Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998435 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31770 on: May 30, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »
Easy argument to end...

The Family Guy is the dumbest show to ever air on TV. It thinks one thing is funny, making stupid pop culture references. It is actually pretty bad at even that, it's sole purpose.

this would indicate that Seth's other two shows are better than this one... that is something I cannot abide.

The Cleveland Show is pretty bad, but American Dad is a million times better than The Family Guy and one of the best animated efforts the small screen has ever seen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31771 on: May 30, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Hey how about you take the Family Guy argument to the TV threads

This thread is sort of a catch all for the forum Dave. We dont heavily mod it (except for spoilers). The conversation here is pretty organic.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #31772 on: May 30, 2010, 06:02:14 PM »

This thread is sort of a catch all for the forum Dave. We dont heavily mod it (except for spoilers). The conversation here is pretty organic.
Ok

flieger

« Reply #31773 on: May 30, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »

Ok

Don't quit Dave. Fight the power.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #31774 on: May 30, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »

Ferris' 20 Essential Vitamins and Minerals
Film #7 of 20

Double Indemnity (1944, Billy Wilder)

It may be about time I just admit once-and-for-all that 50s film noir  just isn't for me. (more...)

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #31775 on: May 30, 2010, 07:02:46 PM »
Bodyguards and Assassins

So this seemed to have be nominated and won a lot of awards including Best Film at the HK awards.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyguards_and_Assassins#Awards_and_nominations

More or less based on true events, a Chinese revolutionary (Sun Wen) that is in exile in Japan intends to come to HK to discuss and plot the overthrow of the Qing Dynasty back in 1905.  China is set to have Sun Wen assassinated while local HK rebels have to protect him while he visits. 

Overall, it was an interesting story and I wish they had mostly centered on telling the story.  But they had to mix in quite a bit of over the top martial arts into the film which sort of takes away the authenticity of the events that took place.  I would have been happier with a straight telling of events and realistic action then to mix an historical event with a martial arts action film. 

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31776 on: May 30, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »
Fargo (1996, The Coen Brothers)  Grade A+

Going through and watching some of my top 20 films.  Fargo may slip two notches from #9 to #11, but it is still all-time great.  It is after-all from the 'ever-changing top 100 list'

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #31777 on: May 30, 2010, 08:14:52 PM »

Film #7 of 20

It may be about time I just admit once-and-for-all that 50s film noir  just isn't for me. (more...)

Have you seen Body Heat? Kasdan has a good take on the Double Indemnity story.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31778 on: May 30, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »

Film #7 of 20

Have you seen Body Heat? Kasdan has a good take on the Double Indemnity story.

Didn't know that!  Hmmm I'll have to check that out.
(switchboard)

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #31779 on: May 30, 2010, 09:47:46 PM »
The Godfather (1972, Francis Ford Coppola)  Grade A+

I was in Rochester, NY this past weekend and used the opportunity to get together with my old friend Stephen O Selsnick.  Rochester is the home of the George Eastman House which contains the world-famous Dryden theater.  This weekend they just happened to be playing The Godfather, so the two of us went out to watch.  How cool was it to watch in this setting.  As many times as I've seen this film, seeing it in this venue I noticed lots of details I'd never noticed before.  Very cool all the way around

Amen