Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996321 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32870 on: June 21, 2010, 07:50:20 AM »
It's funny. I had a similar problem with the opening 30 minutes. I was fully enjoying it, but I was still very anxious about the direction the story might be taking. Eventually I just settled in and started loving it.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32871 on: June 21, 2010, 09:05:30 AM »
So, Baby Doll is Tennessee Williams to the max: rotting plantation, strained marriage, sex problems, lots of exposition, madness, daddy issues. Oh, and also, Eli Wallach.  According to the IMDb page, "The film was ... condemned by Time Magazine, which called it the dirtiest American-made motion picture that had ever been legally exhibited."

Cool, sounds like the type of film I'd appreciate.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32872 on: June 21, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »
Layer Cake
Dir. Matthew Vaughn

This was on IFC last night.  I absolutely love this film.  It was love at first sight back when it first came out and it still ranks very highly with me.  It was one of the many films that catapulted me across the Atlantic and into my English adventures.  Good stuff.

Grade A-
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #32873 on: June 21, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
Layer Cake
Dir. Matthew Vaughn

This was on IFC last night.  I absolutely love this film.  It was love at first sight back when it first came out and it still ranks very highly with me.  It was one of the many films that catapulted me across the Atlantic and into my English adventures.  Good stuff.

Grade A-

Love this movie as well. Lots of fun.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #32874 on: June 21, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »
For a Few Dollars More - Anyone else think this guy:

looks like this guy?

Even Kobe's sneer isn't original.

joem18b

• Godfather
    • does writing excuse watching?
« Reply #32875 on: June 21, 2010, 12:02:47 PM »
Freetime Machos (2009) - Finally went to my first film festival movie - at the Provincetown International Film Festival. Yay. Thursday night, a community room with folding chairs. Four of us and four other individuals scattered about the room. Then, eight or ten others drifted in. Lakers/Celtics game 7 probably depressed attendance (we tivo'd the game and watched it later. Unfortunately.)  Kevin Smith and Tilda Swinton were given awards Saturday night down at the theater venue but we missed that. The movie was a Finnish documentary. I didn't know it was a documentary until somebody told me later, and even then I found it hard to believe. It was o.k. About guys playing rugby.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #32876 on: June 21, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »

For the first 30 minutes i was thinking, "cute but not what i was expecting after the first 2."

after that it picks up and is very entertaining with a tear jerker final scene.

the short before it was very creative.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the short. I leaned over to boyfriend and said "That is maybe the single most creative thing I've ever seen." Honestly, I liked the short more than the movie  :P
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32877 on: June 21, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »
Same, the short was fascinating. I'd rather see an entire movie about that whole dichotomy and their relationship than Toy Story 3. Plus, I always feel Pixar is at their finest when they aren't using dialogue and words. One day they need to go all out and make a feature length silent film. They could pull it off.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #32878 on: June 21, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

2006. Directed by Mamoru Hosoda. Screenplay by Sakoto Okudera. Based on the novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui.

You guys. You guys you guys. This movie. This is a charming movie. It has an irreverent, fun tone that I could jive with. It's set in high school with high-schooler characters, and it feels like it in all the best ways. Nothing fake. And the time travel (that's not a spoiler, right? I mean, it's in the title) satisfies. I feel like most movies that deal with time travel do so in a rather stupid way. I don't want to say how exactly this movie differs from that, but it seems more realistic.

I did think that the gravy train of awesome let up a little bit in the last act, when everything started moving toward resolution, so I wouldn't say The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is flawless. But it made me happy.

As an aside, I usually watch films with subtitles instead of dubbed. I'm curious about how the dub was, if anyone experienced this in that way.

Anyway, thanks animation list month for getting me to bump this to the top of my queue!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:52:21 PM by tinyholidays »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #32879 on: June 21, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
As an aside, I usually watch films with subtitles instead of dubbed. I'm curious about how the dub was, if anyone experienced this in that way.

I watch all anime dubbed if I can help it (or so long as it's not awful). This one was perfectly fine.

I'm glad you enjoyed it :)