love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997075 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32270 on: June 09, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
The Box (2009)

What's in the box?
....a steaming pile of..... ;)

I agree with your take, although I think your expectations were probably pretty low which helped.
Yea, coming in not expecting much did make the film seem a lot better than it was.

The Box (2009)

What's in the box?

I figured you'd like it. :)

I agree with you that this film isn't so far away from really being something. I do like the concept. The way Kelly executes it though... I found it so clunky. And the pacing is nothing short of lethargic (the trailer made it look like a thriller). Attempts at spookiness fail completely (like the kid holding up two fingers etc).
Yea, I could see that. My dad watched it with me and he said it was way too slow for him. He was like, Hichcock would have made that film suspenseful and shorter. And I was like Yea, but it wouldn't have aliens. And Kelly is really my biggest problem with the film. The direction is just so poor. Give this to Lynch or someone who knows how to make films like this.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #32271 on: June 09, 2010, 12:38:19 PM »
The Box (2009)

What's in the box?

I figured you'd like it. :)

I agree with you that this film isn't so far away from really being something. I do like the concept. The way Kelly executes it though... I found it so clunky. And the pacing is nothing short of lethargic (the trailer made it look like a thriller). Attempts at spookiness fail completely (like the kid holding up two fingers etc).
Yea, I could see that. My dad watched it with me and he said it was way too slow for him. He was like, Hichcock would have made that film suspenseful and shorter. And I was like Yea, but it wouldn't have aliens. And Kelly is really my biggest problem with the film. The direction is just so poor. Give this to Lynch or someone who knows how to make films like this.
Lynch would be interesting. Shamalamadingdong feels like he'd be a good fit too (assuming you like the guy).

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #32272 on: June 09, 2010, 12:39:13 PM »
Oh man, The Box was the first film of Kelly's where I felt he truly showed a nice visual progression as a director, I do think above all else The Box is a visually special film.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #32273 on: June 09, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »
I definitely wouldn't give a vagina with teeth 10/10
Mary and Max however is an amazing film. 10/10

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32274 on: June 09, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »
I like him when he's good.

Which is to say when his films don't hinge upon one big twist.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #32275 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »

Wait, who are you talking about?

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #32276 on: June 09, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »
Mary and Max

This movie is like a vagina with teeth.  You think you are in for something pleasant and fun, but it has different plans for you altogether.        

Have you seen his short "Harvie Krumpet"? This guy specializes in gallows comedy that is surprisingly poignant. I'm really looking forward to "Mary And Max".

I have not but I will find it.  He is definitely another animator to watch in the future, along with many other new and talented animators.  I believe animation has been undergoing a renaissance in the last 25 years, it has slowly been transforming from entertainment for children into a full fledged artform (something Fantasia and Prince Achmed tried to do but were about half a century ahead of their time).

I definitely wouldn't give a vagina with teeth 10/10
Mary and Max however is an amazing film. 10/10

Agreed, Mary and Max is amazing.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32277 on: June 09, 2010, 02:19:14 PM »

Wait, who are you talking about?
Shamalamadingdong

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #32278 on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:46 PM »
Oh man, The Box was the first film of Kelly's where I felt he truly showed a nice visual progression as a director, I do think above all else The Box is a visually special film.

Kelly's always been a talented visualist - its execution he has issues with - esp in plotting and story.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #32279 on: June 09, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »

Animal Kingdom (David Michôd, 2010)
Fascinating, unsettling crime drama, opening with Josh and his mum sitting on the couch watching Deal or No Deal, and ending with Josh giving his grandma a cuddle. A film where family constrains and corrodes, creating this weird insular, nebulous universe filled with resigned, laconic paranoia, intense connections (especially Jacki Weaver's grandma), and in Josh's case, a withdrawn, inarticulate watchfulness. The police of the armed robbery squad, or the drug squad - the ones in plainclothes - come across as these ominous figures in suits, as inexplicable and omnipresent as the suits in the Matrix, but sitting in Fords outside suburban homes.

A strange film, seemingly following the narrative of a boy's education in the underworld, it refuses to go down well-worn paths, instead opting for mood and atmosphere, echoing the nihilistic drift of the protagonists in the family in response to ruthless, crooked protagonists of the state. Where sullen paranoiacs lash out at the nearest convenient target. At times I was not convinced by this, as it refuses to go down the well-worn path of the classic cinematic narrative (one thinks of Un prophete, and the education and ascent of a young man in the ways and hierarchy of the crime world), but the downward spiral has its own power. The score has shadows of the 80s with its synthetic tones and drones, and the cinematography captures the urban nightscape - especially the lighting - and the bleached 'burbs wonderfully. The Cody family ensemble is superb - especially Weaver as the matriarch, and Mendelsohn as Uncle Andrew - and Frecheville as the young Josh is either a genius, or his blank, downcast nature has been well-used by the director. I don't know. Kids these days are just so hard to read.

Very nice review. I think Josh was well-used.

That screenshot just reminded me of the fear I had for the innocent kid in the back of the car. Remember parents - don't let your children start dating until they are at least 28!

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway