Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996174 times)

gerryburns

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31520 on: May 22, 2010, 11:19:38 PM »

I haven't been to the movies for a few weeks; there's nothing I want to see, and I just can't bring myself to see IronMan 2, despite how much I like Robert Downey.

But I did discover a really terrific movie on dvd--North Face--based on a true story of two rock climbers who attempted to summit the north face of the Eiger.  The climbing scenes were thrilling, so tense that I had to drink a glass of wine to calm down.  I kept scrutinizing the lead actor who played one of the climbers and finally realized he had played the sin eater in The Order (with Heath Ledger), a movie usually panned but one I enjoy a lot for some reason.
Power to the people!

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #31521 on: May 23, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »

I haven't been to the movies for a few weeks; there's nothing I want to see, and I just can't bring myself to see IronMan 2, despite how much I like Robert Downey.

But I did discover a really terrific movie on dvd--North Face--based on a true story of two rock climbers who attempted to summit the north face of the Eiger.  The climbing scenes were thrilling, so tense that I had to drink a glass of wine to calm down.  I kept scrutinizing the lead actor who played one of the climbers and finally realized he had played the sin eater in The Order (with Heath Ledger), a movie usually panned but one I enjoy a lot for some reason.

I saw North Face a few months back at the Music Box in Chicago.  I agree there were some great climbing sequences.  I wish there was more climbing and less love story, but I would still recommend the film.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31522 on: May 23, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »
Once

Screw most everything else that's come out this decade (Most, NOT all).  This is where its at.  Every time I watch it I love it more and more.

Grade A
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

flieger

« Reply #31523 on: May 23, 2010, 12:41:45 AM »

Whip It (Drew Barrymore, 2009)

I guess Barrymore knows something about the other side of the tracks, having gone off the rails during her crazy youth, but going past the grunginess, alter-egos and the alterno-marginalia aspect of these women and the roller-derby environs I get the feeling that class, isolation, small town blues and that sort of stuff is not so much of a concern. This was a bit of a mess. Casting was great, and the performances were good too. It wanders, though, with bland staging and dull action. Criminally, the characters are barely addressed, coming off as ciphers for each dramatic arc and nothing more. They had so much to give, so much, and they get nothing from Drew. The camera just wanders blithely along, noticing stuff, but never really interrogating. Another one of these insider directors, palling around among the cast, when there's a bloody movie to be made. Hurt them, Drew, really hurt them, and you'll get gold. Or, go and watch Breaking Away instead.

flieger

« Reply #31524 on: May 23, 2010, 07:42:08 AM »

Linda Linda Linda (Nobuhiro Yamashita, 2005)

Fantastic, laid-back, lyrical exploration of high school days and teenage experience. This is ostensibly a film about music - music is always at the forefront of the drama - but it's just as much about sitting back and watching the relational dynamics between the girls, between them and others, and exploring a small slice of high school experience through the dramatic arc of preparing for a gig for a high school festival. I loved how it evoked a specific time and place, and how the characters seem to exist organically in a universe beyond the story. It makes you yearn and laugh and remember things past and times lost. Ever diminishing memories of youth spring anew in flieger's mind, only for him to realise that existence itself is an illusion. Is this wind the same as the one blowing the day after tomorrow? Do you know where my right hand is?

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #31525 on: May 23, 2010, 08:28:29 AM »
It's time for a new decade, flieger.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #31526 on: May 23, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »
The Big Sleep (1946)

No, I don't know what happened. I don't think Marlowe entirely did, either. He reminds me of an East Coast version of Frances McDormand's character in Fargo - Marlowe just sticks around and keeps asking questions.

And we get one of the great lines in film: "What do you want me to do - count three, like they do in the movies?"

I enjoyed noticing the similarities between this and Lebowski. That probably made me enjoy it more.

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31527 on: May 23, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »
The Big Sleep (1946)

No, I don't know what happened. I don't think Marlowe entirely did, either. He reminds me of an East Coast version of Frances McDormand's character in Fargo - Marlowe just sticks around and keeps asking questions.

And we get one of the great lines in film: "What do you want me to do - count three, like they do in the movies?"

I enjoyed noticing the similarities between this and Lebowski. That probably made me enjoy it more.

I think you just blew my mind. That the two were similar at all had never occurred to me!

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #31528 on: May 23, 2010, 01:19:45 PM »
Leonard Cohen: Live at the Isle of Wight 1970

One year after Woodstock, 600,000 people attended the five day Isle of Wight festival. Murray Lerner was there filming and has since released concert docs of The Who and Jimi Hendrix, as well as a feature-length film called Message to Love: The Isle of Wight Festival. Leonard Cohen went on stage at 4am on the last night of the festival, and this film shows excellent footage and sound of his performance, interspersed with some brief interviews about the concert and the trials of the other performers who went on there.

I saw this at 11pm last night at the Northwest Film Forum, and it felt as if Leonard Cohen were singing me a sexy lullaby. If you're a fan of Cohen or concert films and you get the opportunity to see this, do check it out.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31529 on: May 23, 2010, 04:01:53 PM »

"What we're talking about..is the extinction of the human.race."
Bah.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love