love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996978 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31850 on: June 02, 2010, 07:12:46 AM »
Bloody Sunday (Paul Greengrass, 2002)

I wish Greengrass also knew how to create likeable three dimensional characters.  The action setpiece (half of movie really) is great, I just wish I cared for the people doing the shooting or the people getting shot.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #31851 on: June 02, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »
Titanic (1997, James Cameron)

"I don't know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all this."

Grade: Best movie-going experience of my adolescence.

Do you agree that a lot of the effects don't hold up?

Its interesting that you ask that. For the first time (of the dozens of times I've watched it), I did notice the CGI. It still didn't have the same effect as Avatar though. I wasn't questioning how it was done, so it didn't take me out of the experience.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #31852 on: June 02, 2010, 08:43:49 AM »
Shaun of the Dead

Zombieland > SotD

I would like to see this opinion defended, please.

Me too.
Me three

Zombieland is a zombie film with comedy. Shaun of the Dead is a fantastic parody of the zombie genre while also being a great entry in the zombie genre.

Wow, just woke up, didn't know SotD had that much love over Zombieland.  I was never considering which made a better parody as I really do not know the genre.  I recall having maybe just watched on of those Dawn of the Dead movies back in the 80s so I have little frame of reference to them.  Zombieland just made me laugh more and that might have something to do with having watching Zombieland first so it seemed original to me.  Plus, Metillica during the opening credits rocks.

But Shaun of the Dead has "Don't Stop Me Now"!

I love both movies and could watch either of them again & again.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #31853 on: June 02, 2010, 08:47:30 AM »
hmm. good point, that is a great song and was a damn funny scene.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #31854 on: June 02, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »

Bloody Sunday (Paul Greengrass, 2002)
(Kudos to the executive who saw this film and decided that Greengrass was the man to direct United 93. Takes balls, my friend.)

I think Bourne Supremacy was sammiched in between the two no?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #31855 on: June 02, 2010, 09:06:48 AM »
Plus Greengrass developed United 93 himself.  It was made outside the studio system.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31856 on: June 02, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »
Have I lost it? (And if I have, what is it that I've lost?)
Slumdog Millionaire

This film perfectly captures how I feel about movies.
You think they're all really overrated?
I think a good companion piece to this review would be The Last of the Mohicans.

Also, best not to base any of my views on the entire medium with just one review. I'd like to think I'm at least a little more complex than that.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #31857 on: June 02, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
Have I lost it? (And if I have, what is it that I've lost?)
Slumdog Millionaire

This film perfectly captures how I feel about movies.
You think they're all really overrated?
I think a good companion piece to this review would be The Last of the Mohicans.

Also, best not to base any of my views on the entire medium with just one review. I'd like to think I'm at least a little more complex than that.

HAHAHA. I laugh because I wrote that before actually reading your review, assuming that you had enjoyed it and were surprised/disappointed in yourself for having those feelings.

I still don't hate it or anything and I can see why people would be sucked into that story, but it didn't do much for me.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31858 on: June 02, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Niels Arden Oplev, 2010)

What an excellent mystery. Well acted, well told and it doesn't feel as long as it is. After Shutter Island it's the best movie I've seen this year. A very satisfying theatre experience.

IMDB link

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #31859 on: June 02, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »
Shaun of the Dead

Zombieland > SotD

I would like to see this opinion defended, please.

Me too.
Me three

Zombieland is a zombie film with comedy. Shaun of the Dead is a fantastic parody of the zombie genre while also being a great entry in the zombie genre.

Wow, just woke up, didn't know SotD had that much love over Zombieland.  I was never considering which made a better parody as I really do not know the genre.  I recall having maybe just watched on of those Dawn of the Dead movies back in the 80s so I have little frame of reference to them.  Zombieland just made me laugh more and that might have something to do with having watching Zombieland first so it seemed original to me.  Plus, Metillica during the opening credits rocks.

But Shaun of the Dead has "Don't Stop Me Now"!

I love both movies and could watch either of them again & again.
Agree, both movies are very watchable for multiple viewings.

love