love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996083 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32350 on: June 11, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
Splice

Wow.  This was terrible.  Bad acting from two people I really love, worse writing.  Terrible FX/CGI, no tension and a completely boring film.  People actually liked this?

Grade F
What film did you see? This was fantastic horror with a lot of compelling moral and social quandaries. Do you usually go for horror flicks to begin with?

overall it was better than an F for sure but the final 30 minutes were pure F.

Madness...  Final 30 min were great and tied story together.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32351 on: June 11, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »
Splice

Wow.  This was terrible.  Bad acting from two people I really love, worse writing.  Terrible FX/CGI, no tension and a completely boring film.  People actually liked this?

Grade F
What film did you see? This was fantastic horror with a lot of compelling moral and social quandaries. Do you usually go for horror flicks to begin with?

overall it was better than an F for sure but the final 30 minutes were pure F.

Madness...  Final 30 min were great and tied story together.

If by tied the story together you mean came completely out of left field having nothing at all to do with the previous 3/4 of the film. :D But we can stick to the spoiler thread for this.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #32352 on: June 11, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
I don't know if the molecular biologist in me could take Splice. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32353 on: June 11, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »

Dear God,

Help THATguy find courage,
Cybrough a heart,
and thanks for giving CSSCHNEIDER good taste...

Fixed.   :P
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

flieger

« Reply #32354 on: June 11, 2010, 08:25:52 PM »

In Cold Blood (Richard Brooks, 1967)
Nice, low-key rendition of Capote's "novel of fact", mixing a quasi-documentary feel with noirish lighting and angles. I liked the recurring motif of the headlights of the cars journeying through the night on those long, straight roads. Although the seeming endless flatness of the landscape is not as obsessively portrayed as in Capote, the lines are still there, on the road, in the Clutter house (whose interior comes off as stark and minimalist), the interrogation rooms, and jail.
The dynamic between Dick (Scott Wilson) and Perry (Robert Blake) is fantastic. The amoral charm of Dick - often calling Perry "Honey" - contrasting with the nervous, tightly-wound remorse of Perry, gives those long sojourns on the road some sort of rhythm. Don't know about the psychologising of Perry that goes on: his mum, his dad, that sort of thing. I think that starts to make the crime particular and peculiar to them, which is not what I thought the book was ultimately about, with Capote obsessing over the apparent ordinary meaninglessness of the crime via the accumulation of detail. It grated, and took something away from their situation.
Still, the state-sanctioned killings come off as just as meaningless. The delusions of the state mirror the delusions of Dick and Perry. Six murders, in the end. All in cold blood.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32355 on: June 11, 2010, 08:28:51 PM »

It couldn't, the biology is atrocious. It was clearly written by someone who had barely passed high school biology and sort of remembers some of the sexier things but didn't really understand them.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #32356 on: June 11, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »

It couldn't, the biology is atrocious. It was clearly written by someone who had barely passed high school biology and sort of remembers some of the sexier things but didn't really understand them.

Its more of a manual on how to properly raise a child, and an advert for spaying your pets...
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32357 on: June 11, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32358 on: June 11, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »
Splice

Does it make the cut?  ;D

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #32359 on: June 11, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »
Splice

Does it make the cut?  ;D

Great review Sam.  Agree with you on all counts.