love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997343 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31790 on: May 31, 2010, 09:43:22 AM »
Sleeping Dogs Lie

Bobcat Goldthwait from Police Academy fame writes and directs a funny, touching, emotional tale about being 100% honest in a relationship and if that is a good idea.  Against better judgement, Amy tells her finance her darkest secret of her past after he has shared a personal and disgusting story of his past.  Only to find that her secret is more then her finance and family can handle and how it changes all their lives.

Nothing in this seemed forced to me, the expressions and reactions seem very real and natural.  I know it is billed as a comedy but comes off much more as a drama with a few very funny moments.

I didn't care for World's Greatest Dad very much but if you did enjoy it, then you should watch this which I think is far better.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #31791 on: May 31, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
GWH is lesser Van Sant, but it's still great.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #31792 on: May 31, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
...I do like The Godfather better than Goodfellas which I actually dislike.

I'm with you there
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

dylanis

« Reply #31793 on: May 31, 2010, 10:35:44 AM »
Eh.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31794 on: May 31, 2010, 03:47:06 PM »
I remember watching with disbelief the part where they all sit down for a nice forty minute discussion on running a communist commune.  It is hard to make a movie where you want the fascists to win, but Ken Loach succeeded.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31795 on: May 31, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »
The Collector (Marcus Dunstan, 2009)

I wouldn't usually watch a movie like this but we were at a buddies house and it was the group's decision. Personally I'd had my fill of the Saw-type films after the first Saw. Yeah it was suspensful, and fun in a cringe-inducing sort of way, but it got old pretty fast.

The victims are just rats in a maze and we learn almost nothing about the villain. It's completely frustrating to watch. The movie teases you like "oooh, you better stick around if you want to find out what's going on" but then never delivers. Instead it sets up for a sequel which I have no interest in watching, because I'm pretty sure it will just set up another sequel. The story was never that good to begin with! I just wanted a cheap thrill with a good ending.

IMDB link

flieger

« Reply #31796 on: May 31, 2010, 04:35:49 PM »
I remember watching with disbelief the part where they all sit down for a nice forty minute discussion on running a communist commune.

Same, except that I loved it!  :D

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #31797 on: May 31, 2010, 06:04:18 PM »
I remember watching with disbelief the part where they all sit down for a nice forty minute discussion on running a communist commune.

Same, except that I loved it!  :D

I always wondered who actually watches CSPAN...   ;D
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31798 on: May 31, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »
Waltz With Bashir

So I finally watched this film. It was amazing. A truly beautiful film. It hits me in a really personal way. My father was stationed in Southern Lebanon in '78, four years before the war. This was at a time before Israel officially had relations with Lebanon, and so the unit's presence there was something of a secret. My uncle actually fought in the war. I've heard both of them tell stories of their experiences many times. I also sat down to watch this film with them and their reaction was powerful.

My uncle remembers the Sabra and Shatila as one of the great shames in Israeli history. My father didn't have any direct connection to the war. He was already living in Canada at the time. Still, they were both similarly struck by the way it captured the experience of being a soldier in Israel, and probably any soldier in any war zone.

One thing that a lot of people don't understand about Israel is that as a culture they are one with their military. Nearly every single Israeli has served in the military. Moreso than going to high school or any other common experience, serving in the military is a shared experience. Sit any Israelis above the age of 20 next to each other and they will automatically have something in common to discuss and to bond them. It's ingrained. It's a necessary part of the Israeli identity, but as such a big part of the Israeli identity is steeped in violence.

You add this to the idea talked about in the film, that every Jew in Israel is also steeped in the horrors of the Holocaust, and you have a recipe for a culture that has a difficult time dealing with the violence that surrounds them and that they take part in.

The moment that really stuck out for me was one that has been described to me by my parents and my uncle before. When my mom once told me the story of the Yom Kippur War ('73) and the Six Day War ('76) she told me about how the country effectively shut down. The war was going on within the country and the fear that at any time you could be killed was real. People stayed at home on enforced rooms or in bunkers. By the time of the Lebanon War and ever since the fighting had been moved to outside or along the borders. The population had also become relatively desensitized and life simply carried on, even during wartime. This is true even today. With that in mind I was really struck by the scene where Folman describes exactly that idea when he returns home and goes to a club, with all the people there completely unfazed by the horrors taking place not far North of them.

In my eyes Waltz With Bashir isn't really about the Sabra and Shatila Massacre. That's an event that is clearly at the heart of the film, but it isn't what it's about. The film is instead about what it is to be a kid, barely cognizant of the realities of the World, thrown into the horrors of violent conflict. It captures the horror, but even more amazingly, it captures the bewilderment. When these people witness the massacre at the end they do understand what's going on, but they are so confused in their hearts by it that they are essentially left to look on in horror. Ambiguity in Waltz With Bashir is not in the political aspects, but in the reflection of how people, young people in particular, are left to deal with war. It's dark and it's emotional and it's beautiful to watch, even though it's also horrific. And in that Waltz With Bashir finds a point of view on war that I don't think I've seen represented more effectively in film before.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #31799 on: May 31, 2010, 10:16:35 PM »
Great review Hamster.  Waltz with Bashir is a modern masterpiece and one of the best films ever made.