10:50:47 PM »
Michael Shannon? I gotta see this.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #31493 on: May 21, 2010, 10:51:20 PM »
Michael Shannon? I gotta see this.

My thoughts exactly
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #31494 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
I grinned when I saw him in the credits. He is so great.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31495 on: May 21, 2010, 11:26:11 PM »
The Woodsman (2004, Nicole Kassell)

Pretty intense stuff. It's a very quiet, contemplative movie with moments of brilliance. The whole cast gives some of the best performances I've seen them in, including Michael Shannon, Mos Def, Kevin Bacon, and Kyra Sedgwick.

Grade: B+

Yay! I think this is the third review of the film in this thread so I do hope we can get some momentum going. I just think it is so good with such a strong cast giving strong performance.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #31496 on: May 21, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »

Real Life Albert Brooks, 1979

Albert Brooks plays Albert Brooks, a comedian slash entertainer slash filmmaker who plans to film a normal everyday family for one entire year. He gets help from some big behavioral science dudes to treat the whole like an experiment. So, the entire film is about the efforts to capture "reality," whatever that is. The wife soon takes a liking to Brooks who, for the sake of making the film entertaining, continuously meddles with the family (even going so far as to move across the street). It's pretty fun stuff. Brooks is pretty much a giant douchebag most of the time, self-centered in all the greatest ways. The ending and the turns that Brooks' character takes is gleefully deranged.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 03:56:22 PM by roujin »

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #31497 on: May 21, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »
Four Lions

Brilliant. In particular, a brilliant script. Riz Ahmed gives a great performance as Omar, the central, most fully realised character, with the rest of the characters really serving purpose as comic foil to bounce jokes off - there's the dense one, the naive one, the angry one - along with other periphery characters which exist to contrast with the fanatics, but there is an emotional weight to the relationships, particularly between Omar and his wife and son, and Omar his friend in fanaticism Waj. These relationships give the film its emotional depth. You genuinely sympathise with the protaganists even knowing what they are planning.

One or two of comic skits dont quite work, but im nitpicking. This is a quality comedy film, something that has been in short supply over the last few years IMO.

F*ck mini Babybell!

Good to hear. Really looking forward to this.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31498 on: May 22, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988)

Released the same year as Grave of the Fireflies, I think this film would work as a double feature.[...]

Rating: 4/5

Nathan Adams

• Temple of Reviews
« Reply #31499 on: May 22, 2010, 03:38:36 AM »
Letters to Juliet (2010) ***/*****

Letters to Juliet is a film that wears its intentions on its sleeve.  The opening credits are set on top of a montage of famous images of people kissing; there is little attempt at masking that this is anything other than the dreaded chick flick.  Despite this, it seemed like there could have been room for the film to impress a larger audience than just girls looking to cry into their popcorn.  It was set amongst the beautiful backdrop of Italy, it had a hyped performance by a veteran actress in Vanessa Redgrave, it had indie film darling Gael Garcia Bernal, and it was hitched to the rising star power of Mamma Mia’s principle actress Amanda Seyfried.  Odds are that there had to be something in there to impress, right?  Well, turns out not really, but I can’t say that Letters to Juliet is a totally unpleasant experience...

Full review at: Temple of Reviews