Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996691 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31870 on: June 03, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »
Yea, The Hudsucker Proxy is pretty great.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #31871 on: June 03, 2010, 12:12:16 AM »
That's probably what mine looks like (with a few adjustments, of course) and Miller's Crossing at the top. That should be your next move.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #31872 on: June 03, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »
Black Narcissus (Powell & Pressburger, 1947)

This is pretty much worth seeing for the incredible use of technicolor and beautiful matte-paintings alone. It has a definite feel of an era gone by in the filmmaking, but in a pretty magical way. I enjoyed the story well enough, although it didn't quite captivate me. The buildup in the final act is really well-done though, despite a rather cartoonish antagonist. There are certain things from this movie that have really stuck with me, so I would definitely recommend it as one to see.

Abomination

• Elite Member
« Reply #31873 on: June 03, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »
I will probably watch both of those soon, thanks guys.  And I definitely need to see O Brother, Where Art Thou?

And I really did like Blood Simple as well, which just goes to show how great their other movies are to me.

Ladykillers is just plain bad though, oh well.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #31874 on: June 03, 2010, 12:20:20 AM »
hey!  good timing!

No Country for Old Men (2008, The Coen Brothers)  Grade: A+

I've been rewatching a some of the films from my top 20 in an effort to refine the order.  I believe NCFOM is getting bumped up from #13 to #9 and Fargo is dropping from #8 to #14.  Despite previous posts, these are far and away the two best Coen films, with Raising Arizona not far behind.  

This was this first time I got to watch this nice and loud with surround sound.  The minimalist score is fabulous.  

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31875 on: June 03, 2010, 12:58:20 AM »
NCFOM is feaken awesome, but have you watched Millers Crossing or Lebowski?
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

flieger

« Reply #31876 on: June 03, 2010, 02:50:20 AM »

Atonement (Joe Wright, 2007)
All good enough, I suppose. The beauty of the images - and there are many beautiful compositions - is not really matched by the weight of the film. For all that I saw, it ultimately came off as a little light, too cursory, and lacking in depth. The class situations seemed to be skipped over, as if the tragedy of scapegoating the lower class lad is as nothing compared to the pristine surface of doomed romance.
Swimming in James McAvoy's deep blue eyes might have been enough for me. So young. So gorgeous. Not a bad actor, either. He's complemented by some other good performances, the three Brionys, and Knightley's brittleness. Oh and Benedict Cumberbatch as the sleaze. Cumberbatch. That is all.

dedpool1979

• Proud Member of Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
    • Logan's Movie Blog
« Reply #31877 on: June 03, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »
z, was your interpretation that the film was intentionally poking at liberal phobias or do you just enjoy it for unintentionally hitting on all cylinders? Because I certainly didn't pick up on the former, maybe because I hold to certain liberal phobias. Anyway, I did enjoy the film a good deal.

I don't think the movie was poking at liberal phobias in an ironic way, I think it was a completely unintentional expose of left wing fears and paranoias of the Bush era.  Which is what makes it so fun, it wouldn't be fun if it was some conservative movie trying to make a point.   

I mean you have a military project that the government is lying about unleash something terrible on the people.  You have the redneck citizens of a small town turn into a murderous mob of religious zealots in two days, and into a child sacrificing (we want the boy!!!) blood cult by the third day.  Among the very few people not reduced to faith induced dementia are the two city intelectuals and the local school teacher (who quips how the government is spending money on bombs and corporate handouts instead of books), the mob of toothless bible thumpers almost instantly turns on them and they are chased out of the store to avoid lynching and I assume ritual cannibalism.     

I agree...except the story was written well before G.W. took office. Great movie though, I need to pick up the Blu, I love watching the B&W cut, except I wish it looked worse. I know that sounds weird, but I think it would play better if the film stock were dirtier.

I figured out a great way of making it more grainy and old timey, simply watch the colored version after muting the colors on your TV to black and white.  Watching it in black and white this way is alot more ghetto than the crisp and polished official black and white version. 

That's flipping brilliant. I'll have to give it a go.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #31878 on: June 03, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »

The Battleship Potemkin. 1925. Directed by Sergei Eisenstein. Script by Nina Agadzhanova.

I've been on a silents kick lately, since Netflix so conveniently has many available to stream. This film I've meant to watch for several years, since I began to get seriously into film, really. So long have I heard about "the Odessa steps sequence." My comrades, that sequence does not disappoint. Incredible, moving stuff. But my favorite part of the movie?

Sorceror.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #31879 on: June 03, 2010, 02:11:44 PM »
 :D :D :D I really have to see this now.

love