love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998012 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31530 on: May 23, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »

"What we're talking about..is the extinction of the human.race."
Bah.

I hear it has some good camp value.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #31531 on: May 23, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »
Yôjinbô

Only second Kurosawa film to watch, first being Rashomon.  Though I enjoyed it, it didn't grab me like Rashomon did and most likely wouldn't repeat watch it.

Little Children

hmm, like Happiness without any humor?  This film works for me for certain scenes that I just think are well done plus the guy who play the sex offender just seems like he naturally fits that part.  I started to worry it was going to build into some big final ending a la Crash but it managed to avoid it to an extend.  I do often like movies that leave the ending open which this one does...sort of.

I also get the feeling like I am not missing much for having chosen not to go the domestic, suburbia route, like my brothers.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31532 on: May 23, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »
Dafoe and Neill are hamming it up, but Hawke apparently wasn't in on the joke.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #31533 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »
Dafoe and Neill are hamming it up, but Hawke apparently wasn't in on the joke.

he never is.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #31534 on: May 23, 2010, 09:46:57 PM »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #31535 on: May 23, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »
Micmacs...

Hmm... this is right at the level of, if not better than, Amelie.  Jean-Pierre Jeunet had a hell of a decade.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #31536 on: May 23, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »
Micmacs...

Hmm... this is right at the level of, if not better than, Amelie.  Jean-Pierre Jeunet had a hell of a decade.

It is very enjoyable, but not sure it is better than Amelie. I just connect with Jeunet films.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31537 on: May 23, 2010, 10:35:33 PM »
It's Complicated

It's cute in that baby boomers doing it kind of way. Awkward bonus points watching it with my baby boomer parents. The film is frothy but ultimately succeeds on the chemistry of the leads (and strong supporting performances from the kids). It does get a bit long in the second half as the hijinks and emotion get turned up to eleven but ultimately it does enough.

Micmacs...

Hmm... this is right at the level of, if not better than, Amelie.  Jean-Pierre Jeunet had a hell of a decade.

I need to see this. I hadn't connected Amelie to A Very Long Engagement, which I also really liked, outside of Audrey Tautou until the NYT had an article about him today. Reckon I should give the director his props and see his other stuff.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:44:34 PM by Bondo »

flieger

« Reply #31538 on: May 23, 2010, 10:37:33 PM »
It's time for a new decade, flieger.

After this, quite possibly.

The Happiness of the Katakuris (Takashi Miike, 2001)
What a CINECASTing mess. Miike made 7 films in 2001, and it shows. A wildly uneven film, where every transcendent moment - and there are quite a few of them, but not as many as I'd hoped - is matched by at least 5 or 6 where you just go "Huh?" or "Ugh". Enthusiasm carries a lot of the burden, but not all. The rest is left to the viewer, and it just could not be done. This sort of filmic conceit is a perilous one, and Miike doesn't pull it off. The enthusiasm of the cast is matched by their mugging (again, every great moment of overplaying is handicapped by the dozens of times it doesn't come off), and the musical numbers are either brilliant, or not so much. Interesting to see, but nothing I will treasure.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #31539 on: May 23, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."