Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996509 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31910 on: June 04, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
I was just glad it wasn't 9 hours long like He's Just Not That Into You.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #31911 on: June 04, 2010, 12:56:17 PM »
The Ugly Truth Robert Luketic, 2009
P.S. I Love You next?

Dear John!

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #31912 on: June 04, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
I've no idea where the connection fits in but this is a great pull-quote.

Even if Lady Gaga herself were to turn up to meet you in the bleachers during the screening, there is no earthly reason for anyone to spend their time or money on "Killers,"

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #31913 on: June 04, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »
I'll be seeing it on DVD. Always interested in checking out anything involving the Kutch.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #31914 on: June 04, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »
Umberto D.
Directed by Vittorio De Sica; Written by Cesare Zavattini

Still, at the end of the day, impressive filmmaking, impressive writing, and an impressive film well deserving of being someone's #1 film of all time.

Like Wendy and Lucy, I'm afraid to watch this movie because of the dog.  I'm pathetic.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #31915 on: June 04, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
Umberto D.
Directed by Vittorio De Sica; Written by Cesare Zavattini

Still, at the end of the day, impressive filmmaking, impressive writing, and an impressive film well deserving of being someone's #1 film of all time.

Like Wendy and Lucy, I'm afraid to watch this movie because of the dog.  I'm pathetic.

It is quite the heartbreaking picture, for those of us with hearts, and that's not spoilers, it's just, ya know, a dog.  :'(

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #31916 on: June 04, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
The Mist

Watched it again, love this flick.  Its a great corny B movie, classic King.  One of the rare movies with an enormous cast that actually work. 

What I love about this film the most is that it is a timecapsule of Bush era liberal paranoia.  Pretty much every left wing Bush era phobia is on display, what The Body Snatchers were to the 50's, this film is to the 00's.  You get distrust of the military, fears that the government is doing something terrible and lying about it, visions of overwhelming enviromental catastrophy brought on by human negligence, a paranoid view of religious people as lunatics who beneath their friendly and pious exterior are really demented cultists who are one small provocation away from child sacrifice, a latent fear of rural areas and the people who inhabit them, and lastly a morbid terror of being a rational few hopelessly outnumbered by a mob of lunatics and fanatics.  Loved it.

8/10

Well at heart King is a good ol' 60s hippie type liberal and all those tropes are very evident not only in The Mist novella, which was published slap in the middle of the Reagan era, but also in most of his early work.  Carrie has the religious paranoia; distrust of the military in The Stand and Firestarter, and bunches of short stories in Night Shift; ditto the government being up to something horrible in all those books plus The Dead Zone; The Stand also touches on overwhelming environmental catastrophe/human negligence, and the terror of being one of a few rational people surrounded by lunatics (although that isn't just a liberal fear, that's a basic human fear that is expressed by both the zombie mythos and the visions of torch and pitchfork waving villagers in Frankenstein).  And he was smack in the middle of the zeitgeist of the time, with all the fiction thrillers about nefarious government projects and all the horror movies that were based on fears of polution and "ecology" (a word that just seems dipped in earth tone nostalgia now).

The one thing that King doesn't always have is a fear of rural Americans, as the level headed rational types just as often come from the rural areas as the drooling idiots do.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #31917 on: June 04, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
Get Him to the Greek - 8/10

WOW. I cannot believe this movie worked. I cannot believe how WELL it worked. My jaw was hurting at times from laughing so much. I think Brand deserves at least a Globe nom for his performance.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31918 on: June 04, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
Get Him to the Greek - 8/10

WOW. I cannot believe this movie worked. I cannot believe how WELL it worked. My jaw was hurting at times from laughing so much. I think Brand deserves at least a Globe nom for his performance.

I find this very surprising. And you're not the only person I've heard it from. I guess I do have to see it.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #31919 on: June 04, 2010, 04:38:43 PM »
Easy argument to end...

The Family Guy is the dumbest show to ever air on TV. It thinks one thing is funny, making stupid pop culture references. It is actually pretty bad at even that, it's sole purpose.

The Family Guy is mediocre, but it's no The West Wing when it comes to bad TV.  :)

Movies>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>99.99% of TV Series, that .01% has Seinfeld in it.

Or LOST for that matter.

Wow, seriously?

True Blood, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Fringe, LOST, Modern Family, Glee, Doctor Who, Treme, The Pacific, United States of Tara, Chuck, Damages, Friday Night Lights, Party Down, The Tudors, How I Met Your Mother, House, Justified, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Sons of Anarchy, Parks and Recreation, Community, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Eastbound & Down, In Treatment, Dexter, Bored to Death, The Venture Bros.?

Television is so much stronger than the movie industry right now I'd be willing to call this television's second golden age.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:40:16 PM by tjwells »