Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3711920 times)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #31770 on: June 08, 2010, 12:32:30 AM »
Never seen an Errol Morris film, but this is good stuff.
Re-enactments and hypnotic score.

Enigma plays Gettysburg?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31771 on: June 08, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »
Rear Window
  But this time everything was ten times more fun because I was able to see it on the big screen. 

Lucky.  I'm jealous. 

Yeah. Where did you see it? They're showing it at a theatre here in Toronto on Thursday followed by The Birds.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31772 on: June 08, 2010, 12:47:56 AM »
Rear Window
  But this time everything was ten times more fun because I was able to see it on the big screen. 

Lucky.  I'm jealous. 

Does it make me a bad film geek that my reaction is, "why would I pay theatre bucks to see something that's available on DVD?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #31773 on: June 08, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »
Rear Window

Lucky.  I'm jealous. 

Does it make me a bad film geek that my reaction is, "why would I pay theatre bucks to see something that's available on DVD?"

Yes. Yes it does. :D
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #31774 on: June 08, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
Rear Window

Lucky.  I'm jealous. 

Yeah, that's just nonsensical.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31775 on: June 08, 2010, 01:06:14 AM »

Faust (F.W. Murnau, 1926) -

Glad you watched it.  I love Murnau and this is my favorite even more so than Sunrise.  I think what is so good about this movie is the imagery, the gothic presentation of the plague infested town is absolutely great.  I agree that the plot, especially the middle part does not really hold up, I think it was an attempt to turn Faust into something commercial (look a love story!) still overall its a great film.

More people need to watch this.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #31776 on: June 08, 2010, 02:08:02 AM »
Very few things are as bad as The Final Destination.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #31777 on: June 08, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
Rear Window

Lucky.  I'm jealous. 

Yeah, that's just nonsensical.

The lack of integrity and morals in young cinephiles today is a most sickened state of affairs!
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #31778 on: June 08, 2010, 04:51:24 AM »

Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson, 1970)
Five Easy Pieces @ 36 > Five Easy Pieces @ 15.
Nicholson as Bobby Dupea is so, so good. What he's given to work with is so, so good. Stuck in a traffic jam, snarling at a dog and then being driven away on the back of a truck, playing to his own tune on the piano while the truck veers off onto the offramp. Playing a simple piece on the piano at the behest of a beautiful woman he hopes to bed, the camera pans across family photos on the wall and stops at her face, eyes beset with emotion. Bobby undercuts her reaction with venom, but also with truth. That's Bobby, a supremely conflicted man. A man in search of truth, perhaps, but constantly teetering on the edge of fury. Whether that fury comes from his inability to reconcile what he knows, what he feels, what he sees and what he is, or whether the line between rebellion and thuggishness is too permeable for such a personality, is largely unimportant. The man is there, the tragedy is apparent, especially to him, and yet the running continues. Is this the best American film of the 1970s? Quite possibly.

I am not sure if I have seen this. I will have to seek this out, and decide whether it really is better than The Godfather/Chinatown/Carrie/Taxi Driver/Dog Day Afternoon etc...... ;)
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31779 on: June 08, 2010, 05:33:56 AM »

Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson, 1970)
Five Easy Pieces @ 36 > Five Easy Pieces @ 15.
Nicholson as Bobby Dupea is so, so good. What he's given to work with is so, so good. Stuck in a traffic jam, snarling at a dog and then being driven away on the back of a truck, playing to his own tune on the piano while the truck veers off onto the offramp. Playing a simple piece on the piano at the behest of a beautiful woman he hopes to bed, the camera pans across family photos on the wall and stops at her face, eyes beset with emotion. Bobby undercuts her reaction with venom, but also with truth. That's Bobby, a supremely conflicted man. A man in search of truth, perhaps, but constantly teetering on the edge of fury. Whether that fury comes from his inability to reconcile what he knows, what he feels, what he sees and what he is, or whether the line between rebellion and thuggishness is too permeable for such a personality, is largely unimportant. The man is there, the tragedy is apparent, especially to him, and yet the running continues. Is this the best American film of the 1970s? Quite possibly.

I am not sure if I have seen this. I will have to seek this out, and decide whether it really is better than The Godfather/Chinatown/Carrie/Taxi Driver/Dog Day Afternoon etc...... ;)

It's not...but it's still a great film in it's own right.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.