Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997159 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32320 on: June 10, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
The Men Who Stare at Goats

Certainly a fun story with interesting characters, but the telling is a bit too scattershot and never hit the right pace for me.  Clooney and Bridges are a lot of fun, but McGregor just isn't an actor I enjoy, especially when he's chewing that American accent.  I think all the elements were in place for a really fun, funny film, but things just didn't quite come together.

C

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #32321 on: June 10, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »
The Informant!

Didn't expect the way the movie was paced or the style of music, but it was really funny. I did feel a little bad about laughing at a character with bipolar disorder.

Hamlisch was robbed of like all music awards last year.

I'm starting to think it got robbed of a lot of stuff last year. The genius of separating the POV and narrator also makes the audience somewhat disoriented. Had Soderbergh gone a more conventional route, the movie probably would have gotten more widespread acclaim.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #32322 on: June 10, 2010, 12:14:53 PM »
The Informant!

Didn't expect the way the movie was paced or the style of music, but it was really funny. I did feel a little bad about laughing at a character with bipolar disorder.

Hamlisch was robbed of like all music awards last year.

I'm starting to think it got robbed of a lot of stuff last year. The genius of separating the POV and narrator also makes the audience somewhat disoriented. Had Soderbergh gone a more conventional route, the movie probably would have gotten more widespread acclaim.

not gonna argue that - it was a top 10 film for me.

frantastical

« Reply #32323 on: June 10, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
Rear Window
  But this time everything was ten times more fun because I was able to see it on the big screen. 

Lucky.  I'm jealous. 

Yeah. Where did you see it? They're showing it at a theatre here in Toronto on Thursday followed by The Birds.

The Ohio Theatre in Columbus. They do an awesome summer movie series, and the tickets are only three or four dollars. Singin' in the Rain this weekend!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #32324 on: June 10, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »
Rear Window
  But this time everything was ten times more fun because I was able to see it on the big screen. 

Lucky.  I'm jealous. 

Yeah. Where did you see it? They're showing it at a theatre here in Toronto on Thursday followed by The Birds.

The Ohio Theatre in Columbus. They do an awesome summer movie series, and the tickets are only three or four dollars. Singin' in the Rain this weekend!

Are you in Columbus? Because I am from there, going to school in Cincy, and actually I am going home this weekend and am definitely looking into Singin' in the Rain.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #32325 on: June 10, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »

The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)

Wonderful.

Glad you liked it as much as you did Flieger.  It is a great film, you should watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence as well.  Long live the Duke.

Whole heartedly agree with this suggestion.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32326 on: June 10, 2010, 05:59:14 PM »

That Touch of Mink

I feel like Warner Bros. and Clooney's agent spend every day hoping/wishing/praying that George would decide to remake this film.  Is it possible for a 1962 feature to be based on a movie star who was only a year old when the film was released?

In the film Cary Grant plays a billionaire very happy with his bachelor lifestyle.  He meets Doris Day and romance is in the air, but he has no intention of ever getting married.  He's very upfront about it, which gives her pause.  She doesn't enter into a relationship lightly.  She doesn't entertain the notion that she can change his mind.  He's just this wonderful combination of honest and nice.  He's Cary Grant.  She can't easily walk away from him.  

The key here, what modern rom-coms are completely lacking, is there's no doubt that Grant's intentions are honorable.  He's not a slick hustler trying to smooth talk a woman into his bed, but a sincere fellow who's definitely attracted to Day.  He just doesn't see himself getting married.  It's a natural lifestyle difference between two people who are fond of each other.  The sexual politics are very interesting.

Yes, this is a dated film - which is why it deserves the remake - but the sexual politics are played very real and not just used as rom-com plot contrivance.  This is so perfect for Clooney, he could write the screenplay.  You could even go meta with it, have Clooney play himself and hire Charlie Kaufman to write it.  It would further cement Clooney's status as a hollywood icon, and make a fortune at the box office.

But we all know Clooney would never, ever consider furthering the Cary Grant comparisons by making a film like this.  Which is a shame for his fans, his company... and his agent.

Grade: B-
Remake Potential: A

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #32327 on: June 10, 2010, 06:10:41 PM »
That Touch of Mink

Watching That Touch of Mink and other Doris Day films on TCM when I was a tween got me into "old movies," and I'll always have a soft spot for them. What I really like about TToM, looking back, is the pacing. And the outfits. Okay. A lot of it is the outfits.

I'd never considered it for a remake. Feel like Down with Love kind of killed any modern consideration of this type of film for awhile.

Mandrake

• Elite Member
  • Do you pick your toes in Poughkeepsie?
    • Nat's Media Rap
« Reply #32328 on: June 10, 2010, 06:16:08 PM »

Surrogates (Jonathan Mostow, 2009)

Surrogates presents some good ideas surrounding the concept of culture’s continuing interest in anonymity through technological advances in alter egos sans Facebook, Twitter, Chatroulette, etal.  A surrogate is a beautiful “robot” that takes the place of the real human and lives his life with the supposed benefits of being young and attractive.  Unfortunately the film is bogged down in its genre’s most annoying cliches.  As an example ONE fat guy / uber geek non surrogate (whose is of course, proud of his overweight, real presence) singularly controls surrogate surrvellience for the entire city of New York.  Make sense?  No.  Then we are lead to believe that the makers of this technology have advanced it to the point where the entire developed world is dominated by these alter egos whilest the owners of the surrogates sit in futuristic portal chairs in their dirty and unkept apartments and pop psychotropic pills during those unfortunate times that they exist without their golden doubles.  Ill equipped rebel groups (living in ridiculously conceived “ghettos” in the middle of New York) exist that may or may not want to bring the surrogates down in place of their better selves.   In better hands (perhaps Kubrick, who’s ideas from A. I. permeate ham handedly throughout), the cliches could have been avoided.  The redeeming factor in this movie is Bruce Willis and his very understated and believable performance.   Add to the performance list Rosamund Pike (Willis’ wife also seen in the excellent An Education) in another impressive performance who inhabits her surrogate with a complexity not found elsewhere in the film.

** / *****
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:24:32 PM by Mandrake »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32329 on: June 10, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
That Touch of Mink
I'd never considered it for a remake. Feel like Down with Love kind of killed any modern consideration of this type of film for awhile.

I definitely wouldn't try to copy the style.  Yes, these kinds of characters would have very expensive trappings, but this should be told in a modern style, not a throwback.