Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996698 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31800 on: May 31, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »

Stray Dog 8.5/10

I didn't immediately get sucked into the procedural aspect, guess I just wasn't in the mood for the long montage of Mifune looking for his gun. I actually rewatched that portion of the film the next day and it worked much better. It was weird seeing Mifune so young and restrained (intense, but not manic) but anytime he's paired up with Shimura, it's guaranteed to be something special. The scenes of just the two of them talking about the job were my favorite parts of the film. The film effectively creates the suffocating feel of the dead summer, especially with bodies crammed on the bus or in a club. Everyone is always glistening with sweat, constantly fanning themselves or wiping their brow. High and Low is still my preferred Kurosawa procedural but this is another strong one.

Throne Of Blood 9/10

This is easily one of my favorite Shakespeare film adaptations (Macbeth in case you don't know). I love everything about this film. The staging of it all is sparse, but in the most beautiful, theatrical way. Mifune is perfect and it was a great contrast to his restrained performance in Stray Dog. Isuzu Yamada rarely displays any facial expression and it’s pretty much the creepiest thing ever and a very effective use of Noh tradition. The closing sequence when Mifune meets his end is perfect in every way. Yet another Kurosawa likely to make my revised top 100.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31801 on: May 31, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
Life Is Sweet (Mike Leigh, 1990)

Typical Mike Leigh. Chatty dialogue, natural feeling performances, humble and honest characters, and slice-of-life storytelling. There's a real economy to his work. Long scenes, small sets, and not a lot of actors. In some cases the films could just as easily be stage plays. I'm not complaining, just observing.

The main thing is, Leigh's films have real heart. Life is Sweet is no exception.

IMDB link

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #31802 on: May 31, 2010, 11:14:40 PM »

Stray Dog 8.5/10

I didn't immediately get sucked into the procedural aspect, guess I just wasn't in the mood for the long montage of Mifune looking for his gun. I actually rewatched that portion of the film the next day and it worked much better. It was weird seeing Mifune so young and restrained (intense, but not manic) but anytime he's paired up with Shimura, it's guaranteed to be something special. The scenes of just the two of them talking about the job were my favorite parts of the film. The film effectively creates the suffocating feel of the dead summer, especially with bodies crammed on the bus or in a club. Everyone is always glistening with sweat, constantly fanning themselves or wiping their brow. High and Low is still my preferred Kurosawa procedural but this is another strong one.

Yes muthaCINECAST!a!

I just posted a review at my blog about this movie. I love it. My favourite Kurosawa. A masterpiece.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #31803 on: May 31, 2010, 11:19:14 PM »
Waltz With Bashir

So I finally watched this film. It was amazing. A truly beautiful film.

Yes muthaCINECAST!a! I like this movie a lot too.

Very insightful comments you share as well. A people being one with its military...I don't what to feel about that. Sounds very foreign to what I know. Interesting, but very foreign.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #31804 on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »
Yes muthaCINECAST!a!

I just posted a review at my blog about this movie. I love it. My favourite Kurosawa. A masterpiece.

Cool, I'll be sure to read it. It's actually probably my least favorite Kurosawa (which means it's still better than 99% of films), but only because everything else I've seen is also a masterpiece.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31805 on: May 31, 2010, 11:34:42 PM »
Waltz With Bashir

Yes muthaCINECAST!a! I like this movie a lot too.

Very insightful comments you share as well. A people being one with its military...I don't what to feel about that. Sounds very foreign to what I know. Interesting, but very foreign.

Yeah. It's a very intersting dynamic. It's important in so many ways for the survival of the nation, but the consequences of that on the nation's psyche is fascinating.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31806 on: June 01, 2010, 12:15:30 AM »
Zombieland (2009, Ruben Fleischer)  
I must admit, this didn't completely suck.

High praise indeed.  :D But you got this wrong, Zombieland is totally better than The Godfather.

Now go one step beyond and watch Shaun Of The Dead - you will truly appreciate this genre. ;)
Hey, nice marmot!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31807 on: June 01, 2010, 12:45:38 AM »
Waltz With Bashir

Does not liking Waltz With Bashir make me an anti-semite ;). I'd say it makes me a person of poor taste but that would probably be redundant.

Seriously though, I probably should give it a second shot...perhaps for the column.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31808 on: June 01, 2010, 06:20:42 AM »
Waltz With Bashir

Does not liking Waltz With Bashir make me an anti-semite ;). I'd say it makes me a person of poor taste but that would probably be redundant.

Seriously though, I probably should give it a second shot...perhaps for the column.

lol. Not liking it just means you didn't like it. I can actually see it being an alienating sort of film. Really, I think a good chunk of the power for me rested in the stories I'd heard from my family about serving in the military and living through the wars. And nothing to do with the political issues. That's a whole different conversation. Just from a human and social perspective.

Another interesting thing was that I thought the subtitles were really accurate. There were a couple spots where bits were missed, but nothing really important. A lot of times I'll watch an Israeli movie and get annoyed by what the subtitles are changing, but in this case I didn't.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #31809 on: June 01, 2010, 08:16:04 AM »
Shaun of the Dead

Zombieland > SotD

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman