love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5995981 times)

flieger

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32280 on: June 09, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »

This Gun For Hire (Frank Tuttle, 1942)
Without this film we wouldn't have many of the iconic moments from Le Samourai - Jef's room, the railway bridge - so that's good enough for me. Without Alan Ladd's angel-of-death performance as Raven we wouldn't have the studied coolness of Delon. Again, good enough for me. The dialogue is great, "You're trying to make me go soft. Well can save your oil I don't go soft for anybody." Or: "How do you feel when you're doing it?" "I feel fine." The set-pieces and outdoor locations are fantastic. The killings are brutal. What more do you want from noir?

How about Veronica Lake?

She is rather nice.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32281 on: June 09, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »

When did she work with Johnny Depp?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #32282 on: June 09, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »
Mary and Max

This movie is like a vagina with teeth.  You think you are in for something pleasant and fun, but it has different plans for you altogether.        

Have you seen his short "Harvie Krumpet"? This guy specializes in gallows comedy that is surprisingly poignant. I'm really looking forward to "Mary And Max".

I have not but I will find it.  He is definitely another animator to watch in the future, along with many other new and talented animators.  I believe animation has been undergoing a renaissance in the last 25 years, it has slowly been transforming from entertainment for children into a full fledged artform (something Fantasia and Prince Achmed tried to do but were about half a century ahead of their time).

I definitely wouldn't give a vagina with teeth 10/10
Mary and Max however is an amazing film. 10/10

Agreed, Mary and Max is amazing.

So much love for Mary and Max, but it did not appear in the 2009 Filmspots, nor in the Best of the Decade.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #32283 on: June 09, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »
Probably issues of actually seeing it, as was the case with Kells and A Town Called Panic.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #32284 on: June 09, 2010, 04:24:03 PM »
Mary and Max

This movie is like a vagina with teeth.  You think you are in for something pleasant and fun, but it has different plans for you altogether.         

Have you seen his short "Harvie Krumpet"? This guy specializes in gallows comedy that is surprisingly poignant. I'm really looking forward to "Mary And Max".

I have not but I will find it.  He is definitely another animator to watch in the future, along with many other new and talented animators.  I believe animation has been undergoing a renaissance in the last 25 years, it has slowly been transforming from entertainment for children into a full fledged artform (something Fantasia and Prince Achmed tried to do but were about half a century ahead of their time).

I definitely wouldn't give a vagina with teeth 10/10
Mary and Max however is an amazing film. 10/10

Agreed, Mary and Max is amazing.

So much love for Mary and Max, but it did not appear in the 2009 Filmspots, nor in the Best of the Decade.

Maybe it will appear in the 2010 Filmspots (should be eligible by DVD release, right?)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #32285 on: June 09, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »
Is Pixar releasing a movie this year?  If so there is no point nominating other animated films for Filmspots.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #32286 on: June 09, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »
Pixar lost last year.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32287 on: June 09, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
Is Pixar releasing a movie this year?  If so there is no point nominating other animated films for Filmspots.

Early reviews say Toy Story 3 < How To Train Your Dragon

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #32288 on: June 09, 2010, 05:31:15 PM »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #32289 on: June 09, 2010, 05:44:15 PM »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.