Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996543 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32900 on: June 21, 2010, 11:03:53 PM »
SHE LOOKS SO MUCH LIKE REESE WITHERSPOON!!!!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #32901 on: June 21, 2010, 11:06:01 PM »
The Last Picture Show

I REALLY think it has a good shot at making the Top 100 this year... I know that Clovis and sam are recent converts as well.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32902 on: June 21, 2010, 11:07:30 PM »
The Last Picture Show

I REALLY think it has a good shot at making the Top 100 this year... I know that Clovis and sam are recent converts as well.

yep it's the nuts.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #32903 on: June 22, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »
Cold Mountain (Anthony Minghella, 2003)

The first half hour of this movie was pretty rough, I considered turning it off because I didn't see much potential. Thankfully once the story is properly set up and they quit with the flashbacks, the film gets much better. There's two separate stories here and they're both quite interesting. I had no trouble staying engaged once things got underway.

If there's just one thing that needed fixing with the movie it was the book-ish dialogue. It's pretty cumbersome. The cast manages to muddle through it, just. It's hard enough doing a southern accent when you don't have lines like that, so I don't blame the actors at all. I shudder to think what the movie would've been like without the talant they had.

Anyways, they whole film feels like the adaptation that it is, but it's perfectly watchable in spite of that. A good movie, certainly not great.

IMDB link

Yeah, it's not the best. At all. But it looks nice. And there's the "I marry you. I marry you. I marry you." bit, which I quote all the time because I find it hilarious for reasons that even I don't understand.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #32904 on: June 22, 2010, 12:45:56 AM »
Raising Arizona. 4th Coen Bros. I've seen now. Very funny, great character work as usual. Didn't grab me quite like the others - I felt like they violated the rules of the world they set up a few times, but I imagine there's some interesting subtexts to pick up on in a 2nd viewing. Probably in my top 100, down near the bottom.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #32905 on: June 22, 2010, 12:47:42 AM »
Raising Arizona. 4th Coen Bros. I've seen now. Very funny, great character work as usual. Didn't grab me quite like the others - I felt like they violated the rules of the world they set up a few times, but I imagine there's some interesting subtexts to pick up on in a 2nd viewing. Probably in my top 100, down near the bottom.

Glad you liked it.  One thing you definitely get on a second viewing is the brilliance of the dialog.  It's so fast paced and sometimes hard to decifer the first time through!  (well at least it was for me)  I actually didn't like this the first time I saw it.  A dozen times later it's crept pretty close to my top 25
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #32906 on: June 22, 2010, 12:57:55 AM »
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau  

I was completely charmed and captivated by this film.  It has a mixed history, having been started in 1948, released in an incomplete fashion in 1952 and then finally released completed in 1980.  I suppose because of this, it hasn't been well known, except in Japan where Studio Ghibli released a Japanese subtitled version in theatres.

The animation style is strongly reminiscent of the Warner Bros. animated shorts of the 40s, and it often reminded me of the one short, 1946's Book Revue.  But rather than simply a long short, it was a well-developed story, moving further and further into the surrealistic and by the end of the film seeming like a 1950's Japanese anime.  The main weakness of the film is the undeveloped characters, but there is so much to see, so many different ideas here, I really loved it.  That it was based on a Hans Christian Anderson story didn't hurt, either.

Highly recommended, especially for those who have yet to vote for their animated favorites.  I found it all, with a good quality image, on youtube.  4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #32907 on: June 22, 2010, 01:00:46 AM »
And there's the "I marry you. I marry you. I marry you." bit, which I quote all the time because I find it hilarious for reasons that even I don't understand.
I'm a big fan of "It's raining!".
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #32908 on: June 22, 2010, 01:17:51 AM »
And there's the "I marry you. I marry you. I marry you." bit, which I quote all the time because I find it hilarious for reasons that even I don't understand.
I'm a big fan of "It's raining!".

Yes. God. Who decided to let that mess happen?

flieger

« Reply #32909 on: June 22, 2010, 01:50:44 AM »
80s US Bracket fever!

Avant-cryptic Sleepwalk vs. all-in-the-subtext The Slumber Party Massacre???