love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996959 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32160 on: June 07, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »
OlympicArtichoke
Halloween (1978)
Directed by John Carpenter; Written by John Carpenter & Debra Hill

What is so great about this film is its simplicity. Unlike some of the convoluted and complex plots seen in many other horror films, Halloween tells the viewer what is happening and still manages to scare the sh*t out of them.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

flieger

« Reply #32161 on: June 07, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »

Shane (George Stevens, 1953)
This was nice. A little heavy on the thematics, but there's a sweet chemistry between all the players, and there's something true and lovely about little Joey's devotion to Shane. With the film's reputation, I was looking hard for the subtexts I thought I might find, but it seems pretty, erm, straight. There is the ambivalence - just a little - about the new wave of settlers coming in, and the loss of the old (old?) West to groupthink and wussy pig and potato farmers, but not too much to trouble the viewer. The nuclear family remains sacrosanct and intact. The dirty jobs are left to lone men with no ties, but men like Shane seem to have this yearning to belong. If only their nature and duty and sacrifice didn't get in the way. At least his gorgeous blonde coif remained intact, and Stevens was gentleman enough not to show the upturned bucket Ladd might have used to get onto those bloody big horses...
#3 all-time according to the AFI's polling, which seems a bit much. Then again, I am an urban effete.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #32162 on: June 07, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »

Zoo (2007, Robinson Devor)

I never would have imagined a movie about bestiality could be so boring.

Yep.

dang I was looking forward to this one. :(

It's good. It's not really about that, but more about the community that the people tried to build for themselves. It's a very interesting film.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32163 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »
Voices on a Distant Star

People really need to see Shinkai's work, it is pretty well genius. It must be to get me to like slow, contemplative stuff.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #32164 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »
It's not really about that,
Fortunately those films are available.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #32165 on: June 07, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »

Zoo (2007, Robinson Devor)

I never would have imagined a movie about bestiality could be so boring.

Yep.

dang I was looking forward to this one. :(

It's good. It's not really about that, but more about the community that the people tried to build for themselves. It's a very interesting film.

No, it's not, but it was so languid and not really about much of anything in my opinion.  I just didn't find it very interesting.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #32166 on: June 07, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »
Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009)

Second viewing, still good but could be better.

I found the Gerty character was too conveniently oppositional or cooperative as the scene required. I couldn't see a consistent logic to his actions. Also, the initial moments between the two Sams did not play out very realistically imo. Oh and one more thing, I wish the emotional payoff was bigger.

These aren't major complaints, I still enjoyed the film. It has the funniest line of 2009: "You look like a radioactive tampon... like a banana with a yeast infection." And overall the story is excellent. I appreciated Sam Rockwell's performance a lot more this time around. It really is quite substantial. And the score, very nice.

Worth watching again, but dropped half a star from my first viewing.

IMDB link

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #32167 on: June 07, 2010, 08:57:22 PM »
It's not really about that,
Fortunately those films are available.
I Heart MooTube.

davidgrahammd

« Reply #32168 on: June 07, 2010, 09:46:10 PM »
Metropolis 1927

I was the person Matty was going to meet at the MusicBox but he got a bit...distracted.

Anyway, I've seen bits of the original cut. This was a revelation. The found footage is very evident but trying to imagine how the film played without it and made any sense at all is nearly impossible. So many images have been overtly taken by other movies and even some that were probably not meant. Can we honestly imagine the Wachowskis really knew that the falling numbers used to represent the Matrix 1st showed up in a 1927 German silent?

New certainly some of what we might call homo-erotic overtones related more to the acting styles of the day but there were a few times when my girlfriend was simply wanting Josaphat and Freder to just kiss already. While it was amazing to see this in a theater there an argument to be made for watching this at home and being able to throw out the occasional comment without bothering others.

And just because I have to ask...why is Freder's father named Fredersen???

Don't get me wrong...I'm really happy we saw this like we did. The images are incredible, the story still resonates as freshly as it did then, and I cannot imagine how they put some of the scenes and crowds on film. Go if you have any chance to.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #32169 on: June 07, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »

Moon (Duncan Jones, 2009)
I found the Gerty character was too conveniently oppositional or cooperative as the scene required. I couldn't see a consistent logic to his actions. Also, the initial moments between the two Sams did not play out very realistically imo. Oh and one more thing, I wish the emotional payoff was bigger.

My nerdy post for why I thought  Gerty's programming was not only consistant, but demonstrated a much more authentic reaction that you normally see in other movie robots.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:14:33 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)