Author Topic: Write about the last movie you watched (2006-2010)  (Read 3690720 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #32490 on: June 22, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Grade: 7.6/10
Grade: 5.4/10
Grade: 3.4/10

Wow, a 10 point scale with .1 increments. That is hard-core.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #32491 on: June 22, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
You're clearly not well versed in my older reviews, Bondo. You have some reading to do, young man!  :P

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32492 on: June 22, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »
You're clearly not well versed in my older reviews, Bondo. You have some reading to do, young man!  :P

Yeah, but in your case I just assumed it was random nonsense. :D

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #32493 on: June 22, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
You're clearly not well versed in my older reviews, Bondo. You have some reading to do, young man!  :P

Yeah, but in your case I just assumed it was random nonsense. :D

Never a safe assumption. Also, you know what they say about assuming: "Look at the ass on me!"

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #32494 on: June 22, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
You're clearly not well versed in my older reviews, Bondo. You have some reading to do, young man!  :P

Be rational!  (very lame math joke)
Ive lied to men who wear belts. Ive lied to men who wear suspenders. But Id never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #32495 on: June 22, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »
My Miyazaki cram session has begun!

Princess Mononoke
Hayao Miyazaki

There is a simple honesty in Miyazaki's filmmaking which makes his films feel special and connect more on a personal level.  In 'Princess Mononoke', Miyazaki's trademark fantastic imagination is almost reigned in to present a more down to earth, humanistic, tail of harmony.  It would be easy to write off Mononoke as a environmental propaganda, but there is much more here. All characters are fully developed and there are good and bad parts to all of them.  There is no single 'evil' or 'good' force here, except for perhaps Ashitaka, who is the neutral balance. Each group has their race's best intentions at heart, and rather than giving a one sided account to the story, all sides are shown, and the need for peace is augmented by showing the world in this light.

Watching the dubbed version, was a mistake I believe.  Every time I heard Billy Bob Thorton's voice it completely took me out of Miyazaki's carefully constructed fantasy world.  It's a double edged sword, either you put on the subtitles and miss some of the beauty of the animation from reading, or you put on the dubbing and get taken out by rather poor voice acting.  In the end, its a solid story, and thats what really matters.  I don't think it's the most brilliantly imagined work by Miyazaki.  I was never blown away, or totally engrossed, and yet it still has that Miyazaki essence which makes it so endearing.
Rating: 3.5/5

Spirited Away
Hayao Miyazaki

A brilliantly imagined, masterfully animated and utterly original piece of filmmaking.  Miyazaki is a master at creating completely unique and imaginative worlds to explore.  Every detail is so complete and interesting, that the visual oddities alone are enough to make this a great film.  It's as if you were privileged enough to witness someone's dream, only the person dreaming was a storytelling master like Miyazaki. 

The story of a young girl getting trapped working in a bath house for spirits may take a leap of faith to follow, but there is a beauty in such a bizarre tale.  Although the surroundings may be odd, the true story is basic and touching.  Miyazaki takes simple morals, such as the dangers of greed and gluttony and enhances them with fantastic visuals of people turning into pigs, or being eaten by a spirit.  At its core its about a little girl overcoming her fears, showing courage and falling in love. It's a completely weird, but never twisted, world and one that is endlessly interesting.
Rating: 4/5

And 'Noke, I read your review of Mononoke after writing mine, and it was really hard not to bump it up to a 4 after, but I'm sticking to my guns.. for now.  Perhaps it needs another watch.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #32496 on: June 22, 2010, 09:34:46 PM »
Prediction: both movies will grown on you. I can almost guarantee it. :)

Glad you liked them already, though!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #32497 on: June 22, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »
12 Rounds.

Cena is not good. He just stares when he is supposed to be emotional, and he can't even do the action movie lines. And the Irish guy doesn't sound at all Irish. It seems like they went back and redid all of his lines with only a slight hint of an accent. None of the action is even good. Oh, Renny, how far you have fallen.

D.

P.S. I'm also quite sure that police officers don't hold their belts suspiciously like a wrestling champion belt thingie...
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #32498 on: June 22, 2010, 09:45:44 PM »
Agree, that movie sucked.

@BlueVoid - yay! :)

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #32499 on: June 22, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
Anyone else watch The Two Escobars on ESPN? I think tonight was the premiere. I definitely enjoyed it - very interesting story of Colombia. The quantity of archival footage was astounding (assuming that none of it was faked).