Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996628 times)

Cyrbrough

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32330 on: June 10, 2010, 06:33:41 PM »
Le Roi et L'Oiseau [The King and the Mockingbird] - 1980

A tyrant king rules over his subjects from his lofty tower creating a cult of personality about himself. Meanwhile paintings of a shepherdess and a chimney sweep come alive whilst a portrait of the king also comes alive and he has fallen for the shepherdess. Has a dreamlike logic that you are swept away with. Incredibly anti-monarchist, but then again, it is French. Brilliantly captures the magic that animated films can have. The score is a treat as well.

Grade: 8.6/10
"Cristiano Ronaldo: The Movie" staring Gael Garcia Bernal. I'd pay to see it.

NedMeier

• Elite Member
« Reply #32331 on: June 10, 2010, 07:54:56 PM »
Mary and Max

This is beautiful, and pretty dark.... actually, kind of overwhelmingly dark in the third act.

****-ish

This will be on Netflix Instant Watch next Tuesday! I saw it at the Traverse City Film Fest last year. It was my favorite film. I thought it was great.
Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32332 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
Mary and Max

This is beautiful, and pretty dark.... actually, kind of overwhelmingly dark in the third act.

****-ish

This will be on Netflix Instant Watch next Tuesday! I saw it at the Traverse City Film Fest last year. It was my favorite film. I thought it was great.

Where are you seeing this? There is nothing on the Netflix listing that would suggest it will have NIW access.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32333 on: June 11, 2010, 01:23:13 AM »
After Life (Hirokazu Koreeda, 1998)
vs.
Moonlight Boy (Wei-Yen Yu, 1993)
Do yourself a favor and see After Life.

Harvie Krumpet

In preparation for Mary and Max I watched this short from the same direct. It is very matter-of-fact in its delivery of a quirky funny but not story of one man's life. Nothing profound but a decent 20 minutes.

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #32334 on: June 11, 2010, 06:05:44 AM »
Artificial Intelligence

I thought the first half was weak but it went on to become great after that. The images and the concepts in the second half were a treat. 7/10.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #32335 on: June 11, 2010, 08:46:45 AM »
Story of Floating Weeds (1934, Yasujiro Ozu)
B

A story of a traveling theatre group's leader who returns to the village where he fathered a child who is now going to university. Tension between the mother and the theatre manager's current mistress mount.

Nice little tale. Nothing earth shattering. There is some stunning cinematography on hand however. Very pretty shots. The movie has its share of funny moments too, especially involving a child actor who is part of the troop.

Overall, it's fine. Not sure why it's part of the Criterion Collection though.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #32336 on: June 11, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »

The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)

Wonderful.

Glad you liked it as much as you did Flieger.  It is a great film, you should watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence as well.  Long live the Duke.

Whole heartedly agree with this suggestion.

i agree as well. If I can suggest a Duke film, my favorite is True Grit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:20:14 PM by Steven O. Selsnik »

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #32337 on: June 11, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
Splice

This was absolutely great.  A B movie masterpiece, the best since The Mist.  I had a blast throughout, what a ride.  Some people complain about the ending, but as I explained in spoiler thread, I think everything that happens makes perfect sense and is the inevitable conclusion of the plot.

Really great film.  Truly brings Frankenstein into the 21st century.  If your ten year old asks you about the birds and bees, just send him or her to watch this film, they will understand.

9/10   
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32338 on: June 11, 2010, 01:20:07 PM »
Splice
If your ten year old asks you about the birds and bees, just send him or her to watch this film, they will understand.
:D

Understand and develop a strange fetish perhaps.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32339 on: June 11, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »
Yeaaaa...I dunno about that. I think they might have sexual issues if they base their knowledge on this film.

love