love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998187 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31700 on: May 29, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »
God was wrong! Great movie.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #31701 on: May 29, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
Ace In The Hole

A great Wilder movie with Kirk Douglas as a jerk who will do whatever he can to get his old desk back in a famous New York newspaper.    I like this better than any other Wilder I've seen, although I'm sad that Kirk Douglas acted so well that I have to hate him now.  4/5

Clue

Murder By Death lite.  It even includes two of the actors who were in Murder by Death, and had a number of scenes that were reminiscent of that movie.  However, it simply wasn't as funny, so reminding me of the much better movie didn't help.  Still, it was fun. 3/5

Babette's Feast

A thoughtful film with rich, spiritual themes, yet being sensual at the same time.  It is really a simple fable about the true nature of simplicity and giving.  Wonderful.  4/5

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #31702 on: May 29, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »
The Lost Weekend

I'm interested to hear Adam and Matty's take on this. It does a lot of very interesting things both visually and with the storytelling. I liked it but some of the melodramatic parts just felt really awkward.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31703 on: May 29, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »
Babette's Feast

A thoughtful film with rich, spiritual themes, yet being sensual at the same time.  It is really a simple fable about the true nature of simplicity and giving.  Wonderful.  4/5
This is easily one of my favorites. Glad you enjoyed it.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #31704 on: May 29, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »
The Lost Weekend

I'm interested to hear Adam and Matty's take on this. It does a lot of very interesting things both visually and with the storytelling. I liked it but some of the melodramatic parts just felt really awkward.

Don't waste their time. He's a one-note lame drunk and the bird is just a boring fawning facilitator. The film is tripe.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31705 on: May 29, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I definitely wanted too like this more. What fun, what color, what joie de vivre. Also, what guy wouldn't fall in love with Catherine Deneuve.

But I had issues that go far beyond this film. I find the "sing everything that is said" approach to musicals rather than the talking plus songs approach to be a bit grating because a lot of it seems musically forced. I'd also say that like watching a film in a foreign language naturally entails losing something, this is exaggerated with music in some ways.

There are a lot of meta elements here. Going to the opera within an operetta, saying that something happens only in the movies. BTW, I'd like to use this space to recommend another French operetta, Not On The Lips, starring Audrey Tautou from 2003. I thought that was a lot of fun.

Anyway, my opener isn't really accurate. This movie is shockingly downbeat and pessimistic in a way, or perhaps it is just realistic. What starts in joy just loses all its energy over the course of the movie to the point where I was kind of hating life. I didn't really enjoy this but I still manage a hint of appreciation for seeing it.

P.S. I feel like this movie inspired Billy Joel's Uptown Girl in some way.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #31706 on: May 29, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »
Price of Persia: The Sands of Time (Mike something, 2010)
So noisy. Jake is hilarious as an action hero. I like the Bond girl.
Grade: Noisy
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31707 on: May 29, 2010, 06:55:52 PM »
:D

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31708 on: May 29, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »
Mother

Those eyes contain all the love, sorrow, and determination in the world.  Best female performance of this year.  Bong remains my favorite Korean director and I love Korean cinema, he is yet to direct a single dud. 

8/10
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #31709 on: May 29, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »
Avalon (Mamoru Oshii, 2001)

I didn't even know about this one. I will have to look it up. Sounds fantastic!

Tim, I have the dvd if you are interested
Yes Please!!!  ;D
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

love