love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996480 times)

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31560 on: May 24, 2010, 05:27:40 PM »
5 Centimeters per Second

Yeah this is one of the most beautiful animes ever made.  Only Miyazaki in top form can hold a candle to this stuff.     

10/10 top 100 material

Added to 'to watch' list.

Watched Donnie Darko and didn't like it. Nothing spectacular.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31561 on: May 24, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
5 Centimeters per Second
10/10 top 100 material

First me, then you, then the world. :)

Glad you loved it; it is snugly into my top 100 as well. I hope it becomes available on Netflix soon as I'd like more people to see it before Top 100 Animation voting.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #31562 on: May 24, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »
5 Centimeters per Second

10/10 top 100 material

Sounds like a fantastic film zarodinu. I looked up some more screenshots from google images - and wow - this does look beautiful. Should this have made the top films of the decade list? I will have to watch this when I can find it!
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #31563 on: May 24, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »
I should watch his films again. See if they suck less.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31564 on: May 24, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »

Before Sunset

Spoilers, I guess.

As a human, as a young person, I idealise situations. I sometime have a habit of creating dialogue scenes, conversations, and having them play out exactly as I want them to. Sometimes it means someone agrees for a date, sometimes it could be a break up or a fight, but it is always about love. Because love is tempermental, more then anything else in this world, it shifts for no reason, it fades for no reason, the people we love never fits the same mold as people who have stuff in common with us, and, most importantly, it is the most potent and all consuming of emotions. And so, at least for me personally, I craft narratives in order to be able to put some sort of order to love, or to be able to understand it, in the way I want to understand. I try to remind myself "life is random, you must be ready for a situation you don't want" but I never listen to that part of me.

If Before Sunrise is the all-encompassing fantasy I have created, then Before Sunset is the voice telling me to pull back, the voice trying to remind me of the real world. As Jesse and Celine wander around Paris, the real world and it's problems become so apparent. And we see, in that incredibly powerful scene in the back of the car, this toll it has taken, this dream has taken on their own lives. Lets say you acheive the dream, the perfect moment of love, of passion. How hard would it be to have to live an ordinary life afterwards?

And so we get a meditation on that and other themes, moments, and little detials and such, stuff that was the bulk of the first movie. Linklater's camera really gets at why I love Paris, the beauty of the city, and the beauty of the weather on that day. My god, that ride on the seine was gorgeous! But the dilogue is what matters, and here more then in any movie it flows gracefully. Because thios movie isn basically a screenplay, but the jumps are never felt and the whole movie becomes like one huge dilogue scene. Every just works, from the jokes to the outbursts to declarations of love to stating political opinions.

And I almost feel as if this is the person I will become in, oh, 14 odd years. Clovis constantly goes on about how you have to be the same age as these characters to fully appreciate these films, but I don't agree. I've alreayd talked about how these movies link into my own view on love, and I feel as though this isn't a movie which is made specifically for a certain age, even in the aspect that it works better when you are older. I can understand Clovis. This is a not a movie where your reaction is dictated by age but by world view. 100 relationships with bastards and you could still be a romantic, a perfect relationship and you could still be paranoid it's going to break apart at any moment. Life is too random, too chaotic to prescribe timelines or dates or anything. And that's what this movie is about. Things happen, and we have to make the best of them. And this is why, in the end, I think Jesse Stays with Celine. I think when he says "I know" at the end, he just sort of realises that he has to take hold of this.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

flieger

« Reply #31565 on: May 24, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »

Blissfully Yours (Achipatpong Weerasethakul, 2002)

Creamy gearsticks, languid erections, cliffside picnics juxtaposed with frantic copulation. This film is much more free-form than his narrative-heavy Syndromes and a Century. The textures say it all. The interplay between dark and light, the constantly changing dappled light of the forest, the moving stream, the whole film being suffused with sounds of the forest, the gentle images and sequences of non-erotic eroticism as if in some Edenic idyll. The liminality of the protagonists, as they move through various worlds, a terrain of what seems to be a waking dream of desire, flesh and purification.

Is it regression, or progression? Does it need to be anything at all? It seems to be a release, but there is ambiguity, especially between the three protagonists, and extra especially in the character of Orn. What motivates her is far from clear, but there is an undercurrent to this film, that defies conventional motivations, or conventional narrative in any way. There is an alien energy in the forest, the landscape they traverse, that defies traditional interpretation and might just need to be experienced in the most primal sense. A cheeky provocation, sublime meditation, a film that transcends but also radically grounds the viewer. Or not. It's that sort of film. Sublime.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:09:26 AM by flieger »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #31566 on: May 24, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »
This film is much more free-form than his narrative-heavy Syndromes and a Century. The textures say it all.

:D

Nathan Adams

• Temple of Reviews
« Reply #31567 on: May 24, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »
Cyrus (2010) ****/*****

Most filmgoing audiences saw John C Reilly most recently as a foil for Will Ferrell in the 2008 comedy Step Brothers.  It told the story of two overgrown man-children who were thrust into a shared living situation and consequently engage in a war of words and misdeeds due to their selfish discomfort with no longer being the center of their individual universes.  Cyrus tells exactly the same story, yet manages to be a completely different filmgoing experience than it’s more mainstream predecessor.  Made by Jay and Mark Duplass, big names in the mumblecore genre of low budget, loosely scripted, naturalist filmmaking, Cyrus has a subtlety and grounded realism that today’s mainstream comedies largely lack.  Cyrus relies on heart and dramatic weight rather than just pure absurdism to drive its engine.  It falls closer to the Judd Apatow side of the successful modern comedy spectrum than it does the Adam McKay side; but it adds an underground, indie grittiness that sets it apart from anything else out there...   

Full review at: Temple of Reviews

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31568 on: May 24, 2010, 10:27:43 PM »

Before Sunset

Spoilers, I guess.

Glad you loved it and proved me wrong. :D

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31569 on: May 24, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »
Good Hair

This is very, very good. So good that instead of giving a proper review here I decided to write it up as a full column for my new series at The Reelists (see column #1 here on Robin Hood/Iron Man 2).

I have decided to subscribe to the documentary ghetto though, as much as I love many docs, very few may my top 100 list because I feel documentaries serve a different purpose from a fiction film. Documentaries tend to be very targeted while fiction films often speak on many level. Maybe this is shallow of me, I don't know.

love