Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998516 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32150 on: June 07, 2010, 06:22:52 PM »
True Grit (Henry Hathaway, 1969)

This movie was just okay for me, for the most part it was pretty boring, and even though the premise was a good idea, I think the execution was really poor.  Never was there any real danger even though serious things were happening.  It has a few laughs and a few good lines, but that was about it.  I am really excited to see what the Coen Brothers can do with this story, because it is a good story, just didn't work in this context.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32151 on: June 07, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »

Zoo (2007, Robinson Devor)

I never would have imagined a movie about bestiality could be so boring.

Yep.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #32152 on: June 07, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »
the movie inspired me to check the book out of the library today.

And you people dissing this movie are insane.  It's fantastic.  Now I want to go back and watch To Have and Have Not again, and see the other two Bogie/Bacall movies as well (Key Largo and....something....)

The book is really good and explains a lot of stuff that's necessarily muddled in the film (to the film's benefit, I think).  You still won't find out who killed the chauffeur though.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32153 on: June 07, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »
the movie inspired me to check the book out of the library today.

And you people dissing this movie are insane.  It's fantastic.  Now I want to go back and watch To Have and Have Not again, and see the other two Bogie/Bacall movies as well (Key Largo and....something....)

The book is really good and explains a lot of stuff that's necessarily muddled in the film (to the film's benefit, I think).  You still won't find out who killed the chauffeur though.

Yeah, love the book.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32154 on: June 07, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »

Zoo (2007, Robinson Devor)

I never would have imagined a movie about bestiality could be so boring.

Yep.

dang I was looking forward to this one. :(

Cyrbrough

« Reply #32155 on: June 07, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »

Gammera The Invincible - (1966)

This is the version by American International Pictures edited with added scenes for US audiences. A mysterious squadron of Soviet planes is shot down in the Arctic which was carrying an atomic bomb, that accidentally goes off which releases a giant turtle frozen there for millions of years. A series of UFO sightings then occur which turn out to be the turtle who promptly lands and goes on a rampage in Japan. I actually quite liked the inserts, the discussion about the reality or not of the giant turtle was hilarious. The acting in these parts is in no way bad, it fits the movie perfectly. They are very very cheap but acceptable. The rest of the Japanese scenes are dubbed with slight accents added, although jarring at times they are not overly stupid. The real reason you watch this movie is for the special effects which I love. They are obviously models but they have a charm in them that released my inner child. There is also real fire flying about the place which is always a plus. The subplot with the boy could have been removed (one thing I cannot abide by in films is annoying children) but then he wouldn't fit the bill of friend to all children. I guess you could complain about the stupid ending, they send him on a rocket to Mars but then it's a giant monster movie so it has to be taken on its own terms. It is really to support the moral that international cooperation is a good thing and to allow for sequels.
"Cristiano Ronaldo: The Movie" staring Gael Garcia Bernal. I'd pay to see it.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #32156 on: June 07, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
The Secret of Kells (Tomm Moore & Nora Twomey, 2009)

So glad I caught up with this one. Absolutely love the animation and art direction. I really love Celtic design (and music), so this was totally up my alley. I found the story pretty magical as well. The mythology and creativity is really fun, and it's all just perfectly executed. Highly recommended!

Nathan Adams

• Temple of Reviews
« Reply #32157 on: June 07, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) */*****

If I had to write some sort of primer on everything that is wrong with modern cinema, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time would be the perfect place to look to begin working out a thesis statement.  Just on a surface level, there is a colon in the title: never a good sign.  Is the story original?  No.  It’s based on a video game.  Colon in the title, adaptation of an existing property, and that property is a video game to boot… that’s three strikes right there and I haven’t even gotten into discussing the film itself.  Dig a little deeper and the crap really starts to pile up.  Too much unconvincing CG, a completely miscast young actor in the lead role just because he is a name, camera work that lacks the fundamentals of sequential storytelling, a clunky script that could have used about a hundred more rewrites; the laundry list is seemingly endless.  I would be hard pressed to find any aspect of Prince of Persia that doesn’t expose it as a thoughtlessly churned out product of a creatively bankrupt studio system.  Nevertheless, I will attempt to pontificate on it’s non-virtues a bit further in order to satisfy the morbid curiosity of whomever might want to know a little bit more about Jerry Bruckheimer’s latest producer credit...

Full review at: Temple of Reviews

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32158 on: June 07, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
I liked Prince of Persia.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Cyrbrough

« Reply #32159 on: June 07, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »
I liked Prince of Persia.

Seconded.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:01:27 PM by Cyrbrough »
"Cristiano Ronaldo: The Movie" staring Gael Garcia Bernal. I'd pay to see it.