Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5998032 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32360 on: June 11, 2010, 11:56:16 PM »
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (John Cameron Mitchell, 2001)

Of the directors I would consider for a great directors list, John Cameron Mitchell is almost certainly the least conventional. And Hedwig and the Angry Inch has no business being a film I like. Among other things, it is structurally messy, jumping around and never really giving you a sense of time or place. Yet there is such a fantastic attitude and character embodied by Hedwig and his disintegrating search for identity.

[...]

Anyway, I'm not sure I can really say Hedwig is a great film. It doesn't really speak to me in any profound way, certainly less than I remember, and is a little too frenetic to want to watch it a lot. However, it is still a fascinating character and has great music that makes me want to see a staging of the play because I think that could be very intense with live music.

Rating: 4/5

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #32361 on: June 12, 2010, 12:59:25 AM »
Story of Floating Weeds (1934, Yasujiro Ozu)
B

A story of a traveling theatre group's leader who returns to the village where he fathered a child who is now going to university. Tension between the mother and the theatre manager's current mistress mount.

Nice little tale. Nothing earth shattering. There is some stunning cinematography on hand however. Very pretty shots. The movie has its share of funny moments too, especially involving a child actor who is part of the troop.

Overall, it's fine. Not sure why it's part of the Criterion Collection though.

I actually like Ozu's remake of it, Floating Weeds, better.  It's in color!

I'll assume that last sentence is a joke.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #32362 on: June 12, 2010, 09:38:55 AM »
Charade

The whole thing was kind of silly, but you can't go wrong with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, they had great chemistry, and I had a pleasant time watching it.

The Proposal

I don't watch a lot of romantic comedies, but I usually like Sandra Bullock ones (While You Were Sleeping is one of my favorites), and I enjoyed The Proposal as well.  I laughed a few times and it had some sweet moments.  Good enough for me.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #32363 on: June 12, 2010, 09:52:01 AM »
B

A story of a traveling theatre group's leader who returns to the village where he fathered a child who is now going to university. Tension between the mother and the theatre manager's current mistress mount.

Nice little tale. Nothing earth shattering. There is some stunning cinematography on hand however. Very pretty shots. The movie has its share of funny moments too, especially involving a child actor who is part of the troop.

I actually like Ozu's remake of it, Floating Weeds, better.  It's in color!

It wasn't a joke. It just think it's one of those movies that is good, no doubt about that, but which didn't blow my mind. I guess in my head I hold Criterion to really high standards so when I see something that's 'fine' I wonder what the guys at Criterion saw that compelled them to absolutely add it to the collection.

I read the booklet that was in the DVD box and the critic did bring up some interesting points and continuity and ellipsis, but it didn't change my opinion on the movie much. This might be partly my own problem. I should stop expecting every Criterion Collection entry to be nothing short of a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:54:24 AM by edgar00 »
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #32364 on: June 12, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »
The Proposal

I don't watch a lot of romantic comedies, but I usually like Sandra Bullock ones (While You Were Sleeping is one of my favorites), and I enjoyed The Proposal as well.  I laughed a few times and it had some sweet moments.  Good enough for me.

Sounds about right. Ryan Reynolds has good comedic timing too.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

amd

• Anything is popsicle
« Reply #32365 on: June 12, 2010, 10:57:15 AM »
B

I actually like Ozu's remake of it, Floating Weeds, better.  It's in color!

I find the remake much better as well, think it's my third favourite Ozu!

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #32366 on: June 12, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »
Charade

The whole thing was kind of silly, but you can't go wrong with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, they had great chemistry, and I had a pleasant time watching it.

It's extremely silly, hilariously so. I love Charade. Like, persistently top 10 love. Not just Hepburn and Grant, but the supporting cast are all terrific. Coburn? Matthau? I can't conceive of a better cast. And so much great dialogue. "I already know an awful lot of people, and, until one of them dies, I couldn't possibly meet anyone else."

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #32367 on: June 12, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
Charade

It's extremely silly, hilariously so. I love Charade. Like, persistently top 10 love. Not just Hepburn and Grant, but the supporting cast are all terrific. Coburn? Matthau? I can't conceive of a better cast. And so much great dialogue. "I already know an awful lot of people, and, until one of them dies, I couldn't possibly meet anyone else."

Yeah, the dialogue and 60's wackiness is great.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #32368 on: June 12, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »

2002. Written and directed by Paul Greengrass.

As I mentioned in another thread, the only Greengrass film I'd seen before this was Green Zone, which I had found almost offensively bad. But people kept talking about Bloody Sunday and United 93, so I queued them up.

It turns out that Bloody Sunday works for all the reasons that Green Zone doesn't. The camera does feel reasonably placed, the faces of the actors (most of whom were not professional actors) were not distracting, the muddled soundscape drew me in. All of these elements come together to make a unified piece, a purposeful, exciting, moving film.

I started downloading United 93 almost immediately after finishing Bloody Sunday, and I hope to get to it this weekend.

Overall ranking:  #87, between Mary Poppins and Spirited Away.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32369 on: June 12, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »
Glad you loved it Tiny. Greengrass is among the top 10 working directors imo. It's sad that so many people will only see Green Zone, which as you say is offensively bad. His others films are all pure genius.