love

Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5997333 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32370 on: June 12, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »
I just couldn't get into Bloody Sunday.  A bunch of people I don't know fighting over something I am only vaguely familiar with.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Samos

• Oote
« Reply #32371 on: June 12, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

Repo Men

D

This movie makes some basic film faux-pas like a total lack of explanations as to why people do the things they do or why they love the people they love. Furthermore it uses a cheap "plot twist" that makes no sense and leaves the viewer (myself and my friend) feel cheapend. Jude Law gives an unbalanced performance and Carice van Houten's character is there for no reason what so ever.

If you like blood, organs, sex and difficult-to-reach barcodes this may be for you, it wasn't enough for me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:40:44 PM by Samos »
Ik heb haar liever dan geluk
Ik heb haar liever dan de ware

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32372 on: June 12, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »
Glad you loved it Tiny. Greengrass is among the top 10 working directors imo. It's sad that so many people will only see Green Zone, which as you say is offensively bad. His others films are all pure genius.

Bah. Green Zone was quite good. Not as good as Bloody Sunday or United 93, but better than Greengrass' Bourne films.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32373 on: June 12, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
I just couldn't get into Bloody Sunday.  A bunch of people I don't know fighting over something I am only vaguely familiar with.

This is why I can't get into World Cup.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32374 on: June 12, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »
If Morvern Callar is a good movie than there's a case to be made for any film being a good movie (especially Transformers 2 which is better directed, better shot, and a better just as good a script).  

This emperor has no clothes.

Detailed review coming to the marathons... probably this weekend.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:49:08 PM by 1SO »

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #32375 on: June 12, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
If Morvern Callar is a good movie than there's a case to be made for any film being a good movie (especially Transformers 2 which is better directed, better shot, and a better just as good a script). 

Statements like this make me,  ::)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32376 on: June 12, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »

:D

I should move it up in my 200X marathon (a spot it earned with its BoD list placement) for pile-on potential.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32377 on: June 12, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »

You are right it is not a good movie, it is a great movie, and an proud member of my top 100. I knew you would hate it though, it is not your type of film at all.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #32378 on: June 12, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »
It wasn't a joke. It just think it's one of those movies that is good, no doubt about that, but which didn't blow my mind. I guess in my head I hold Criterion to really high standards so when I see something that's 'fine' I wonder what the guys at Criterion saw that compelled them to absolutely add it to the collection.

May not be a masterpiece in some people's minds, but don't you think it's understandable that a fine film by a major filmmaker is good enough to be added to the collection?  Not from a "great enough for me" standpoint, but from a curating one?  The latter is what I think is Criterion's position.  Comments from some of them over there indicate that they debate over what should be in the collection.  My point is that with some titles some of them may think it's a masterpiece and some may think it's just good or fine.  Given a B grade, is this Ozu film one of the "worst" Criterion films you've seen?  I haven't been blown away by a lot of their titles.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:54:41 PM by Still Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #32379 on: June 12, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »

You are right it is not a good movie, it is a great movie, and an proud member of my top 100. I knew you would hate it though, it is not your type of film at all.

Yeah, I would've bet a lot of money that 1SO would hate it. The Transformers 2 comment stings. Look forward to reading more.

love