Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996565 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31540 on: May 23, 2010, 11:03:04 PM »
The Secret of Kells (Tomm Moore, 2010)

Honestly, I want to say Up didn't have it in the bag all the way...

It's the symmetry and the way shapes blend into one another that makes the animation work. And yeah, it is better than all the other Best Animated Feature nominees outside of FMF, probably. Glad you enjoyed this film. You should see A Town Called Panic at some point when it comes out on DVD. Also, support these films in the Filmspots this year.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #31541 on: May 23, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
I must have completely missed something in Secret of Kells.  It didn't do anything for me.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #31542 on: May 23, 2010, 11:05:57 PM »

It's the symmetry and the way shapes blend into one another that makes the animation work. And yeah, it is better than all the other Best Animated Feature nominees outside of FMF, probably. Glad you enjoyed this film. You should see A Town Called Panic at some point when it comes out on DVD. Also, support these films in the Filmspots this year.

A Town Called Panic played for a short time at the indie theater down the street but I missed it. I'll try to get the DVD rent a go.

I must have completely missed something in Secret of Kells.  It didn't do anything for me.

It just clicked with me, it really got me. Did you at least enjoy the animation?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31543 on: May 23, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »

Nor me; plus it is racist against Vikings.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #31544 on: May 23, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »

I was hoping they weren't going to attack, but given the story I also think it was necessary for where they were going. But I was hoping they were going to make a message about how crazy the Abbot was for only caring about the wall and then not even need it. Not that it did much during the attack anyway.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31545 on: May 23, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »

Your review nails it, I agree it should have won best animated, but go find reason with the academy.  It is one of the most beautiful animated films ever made, and it achieves its beauty in the most economical way possible.  Fly is right, I think its the symmetry plus the way everything is balanced in every 'frame' that makes it so aesthetically pleasing.  

All you vikings ever do is rape, pillage, and collect welfare checks...  I am so sick of answering machines asking me if I want to hear something in Icelandic, this is America learn damn english!          
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:42:10 PM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31546 on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »
z, did you end up watching 5 Centimeters?

I was hoping they weren't going to attack, but given the story I also think it was necessary for where they were going. But I was hoping they were going to make a message about how crazy the Abbot was for only caring about the wall and then not even need it. Not that it did much during the attack anyway.

For me it wasn't the plot so much as the character art that tipped the scale. Plus I am mostly just picking on something to cover for the fact that I just didn't find the story interesting.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #31547 on: May 24, 2010, 01:25:13 AM »
It just clicked with me, it really got me. Did you at least enjoy the animation?

The animation was beautiful. I'll give it that.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #31548 on: May 24, 2010, 01:29:41 AM »
Of the four films I watched this weekend just gone, the one I enjoyed most was directed by Nicholas Ray. Expect full reviews at some stage in the future.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31549 on: May 24, 2010, 01:39:53 AM »
Only Yesterday (1991)

aka Harvest Moon: The Movie...Now With Menarche
[...]
Rating: 2/5

And speaking of Only Yesterday and animated films, for those who are interested in participating in formulating the new iteration of the Top 100 Animated, head over here and help us trial run a proposed scoring system. So far I've got 8 but I'd like a few more to make the test a bit more robust.