Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 5996682 times)

flieger

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32910 on: June 22, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (Jon Turteltaub, 2007)
Essentially The Goonies rebooted with not much really being changed, except the fart jokes are replaced by arcane historical knowledge (or Nic Cage's shaggily comic performance), and the Rube Goldberg devices are made by the Olmecs, not pirates. And, like The Goonies, in the end it's all about family™. God Bless America.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #32911 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »
Raising Arizona. 4th Coen Bros. I've seen now. Very funny, great character work as usual. Didn't grab me quite like the others - I felt like they violated the rules of the world they set up a few times, but I imagine there's some interesting subtexts to pick up on in a 2nd viewing. Probably in my top 100, down near the bottom.

Glad you liked it, they are still a little amateur with this one, its only their second.  I like it too, thogh I agree it is not one of their best.  PS:  You only watched 4?  You have alot of great great movies to catch up on.   
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #32912 on: June 22, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »
Raising Arizona. 4th Coen Bros. I've seen now. Very funny, great character work as usual. Didn't grab me quite like the others - I felt like they violated the rules of the world they set up a few times, but I imagine there's some interesting subtexts to pick up on in a 2nd viewing. Probably in my top 100, down near the bottom.

Glad you liked it, they are still a little amateur with this one, its only their second.  I like it too, thogh I agree it is not one of their best.  PS:  You only watched 4?  You have alot of great great movies to catch up on.   

It does feel a little rough around the edges. And yeah - plenty of (hopefully) awesome movies to see still. In fact, until this year, I'd only seen NCFOM, to be honest.

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #32913 on: June 22, 2010, 11:22:09 AM »
Before Sunrise, Before Sunset

I had seen Before Sunset a few years ago and I remember it as a very good film. Watching Before Sunrise for the first time, it struck me as nice film but not particularly great. Sure there were dialogues you could relate to but I didn't particularly love it.

Then I watched Before Sunset again and I realised that these two were really two parts of the same film. It shows how there a few people in life you really click with, with whom may not always go on to spend the rest of your lives. There is a sense of loss but there is also the treasuring of the special memories which may not remain so special had the relationship continued and went on to go dowhill.

I loved the second film much more. The two emotional dialogues by the leads in the car were very touching as was the waltz sung at the end of the film.

Before Sunrise - 6.5/10.
Before Sunset - 7/10.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32914 on: June 22, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
The Collector

One of the best Horror/Slasher Films of recent memory.  Its pretty clever, full of tension and barely a jump scare to be found.  Sure its a bit of Halloween V tossed in a blender with Saw and a couple of other films from the genre, but you know what?  It works!  I really enjoyed it, as much as a film like this can be enjoyed.  I liked seeing how the hero responded to each challenge and how well thought out each raising of the stakes was.  I'd heard a lot of positive stuff a year ago, then it seemed to turn into a bit of backlash.  I'm glad I watched it.

Grade B+
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #32915 on: June 22, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
Ah, for a second, I thought you were reviewing the William Wyler film, and I got a little bit too excited.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32916 on: June 22, 2010, 01:19:42 PM »
Nope, that film is great, though!

I was reviewing this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844479/
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #32917 on: June 22, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »
Drop Dead Gorgeous (Michael Patrick Jann, 1999)

Critics shmitics (28 on Metacritic). Aside from the unfortunate Will Sasso bits, good stuff this is.
Grade: B+

Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals (Ezra Edelman, 2010)

I have a serious sports footage from the 80s and early 90s fetish. This thing is purely by the numbers but I really liked it.
Grade: A-

Safe (Todd Haynes, 1995)

You haters are so wrong. It’s a biting satire of affluent self-absorption, but at the same time pulls off this nifty trick where it’s totally sympathetic to Carol as well. It manages to be a cultural satire while also being a terrific thriller; so much tension in the first half of the film. Is it in her head? Is her environment making her sick? Both, I think, which in a way makes the film scarier. The final scenes, first in the dining room and then Carol in her quarters, absolutely amazing.  
Grade: A

Thirteen Days (Roger Donaldson, 2000)

This feels like TV. But not in a “we’re in a golden age of American TV” way, more like “a TNT original” way. Not that I completely disliked it; it’s not bad as a laundry folding flick. Aaron Sorkin could have done some blow and banged out a better script over a weekend. Costner is a hoot.
Grade: C+

Walking Tall (Phil Karlson, 1973)

My goodness, people were so vengeful in the 70s. Its complete lack of subtly and general homemade quality of filmmaking almost endears it enough to me to make up for how stupid it is. Almost.
Grade: C

Youth in Revolt (Miguel Arteta, 2010)

The whole, these kids are pretentious and talk like they’re in a French movie was pretty funny at times but also kind of annoying too, particularly when it came to Sheeni. I have a low tolerance for horny teenage boy movies, but I liked this one in general. And I liked that it was a coming of age story, but more absurd than precious. Cera’s still funny.
Grade: B
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:32:15 AM by matt tmw »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #32918 on: June 22, 2010, 01:50:04 PM »
Drop Dead Gorgeous (Michael Patrick Jann, 1999)

Critics shmitics (28 on Metacritic). Aside from the unfortunate Will Sasso bits, good stuff this is.
Grade: B+

Thirteen Days (Roger Donaldson, 2000)

This feels like TV. But not in a “we’re in a golden age of American TV” way, more like “a TNT original” way. Not that I completely disliked it; it’s not bad as a laundry folding flick. Aaron Sorkin could have done some blow and banged out a better script over a weekend. Costner is a hoot.
Grade: C+

Love these reviews, matt. I havent seen either of them in years, but somehow you made me want to see Thirteen Days again even more.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #32919 on: June 22, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
Yeah, Drop Dead Gorgeous is definitely underrated.

lol @ a TNT original.  :D

Safe < Stuart Saves His Family.

pixote
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:14:04 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love