Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998541 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32210 on: June 08, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »
Sam, it plays on the Sundance Channel quite a bit, and I recorded it because of some praise I heard, and I found it dissapointing. You may like it.
I should see if I get this channel, but I doubt it. Even if I did, my family still hasn't made the transition to Tivo.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #32211 on: June 08, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »
Without the scene at the music rehearsal I would probably agree with you a lot more. Personally I thought that brought a lot of other implications to the rest of the story that made it a lot less "empty". I also really enjoyed the aesthetic and rather clever uses of action, so I was pretty much along for the ride regardless.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32212 on: June 08, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »
Second half of Airplane!

Young Boy with Coffee: Excuse me, I happened to be passing, and I thought you might like some coffee.
Little Girl: Oh, that's very nice of you, thank you.
[takes coffee]
Little Girl: Oh, won't you sit down?
Young Boy with Coffee: Cream?
Little Girl: No, thank you, I take it black, like my men.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32213 on: June 08, 2010, 04:15:50 PM »
lol, that's like one of the three scenes of Airplane I've seen and it makes me laugh each time I think about it. I should just rent that film.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32214 on: June 08, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
lol, that's like one of the three scenes of Airplane I've seen and it makes me laugh each time I think about it. I should just rent that film.

Do. There are loads of jokes as funny as that.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32215 on: June 08, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »
A Bittersweet Life

Sentimental gangtser revenge bullshit combined with a Neo-Western that does really nothing with the genre aesthetically, thematically or emotionally. Is midly engrossing and has entertaining scenes, like a clever one with some gun dealers, but this is really just Twilight for guys, basically. Ya know, when Jean-Pierre Melville did something sort of like this with Le Samourai, he was depicting isolation and making a formal exploration of space, expressionism and aesthetic economy to tell a near-silent love story that becomes utterly poignant the more it reveals itself. This, in comparison is just romanticised, posturing, "wouldn't it be cool" Cinema nonsense. Even compared to the recent A Prophet (which is a masterpiece) from Jacques Audiard or what Kim's contemporary Bong Joon-Ho does with the serial killer movie (Meories Of Murder) and the monster movie (The Host) and his other comtempory Park Chan-Wook does with revenge with the astonishing Oldboy, the problems, for me, become even more apparent.

Wow, I could not possibly disagree more. I loved this movie.

May I ask why? The only scene I thought was clever was the aforementioned gun dealer one, which was darkly funny and a nice "Bomb Under The Table" Hitchcockian scene.

Sam, it plays on the Sundance Channel quite a bit, and I recorded it because of some praise I heard, and I found it dissapointing. You may like it.

I thought it played like a perfect Tarantino-esque film. The glossiness was what made it great.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #32216 on: June 08, 2010, 04:56:14 PM »
Eyes Wide Shut
How is Kubrick continuously able to make a two and a half hour movie pass by in an instant.
Much like Hitchcock he can just create this amazing tension that keeps me completely engrossed in the story. Cruise out-acts Kidman who I didn't like all that much, but we don't spend too much time with her so I didn't mind.
Only Kubrick films I have left are Barry Lyndon and his first few.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #32217 on: June 08, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
Eyes Wide Shut
How is Kubrick continuously able to make a two and a half hour movie pass by in an instant.

Because he's Kubrick and he's freaking awesome, that's how. :) You should love Barry Lyndon, I know that I really loved it, and a few others around here loved it as well, even the hard to please Noff.  :P

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32218 on: June 08, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »
Eyes Wide Shut
Much like Hitchcock he can just create this amazing tension that keeps me completely engrossed in the story. Cruise out-acts Kidman who I didn't like all that much, but we don't spend too much time with her so I didn't mind.
Only Kubrick films I have left are Barry Lyndon and his first few.

Eyes is one of the my favorite all time films. It is so poorly understand and wrongly maligned I am glad you loved it.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #32219 on: June 08, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »
Eyes Wide Shut

Because he's Kubrick and he's freaking awesome, that's how. :) You should love Barry Lyndon, I know that I really loved it, and a few others around here loved it as well, even the hard to please Noff.  :P

:) I have a hard time deciding which one I like more.