love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997244 times)

bernacj21

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31550 on: May 24, 2010, 03:06:58 AM »
I did the Apocalypse movie. I don't if it is the old one or the new. I just couldn't get my eyes off the screen as I was astonished on the plot of the film. It gives a not super action but it somehow awakens my faith in God that there are already signs of the last days. Revelation in the Bible all explain every detail of the movie.
Folks, let us open our eyes to what really is happening around us. Isn't frightening?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:07:21 AM by bernacj21 »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31551 on: May 24, 2010, 03:21:50 AM »
Blast from the past.

The Messenger

The parts of this movie where they are on the job are a powerful glimpse into one aspect of how the military works that is just endlessly captivating. The parts of the movies that deal with their personal lives border on dreadful. And as strong as the acting work is, his interaction with Samantha Morton's character strains the belief (if only because you hope for a shade more professionalism, not because you wouldn't buy it...she is Samantha Morton after all).

Unfortunately, the personal stuff makes up the majority of the film. I think it does have enough to offer to still recommend but falls far short of last year's other "war at home" film, Brothers.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #31552 on: May 24, 2010, 07:13:41 AM »
Blast from the past.

That's actually Robert Pattinson posting.

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #31553 on: May 24, 2010, 07:50:53 AM »

Saw this as a kid and remembered liking it so tivo'd it from TCM the other night. Beautiful panoramic scenes of the American West. I would guess the most off the beaten path role for Dame Judith Anderson in her career. most of the bit actors were true Native Americans so the ones that were not really stood out as looking different but it was made in 1970 so the technology was limited.

With no subtitles it really puts you in the mind of the protagonist who is well played by Richard Harris.

I give it a B-.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #31554 on: May 24, 2010, 11:04:18 AM »
The Life of Emile Zola (William Dieterle, 1937)

Having not seen anything else from that yea I don't reckon, I cannot say whether the accolades were deserved, but it was a somewhat well crafted film. Paul Muni in the title role gives a great performance which culminates in a moving speech at the end.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31555 on: May 24, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »
The Fisher King

This Jeff Bridges guy...I think he could be something. They should give him an Oscar.

The first thing that strikes me about this film is how unrealistic it is. I mean, a hyperbolic radio host being punished and feeling guilty for the carnage that results from his rhetoric? Who is going to believe that. In the real world someone like him would suffer no ill effects.

It is very Gilliam, and often I find Gilliam gets in his own way and the bizarre doesn't really further the plot but is a sideshow. I thought Imaginarium was brilliant in reigning the bizarre into the plot. Here it is a bit less controlled and often obnoxious. That keeps me at a bit of a distance from a decent story.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #31556 on: May 24, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
The Fisher King

It is very Gilliam, and often I find Gilliam gets in his own way and the bizarre doesn't really further the plot but is a sideshow. I thought Imaginarium The Fisher King was brilliant in reigning the bizarre into the plot. Here In Imaginarium it is a bit less controlled and often obnoxious. That keeps me at a bit of a distance from a decent story.

FYP to reflect my opinion.  Sorry.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31557 on: May 24, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
5 Centimeters per Second

Yeah this is one of the most beautiful animes ever made.  Only Miyazaki in top form can hold a candle to this stuff.  Its not just a few pretty shots, every single frame in the film is atleast screen saver worthy.  Even if its something as simple as two empty chocolate milk cartons left on a bench outside a convenience store, the director makes the shot look like a Monet painting.  Go to the nearest modern art museum, take whatever they have hanging there and toss it in the trash, replace that garbage with stills of this movie, I guarantee you more people will start coming to the museum.  

The plot is simple, its a story about a young mans first love and his inability to let go and move on from that first romance.  We get a story of a couple falling in love, and a second story of unrequited love, and a third story of a young man trying to learn to love again, all told with immense tenderness and understanding.  It almost makes me angry, Hollywood churns out dozens of romantic films every year and non of them bear any remote semblance to my personal life experience, I view those films as nature documentaries on the mating rituals of emotionless space aliens.  This movie is the opposite, I found myself thinking "thats me" over and over again.  The nervous anticipation before a romantic encounter, the inability to confess romantic feeling to the one you love, the sad realization that someone likes you and you are completely unwilling to reciprocate their confession, the triumph of a kiss, the heartbreak of a "no", its all here.  Only 63 min but feels epic.    

10/10 top 100 material
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:27:18 PM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #31558 on: May 24, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
I couldn't make it through Fisher King. I can't do Gilliam, personal preference.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31559 on: May 24, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
I couldn't make it through Fisher King. I can't do Gilliam, personal preference.

He's very hit or miss for me. I do really enjoy The Fisher King and 12 Monkeys, Imaginarium was okay, I didn't get Brazil at all, Brother's Grimm was a headscratcher, and I've yet to make it all the way through Fear & Loathing.

love