Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996602 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31880 on: June 03, 2010, 02:12:52 PM »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31881 on: June 03, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »
lolrotf. Well done tinyholidays.

Gotta love Eisenstein.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31882 on: June 03, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »
 :D
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #31883 on: June 03, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »

New avatar!

Amazing idea, oad. When I hit 1000, I may switch it up to this. You all know I'm a girl now, I'm pretty sure. No reason to keep gender-specific.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31884 on: June 03, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »
The Road

"I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #31885 on: June 03, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »
The Road

"I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Nice write-up. Seems like you appreciated the movie more than I did, though I think I need to re-watch to be sure what I think of it.

On a side note and as a nit-picky English teacher, I feel the need to quarrel with your quotation and offer Frost's full poem with some key sections highlighted:

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The last three lines of the poem are the speaker's future self, a self with a revisionist memory. Sorry to be annoying. ;D

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31886 on: June 03, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
I'd expect no less from an English teacher.

It was more that the line just jumped in my mind after watching it. I don't necessarily think the two are about the same thing.

In all honesty, I just like putting stuff after the link so it looks a bit better. Half the time, I'm just making things up on the fly. A bit lazy on my part.  :P

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31887 on: June 03, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »
The last three lines of the poem are the speaker's future self, a self with a revisionist memory. Sorry to be annoying. ;D

Wait, I'm a bit confused. The poem is about a life-altering decision the poet made and him contemplating what would have happened if he had done something different then, right?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #31888 on: June 03, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I'd expect no less from an English teacher.
:)

It was more that the line just jumped in my mind after watching it. I don't necessarily think the two are about the same thing.
I figured something like that - like I said, just me being nit-picky. :)  I always like your hooks for your reviews. They're usually provocative, as a hook should be. :)

Wait, I'm a bit confused. The poem is about a life-altering decision the poet made and him contemplating what would have happened if he had done something different then, right?
Yes, that's right, 'Noke. Many people though misremember the poem and think it's about a celebration of individual choice, celebrating the idea of taking a path few others take, walking to the beat of a different drummer, that sort of thing.

The poem is basically about a choice, yes, a decision that's before that speaker - and the two alternatives look equally appealing. He knows he's going to have to choose - he wishes he could try one path and then come back and try the other later, but he knows that "way leads on to way" and he'll never come back. He's just going to have to choose one path. But he knows he'll always wonder about the "road not taken," what life would have been if he'd taken that road. And to comfort himself in later years, he'll justify the path he did take by describing it as the road "less traveled," even though it wasn't.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #31889 on: June 03, 2010, 05:08:16 PM »
Pirates of Silicon Valley (Martyn Burke, 1999)

This film might make my top 100, I like it that much. It's about the dawn of the personal computer, the battle between Apple and Microsoft, one BIG idea, and the two revolutionaries who raced to claim it as their own. The story is an absolutely fascinating slice of recent history. Based on the novel Fire in the Valley: The Making of The Personal Computer, this movie is to a computer nerd what Almost Famous is to a... something. Okay, that comparison failed but lemme just say that both films have the same sense of nostalgia, and truth and feeling that what happened back then was important... what happened back then changed the world forever.

It's an amazing story and the film does it justice. The storytelling is creative and keeps you engaged. The acting is fun, and even though Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Paul Allan and Steve Ballmer are all still alive, it's enjoyable to see them portrayed in ways you otherwise wouldn't. It brings a human element back into the mix. It's even got an enjoyable soundtrack. Don't get me wrong though, this movie isn't all roses and kittens. It has a dark and dirty side, and that's where the real interest lies. Horay for not glazing over the ugly truth.

Three cheers for made-for-TV movies (and bringing modern history to life)!

This is the third or fourth time I've watched it.

IMDB link